5/22/10 12:25 a.m.

Rollin' on 27s?

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/22/10 12:57 a.m.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/22/10 2:07 a.m.

Okay, y'all got to "learn me somethin" here...

I'm a VW guy...watercooled at the moment, but unlike most of the H20 guys, I love the aircooled cars as well (learned to shift m'own gears in my mom's cousin's Beetle!). To me, a "Dub" is a VW. Yeah, I've seen the diecast models of cars the jailhouse sex victims like in their boxes with "DUB" all over the box, but I still don't know the history behind why those cars are called "Dubs", when they're obviously not Volkswagens.

Anybody got some edumacation about this thing that you can share with my ignorant backside?

madmallard
madmallard New Reader
5/22/10 3:36 a.m.

Dub is a ... slang word for 20, as in a $20 bill.

its kind of a cross of drug slang, (rap & reggae)music slang, and car custom slang.

If you're "rollin on dubs," then...

But the OP image is a special type of car custom culture, unfortunately you have my home the dirty-dirty to thank for that. It started in south FL, but caught on with the rich rap-studio culture in ATL

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/10 5:42 a.m.

The next major step up in street slang is "Jordans": 23 inch rims.

Personally, I'm holding out for a set of Gretzkys.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 None
5/22/10 7:05 a.m.

I was under the impression that the term "dub" originally (in this context) meant 22" wheels (as in "double duece"). I do not consider myself an expert on this topic however.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
5/22/10 7:59 a.m.

When this whole 20"-24" thing took off around Detroit you could drive along Eight Mile and all the tire shops were advertising lease rates for tire/wheel packages !!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/10 8:03 a.m.

There's a financially sound investment. Maybe these guys aren't planning on living that much longer.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/22/10 8:08 a.m.

There's plenty of "Rent 'n Roll" places here. The package to lift the car and put on the wheels is normally more than what the car is worth.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/22/10 8:17 a.m.

a 20" rim is a "Dub", because LA gangsters used to ride on low riders with 10" 100 spoke wire wheels. The East Coast guys started the trend of bigger wheels, and these wheels are DOUBLE the size. Hence, Dubs.

a dub deuce is indeed a 22, but it is a double plus a deuce...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
5/22/10 8:33 a.m.

its a love it or hate it thing. mostly hate haha.

However, i would still like a cruiser with some bigger wheels on it. Not a jacked to the sky car with giant wheels, but a cleanly done cruiser with a nice set of wheels (20in or so)

On some cars it looks good. I work around the ghetto and i see a bunch of cars like this. Some half assed and jacked up but some are honestly cleanly done cars that i would not mind driving.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/22/10 8:52 a.m.

I remember that a Buick Electra 225 was known as a "deuce-and-a quarter". Wonder if anyone's ever Dubbed one of those out.

Would it be a double deuce and a quarter?

wbjones
wbjones Dork
5/22/10 9:06 a.m.

saw an old Buick the other day with 26" the aspect ratio couldn't have been more than 20... looked sorta silly IMHO

TJ
TJ Dork
5/22/10 9:26 a.m.
wbjones wrote: saw an old Buick the other day with 26" the aspect ratio couldn't have been more than 20... looked sorta silly IMHO

You Sir, I nominate for the understatement of the year award.....just sorta silly?

oldtin
oldtin Reader
5/22/10 10:05 a.m.

The caddy is clean - nicely done. There's a few shops around Chicago that do them pretty well - just leaves me puzzled though.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
5/22/10 1:42 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: a 20" rim is a "Dub", because LA gangsters used to ride on low riders with 10" 100 spoke wire wheels.

Problem with that theory is that the classic lowrider dayton wire wheel has never been avaliable in anything smaller than a 13"

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/22/10 2:07 p.m.

On campus the other day I saw a beautiful early 60s Caddy, 4 door, cream paint, perfect condition. Unfortunately it had 22s on it that totally ruined the car. Unlike most of these donks however it would have looked great with just a change of wheels and suspension (unlike the ones painted bright metallic green or winnie the pooh themed).

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/22/10 5:38 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
maroon92 wrote: a 20" rim is a "Dub", because LA gangsters used to ride on low riders with 10" 100 spoke wire wheels.
Problem with that theory is that the classic lowrider dayton wire wheel has never been avaliable in anything smaller than a 13"

I'm pretty sure it still means "double tens", though.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
5/22/10 6:39 p.m.

According to Urbandictionary.com......

Dub: 1. Abbreviaton for the letter W 2. Twenty dollars 3. Twenty dollars worth of anything, especially narcotics 4. Twenty-inch rims 5. The art of making a remix, especially a reggae song, in which the lyrics are all or partially removed and the focus is placed on the drum track and the bass 6. Generally incorrectly used as a name for any remix to any song.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/22/10 7:40 p.m.

a guy at my school has a purple chevy celebrity with 22s. 4 banger celebrity. ill post pics next week

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/22/10 9:15 p.m.

I think this is the same one, crappy cell phone pic at night... The wheels light up blue!!

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
5/22/10 9:24 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: its a love it or hate it thing. mostly hate haha.

Yeah, I hate it....my personal pejorative for them is "giraffe car"; i.e. something that has much taller legs than it looks like it ought to.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/22/10 11:21 p.m.
Marty! wrote: According to Urbandictionary.com...... Dub: 1. Abbreviaton for the letter W 2. Twenty dollars 3. Twenty dollars worth of anything, especially narcotics 4. Twenty-inch rims 5. The art of making a remix, especially a reggae song, in which the lyrics are all or partially removed and the focus is placed on the drum track and the bass 6. Generally incorrectly used as a name for any remix to any song.

Actually, I can see where definitions #5 & #6 come from..and shoulda known for awhile..in radio and TV, transfering a piece of media from one recorded format to another is called "dubbing".

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Heck..I live in Atlanta Metro. I should have heard the thing about the wheels. Guess I didn't have my ear close enough to the ground.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/23/10 7:39 a.m.

dub = 20" dub-n-duece = 22" jordan = 23"

beyond that I think you just put the size in a rhinestone badge on the fender.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
5/23/10 10:19 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

Guess I didn't have my ear close enough to the ground.

With rims like that, a few feet off the ground works. :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
acwvunk7XO8I8YUCJyffREvfmBP6Up2pmV0rzmRAsWRhVTjuLihTTjFU0tzq2kPg