1 2 3
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/21 11:00 p.m.

I'd never heard of that before but I now understand it completely video linky

Not even the radio would change the outcome of this one

I would never advocate running from the cops. That said, many who don't ride can't conceptualize how hard a modern sport bike can accelerate. laugh Not one to be overused, but a great tool in the experienced motorcyclist's toolkit for dealing with idiots in traffic.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/30/21 11:50 p.m.

Yup. Even a moderately fast motorcycle is faster than most cars.

We had a detailer working for us who thought his E36M3 was hot stuff. I had my Moto Guzzi Stelvio at work which is not a lightning fast bike but it's fast enough. He jokingly asked "Want to race for pinks?" and looked really shocked when I immediately said "Hell yes, lets go!".

He declined to continue.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/31/21 12:45 a.m.

I wonder how fast he went

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
10/31/21 1:11 a.m.

After you've ridden almost any motorcycle, every car is a slowcarfast preposition. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/31/21 6:35 a.m.

Going to motorcycles has completely nixed my need for track days. And I don't ride fast. I just get my speed jollies from the experience of feeling 'actual' speeds I guess.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/31/21 7:59 a.m.

Not a single car passed in that whole getaway. Pretty quiet interstate.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/31/21 7:59 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I had a guy at a traffic light in a Superbird say that. (Race for pinks.) I said no, I don't want to rip you off. I wasn't on a particularly fast bike but it didn't have to be. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/31/21 8:42 a.m.
P3PPY said:

Not even the radio would change the outcome of this one

So, he was traveling faster than the speed of light?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/31/21 9:21 a.m.

Perhaps the police need a Tesla Plaid? :)

travellering
travellering HalfDork
10/31/21 9:23 a.m.

The quieter the interstate, the further apart the exits are, and the greater the likelihood that there is another cop (probably radar trapping tourists) up the road before he gets away.   Escaping pursuit is much more effective when you have multiple avenues of escape...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/31/21 9:33 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Going to motorcycles has completely nixed my need for track days. And I don't ride fast. I just get my speed jollies from the experience of feeling 'actual' speeds I guess.

Oddly, I have had the opposite experience. After track days and racing, anything on public roads gets scary before it gets exciting. Although, a motorcycle on twisting mountain roads is closer.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
10/31/21 10:00 a.m.

Lol at the moron in the IG comments saying that the Charger can keep up with a liter bike.

P3PPY
10/31/21 10:03 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

naw, I'm saying that anyone who heeds the call will not get in front of this guy in time. Avg response time for burglary is like 2.5 mins? How far can he get in just one minute?

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/31/21 10:04 a.m.
FatMongo said:

Lol at the moron in the IG comments saying that the Charger can keep up with a liter bike.

In freefall maybe.

P3PPY
10/31/21 10:07 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Esp since there's not even a charger in VIEW :P

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/31/21 10:26 a.m.

Checking specs, a CBR1000RR is around a 10.0 quarter mile bike in the right hands & conditions.  Top speed around 180.

Probably the most illustrative is something that isn't going to be so easy to find; time to top speed.  I imagine a liter bike would stomp a cop Charger (or any other car normally used by police) into the floor on this spec which seems key for this sort of thing.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/21 10:42 a.m.

IMHO- he was over 200 at the end.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
10/31/21 11:06 a.m.

No question that’s quick!  He spent plenty of time dawdling along so the statie could get his numbers though.   I saw an open road tolling station overhead a few seconds into “takeoff”too.  I’m pretty sure there are cameras all over that so it’s likely someone was waiting wherever home base is. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/21 12:27 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Checking specs, a CBR1000RR is around a 10.0 quarter mile bike in the right hands & conditions.  Top speed around 180.

Probably the most illustrative is something that isn't going to be so easy to find; time to top speed.  I imagine a liter bike would stomp a cop Charger (or any other car normally used by police) into the floor on this spec which seems key for this sort of thing.

Japanese bikes are limited to 186 mph, but this is often easy to defeat.  On a ZX10R, it was a secondary rev limiter that engaged in 6th gear, so you defeat the ability to sense 6th.

The crazy thing is you can't judge top end charge off of quarter mile times, because they are CG height limited at lower speeds.  They pull a lot harder at thr top end, relative to how a car accelerates.  Said ZX10R rider mentioned that he could not use full throttle in 2nd gear.  And that 1st gear was good to 90.  So picture what your quarter mile times would look like if you had to feather the throttle below 110-120 or so.

Liter bikes are nuts.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/31/21 12:36 p.m.
P3PPY said:

In reply to stuart in mn :

naw, I'm saying that anyone who heeds the call will not get in front of this guy in time. Avg response time for burglary is like 2.5 mins? How far can he get in just one minute?

Depends on whether or not the helicopter is already in the air...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/31/21 1:02 p.m.

I ride a 40 year old, 200cc, 10hp bike. Its out of gas at 70mph. In the 12 years I've been riding it,  I have never had someone out accelerate me from a stop light.

stroker
stroker UberDork
10/31/21 1:26 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/21 1:33 p.m.

Wow, found an oooooooooold video.

The fascinating part is not how quickly he accelerates to 140.  The fascinating part is that at 140, the front wheel touches the ground again, at which point the rider begins accelerating in earnest.

P3PPY
10/31/21 1:34 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Welp, that's frightening

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3MNr20LkVGDHn6f7nUn6iOmw90AOd5omfY5U0y0KF6s7mD3vuJNh0lM14ZbVRO7X