donalson
donalson SuperDork
9/20/10 1:49 p.m.

so i'm looking for an upgrade in DVD ripping program... I have a 2.1ghz dual core so something that will utilize that would be nice... i've tried a few here and there but all the free ones seem to be slow... i like AVI format so i'm not just shrinking to fit a DVD

so does anyone have a recommendation that is fast but gives a good vid quality and is fast?... AND under $30?

Monster Toad
Monster Toad New Reader
9/20/10 2:25 p.m.

DVD's are MPEG. You will essentially be re-encoding the video (and audio) to AVI (or whatever video container file type you choose). This takes a long time and is dependant on the speed of your computer.

I do not see any need to spend any money on this when HandBrake will do just fine.

jde
jde Reader
9/21/10 9:16 a.m.

Another vote for Handbrake.

jeffmx5
jeffmx5 Reader
9/21/10 11:42 a.m.

Handbrake will not rip commercial encrypted DVDs on Windows. It will on Linux or OSX.

Wikipedia has a list of DVD Rippers here

I can't vouch for any of these as I use Handbrake under Linux. Apparently you can use VLC (Video Lan) to rip a DVD to MPEG Lifehacker

jde
jde Reader
9/21/10 5:57 p.m.
jeffmx5 wrote: Handbrake will not rip commercial encrypted DVDs on Windows.

Works fine when paired with DVD43, apart from some newer Sony DVDs.

kkmin
kkmin New Spammer
2/23/20 12:06 a.m.

I use [Canoe Ripper] to rip dvd to avi. It is easy to use. The quality is customized.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
2/23/20 9:09 a.m.

can you rip DVDs to lower quality to use on tablets and phones ?

what format  works for android phones ?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/20 11:44 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

can you rip DVDs to lower quality to use on tablets and phones ?

what format  works for android phones ?

Handbrake will do that. It has built in presets for various devices.

For the original, full-quality rip, I use MakeMKV, it does DVDs and Blu-Rays. I then use Handbrake to convert down to a smaller size.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iPh6cH7eEcRY081yHAf3LIyXzcnWMkSprSZqRvWpjI7zT78H2ToswsEtX2AZ3UUj