1 2
Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
3/13/13 1:53 p.m.

North Korean propaganda video making us all out to live like Borat. This might be the funniest thing I've ever seen--

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4839271/North-Korean-video-shows-dystopian-America.html#ooid=YwMGI1YTrifS7Z-DXcJO2qLZuSVsetG1

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/13/13 1:57 p.m.

What if that is propaganda we were meant to see...

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
3/13/13 1:58 p.m.

Wooooow....

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/13/13 2:03 p.m.

We had a water main break a couple years ago in the middle of winter. Went out and got some snow to make my coffee. Wasn't bad.

RossD
RossD UberDork
3/13/13 4:03 p.m.

If you haven't, watch "Inside North Korea". It a National Geographic program and it's streamable on Netflix. It is wild.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/13/13 6:07 p.m.

Dayumn. Wish I had it as good as the people in that video. I only get a half cup of North Vietnamese coffee each day and at least that one guy's tent had half a roof.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
3/13/13 6:23 p.m.

"These birds will be eaten Tuesday. They are yummy."

Bwahaha that was hilarious. I wouldn't call it a "hoax," more a "joke." those are things that even British people can make some times. I'm not sure the Sun knows about them though.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/13/13 7:15 p.m.
dculberson wrote: "These birds will be eaten Tuesday. They are yummy."

I rarely laugh out loud at internet videos but that one was pretty good.

They should have gotten John Cleese to narrate this thing, it looked like a Monty Python video.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
3/13/13 7:26 p.m.
dculberson wrote: "These birds will be eaten Tuesday. They are yummy." Bwahaha that was hilarious. I wouldn't call it a "hoax," more a "joke." those are things that even British people can make some times. I'm not sure the Sun knows about them though.

After watching that "Inside North Korea" video a few years ago, I do not doubt that is a video that was made in effort to make North Koreans feel as if they are living a superior life compared to the western world. There is no joke here, these people are harshly punished for having any media that is not NK propaganda. It makes some country's like China, that have been known to censor the internet, seem like the pinnacle of free states.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/13/13 8:31 p.m.

Tuesday can't come soon enough, I got me done birds to eat.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/13/13 8:39 p.m.

Wait, we don't all live like that?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/13 8:39 p.m.

Mmmmmm, tasty birds.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
3/14/13 8:16 a.m.

I seriously wonder what plans and contingencies the US military has drawn up for dealing with these loons. I find crazy people with nukes to be very worrisome.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/13 9:29 a.m.

LMAO ow my sides...ow...

Sounds like the "original" narrator is speaking Japanese though, they could have voiced it over with North Korean narration for authenticity, not like anyone will understand it either way

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
3/14/13 9:50 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote: It makes some country's like China, that have been known to censor the internet, seem like the pinnacle of free states.

It's interesting to note that China is probably one of the best places to live if your an ex-pat. Safe, money goes far, people respect your opinion, your not so foreign that you draw a lot of attention. I mean, as a westerner you can't expect to get much help from the government, but from what I understand they'll let you alone for the most part.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/14/13 10:51 a.m.

Funny stuff.

Also, I think it is still on netflix, Vice Travel Guide. One episode is touring NK.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
3/14/13 11:03 a.m.

So... really though, is this a parody?

Also of note, none of the video footage is actually of the U.S. as far as I can tell, it's almost all European style architecture and vehicles in any background shots.

Also some of the commentary is almost too dry humor to be serious. If panning the U.S., why would they say "it is yummy" or "disguised as european cities" other than for the lol factor.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/14/13 11:12 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote: So... really though, is this a parody? Also of note, none of the video footage is actually of the U.S. as far as I can tell, it's almost all European style architecture and vehicles in any background shots. Also some of the commentary is almost too dry humor to be serious. If panning the U.S., why would they say "it is yummy" or "disguised as european cities" other than for the lol factor.

Did you see their last propaganda video?

GameboyRMH
3/14/13 12:43 p.m.

Yeah it's a parody:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/how-americans-live-today-north-korea-fake-video_n_2868121.html

Oddly enough, the original video is based on real NK propaganda that is just as ridiculous - basically the same thing but depicting Europe as a dystopian hellhole.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/14/13 2:17 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: What if that is propaganda we were meant to see...

Yep, that's why they can't keep the lights on at night:

GameboyRMH
3/14/13 2:20 p.m.

The North Koreans' lighting systems have advanced far beyond your primitive Western concepts of illumination.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
3/14/13 8:01 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH: Yep, their lighting systems don't waste light by shining it up to the sky where it isn't needed.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/14/13 8:26 p.m.

Maybe they have a giant one of these:

That shuts off electricity at night to everywhere but Kim-Jong Un's houses.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
3/15/13 7:41 a.m.

What, nobody's posted any pigeon recipes yet? I'm afraid I don't have any myself - squirrels are a bit easier to get here.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
3/15/13 8:14 a.m.

Dang it, I thought we were planning a club camping trip

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HyZjm9vfj5nmrIeMwZoJbnXTsDkPtgQRt2g5zazSDl0kii8ILreYNHaYN0SDyWu4