porksboy
porksboy Dork
5/25/09 6:58 p.m.

I want to put my shop computer on line. Problem is I have no phone line in the shop. I am not opposed to a wireless router just that I don’t think my computers will support it. They are a 13-year-old Pentium II and the shop computer is a Celeron of un-known age. The Celeron is the shop computer and I don’t know for a fact that I can get it on line in the first place. I will replace both computers in future but would like to use these in the meantime. The Pentium II is hard wired in the kitchen and when I go wireless I would like to hide the router thingy in the basement shop.

Now to the meat of my question, is Miata really always the answer? Actually I want to know, can I splice into the phone wires and put a DSL modem in my shop and plug a computer in? The phone lines run in the ceiling there already. If so how? Then in future I could put the wireless router there and live a merry life

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/25/09 7:00 p.m.

uhhhh Miata...

I think there's got to be an easier way to get that done. I figure after the expense of getting those old computers online, you might have been better off buying something newer, for about the same cost. then you wont have to do all sorts of splicing of phone lines. .02 anyway.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
5/25/09 8:03 p.m.

Yeh, but I still have the wireless router on the kitchen desk upstairs.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
5/25/09 8:23 p.m.

Pick up a cheap USB wireless adapter or an internal one and stick it in the shop computer - you have very little to lose, and there's no reason to think it won't work.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/25/09 8:32 p.m.

will a p2 have usb?

senador
senador New Reader
5/25/09 8:54 p.m.

You should be able to splice into the telephone wires and use the DSL modem wherever you want. My last house had a terminal block and actual speaker wires (not telephone) that ran to one section of the house where we plugged the DSL modem into. I am not an electrical engineer (just a mechanical one) but phone wire is cheap and if it doesn't work you are only out a couple bucks.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/25/09 9:46 p.m.

Uh, wireless PCI adapter. Just slot the card into the box, install the drivers, configure network connection and STFU ;)

That or if you have a USB connection (should be on the back) you can put a USB Wireless card in it.

If you don't want to mess with all that, and the machines have a regular network card in them already then you can add a second wireless router in access point mode.

A fourth option is to use a powerline network router, which uses the house wiring to provide network connectivity via a standard network interface to your PC. You could even add another network switch at the end of the powerline device.

The driver's only care what operating system you're running and as long as it is at least XP SP2 (just turn off all the features to keep the speed similar to W2K)

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/25/09 10:32 p.m.

I have an old P3 Sony that I use in the garage. USB for Win98 are terrible. I've tried and been unsuccessful with the USB. I ended up going the PCI route.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0e025fnQf3D6FcwmUedQldLFm8pceqrYMZVE7zdHMQGcBFKKxRCMVvqgneAgK3HU