trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
4/21/20 2:42 p.m.

Because of the Covid it is becoming difficult to get dry food and pasta is one of them. I have a bread maker and enjoy the ease of just setting it and forgetting it and like that same idea for a pasta maker. Anything good under $150?

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/21/20 3:19 p.m.

I've got the extruder-type attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer and it's a little bit dangerous.  It's such a simple recipe but it totally ruins boxed, dry pasta for you - it's that much better.  The biggest take-away that I've found is that the dough has to be super dry when it goes in to keep it from turning into one giant mass as opposed to individual strings of spaghetti.

For flat pasta, I've hand rolled egg noodles with a great deal of success.  Make your dough then divide it into 8ths before rolling out.  Use a metal ruler and a pizza cutter to cut into equal noodles but make sure they're really thin - about 1/16th-1/8th of an inch or so.  Any bigger than that and you wind up with more of a dumpling-like thing than a noodle.  I want to get one of the rollers to make that process easier, but I haven't quite gotten to it yet.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/21/20 3:33 p.m.

You can get the venerable Marcato Atlas hand rollers anywhere for around $50 new, and many places cheaper than that used (thrift store, yard sale, etc).

Agreed with above, the dough needs to be pretty dry.  It's very simple to do but pretty time consuming.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/21/20 4:03 p.m.

Wow.  So flour and eggs and that's all there is to it?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/21/20 4:13 p.m.

I've made pasta twice, the second time I spent three hours rolling it out by hand.

I have a kitchen aid mixer, but don't want to spend the money for the attachment until I get back to work.

The pasta was delicious. You can see two of the pieces of dough on the board.

We often eat pasta with just some olive oil, and maybe some melted butter, a bit of salt, and lots of parmesan cheese.

Peas make it a balanced meal.

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/21/20 4:45 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

A little salt.  You can throw in spinach.  I like to add a touch of pepper.  But, yeah, there's nothing to pasta.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/20 4:53 p.m.

Many years ago, I had something similar to this. You put in the ingredients, mixed, then extruded. It was pretty awesome and made a great finished product. I remember having to freeze the dies to make it easier to pop the leftover dough out.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
4/22/20 11:43 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It's easy to make I have made Gnocchi (Potato Flour and egg), but cutting and shaping is very time consuming. I tried making noodles this week by hand and just couldn't shape it and get it thin and even.

In reply to Everybody:

From what I have seen on TV with the hand rollers, it requires several pass threw? is that true or movie magic? I have little kids so just looking for the easy option. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/22/20 12:29 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

There's a fine line between pasta and paper mache paste.  

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/22/20 1:36 p.m.

The hand roller deal works pretty well for making a family dinner size serving quick enough.  The kids enjoyed being prt of the process and getting  a bit dirty in the kitchen.  

It is indeed that much better than box pasta.

I made homemade ravioli with the last batch which was slower but really tasty.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/23/20 5:49 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It's easy to make I have made Gnocchi (Potato Flour and egg), but cutting and shaping is very time consuming. I tried making noodles this week by hand and just couldn't shape it and get it thin and even.

In reply to Everybody:

From what I have seen on TV with the hand rollers, it requires several pass threw? is that true or movie magic? I have little kids so just looking for the easy option. 

The kitchen aid attachment requires several passes to get to the desired thickness. I am sure a hand roller would be the same.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IHjQIPZBgbdWaMmP9k0KxEvQEpbto5fRhodzStVgw1buQGuKltE0goOTBO9B49N2