fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/11/18 8:20 p.m.

Search is on for recommended street brake pads for an '09 335xi. OEM types have good initial bite and performance but are dusty as all hell (main complaint). DD only, no auto-x or HPDE but wouldn't mind greater braking performance w/o sacrificing rotor wear.

Quick search of BMW part suppliers has Centric Posi-Quiet, Hawk HPS street, Hawk HPS 5.0, Cool Carbon S/T, Akebono Ceramic Euro and ATE Ceramic. All claim lower dust than OEM and all are 'rotor friendly' FWIW. Some don't claim the initial bite of OEM but that could be liveable with. 

Less dust, similar performance or better than OEM and won't sacrifice rotors. I'll be using Zimmerman Z Coat rotors btw.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/11/18 8:27 p.m.

I didn't care for the weak initial bite of the Akebono ceramics that I put on our 530i.  The OE pads offered more confidence even in normal street driving.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
4/11/18 8:30 p.m.

I tried a few aftermarket options on my E39, but in the end I went back to OE; that's also what I more recently put on my E82, along with the Zimmerman rotors. The dust sucks, but the initial bite - especially in the colder months - can be a lifesaver if you drive in fast-moving traffic.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/18 9:40 p.m.

The Stoptech (Centric) Street Performance pads have worked well fro me in street driving.  I believe they've been renamed "Sport" pads now.

They are what I use on our '08 E90 328xi and the Z4 coupe when it's not headed to the track.  RockAuto has them at good prices.

I'd characterize them as having good bite, less dust than OEM, but still not a low dust pad.  

My only real complaint during street use is that they rust on the rotors pretty bad  in winter/wet weather.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/18 9:18 a.m.

EBC Redstuff. Low dust, decent performance for street/autox, and very civilized.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/11/18 9:23 p.m.

Went w/ the Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors and EBC Reds.

Old rotors and pads had around 11-12K since new but they were roached.

Drove the E92 over winter roads treated w/ brine, then parked it for three days. No way to wash it off in 15° temps, not me anyway. Rotors were still baby butt smooth before that. Next drive out and they sounded like gravel before I left the yard, it was all downhill from there w/ ridges and grooves. Pulsing came later. Da fawk.

Some states that treat w/ brine add a corrosion inhibitor but Pa. doesn't. berkeley you.

Initial feel of the Reds is pretty good, still way early on the bedding-in tho. 

Had the car inspected, brake hoses replaced and flush. First highway trip had a slight vibration goin' out on a five mile round trip. Felt like losing a wheel weight. About a mile from home the rear view mirror is about bouncin' off the berkeleying windshield. Fawk, ya know what that is. Limped it in the yard, berkeleying brake stench. Fawk. 

Front lug bolts were torqued. Rears weren't even tight and took a minimum 1/4 turn to contact wheel yet alone torque. surprise RR rotor was berkeleying smokin' hot.

Maybe that was the quick bed-in process. indecision

Gotta pull the rear wheels now, prolly end up sanding the pads. 

PSA: ALWAYS check lug torque no matter who does the work, even the best shop in town. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
emFH0FC07VH2Jc9jAnL3ChIDjlRNvO9QbNM1gb1EoqRGMBb4pZWrok6ackBmRkwZ