bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
2/2/13 2:04 p.m.

—— Thread from 2013 ——

Looking for some guidance in a "what would you do" situation. Long story short, I'm 31, married, 5 month old child and we currently live in an apartment as we are attacking our debts, mostly student loans very little personal debt. My wife and I both have bachelor's degrees and without getting into actual numbers earn incomes that are within the top 15% of the people in our area. The wife wants to return to school and get her master's degree in English so she can teach, either secondary or at community college level. I'm personally very happy in my job and could advance up one more position, which would be approximately a 20% raise. While the possibility of a promotion and the raise sounds great, I would be topped out in my job. Once again without getting into details (because I legally can't), I work for a military contractor and as I do not have military service, I am excluded for all intensive purposes from moving up much more. Year to year raises don't exist and the only time pay grades are reviewed is upon renewal/renegotiation of the contract. I have been thinking of going to law school and possibly practicing either family, personal or business law. I have no interest in personal injury or criminal law. Bottom line, I am thinking long term with the prospectus of having at least another 30 years to work that going into law sounds like the best option. I realize that family and personal law are not necessarily the most lucrative fields, but at the end of the day, I could feel good about what I do and potentially make a good income. Thoughts, opinions, personal knowledge or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
2/2/13 2:15 p.m.

Here are some things I know:

1) Secondary Ed doesn't require a Master's to teach English, and it may be a hindrance in getting a job if she doesn't have one already in the district. It would help in applying to Community College positions though.

2) Law schools are pumping out lawyers at unbelievable rates right now. Talk to some recent law-school grads in the area and see how their job search is going. I personally know a few lawyers who make about $50k a year and are happy to have it, and I know a couple more who can't find a long-term job practicing.

3) Law school is stupid expensive.

Would you be happy with finishing your career in the spot you could currently promoted to?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
2/2/13 3:27 p.m.

My wife is an elementary teacher. Rarely have I ever seen a career field that requires so much education for so little pay. I would bet the ratio of dollar spent on education to dollar of income is pretty low.
Any more education and she would have to start a Phd program (and she does not want that.)
Yeah, all that to keep teaching 3rd grade.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/2/13 3:42 p.m.

intensive purposes... you gotta love it ....

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/13 4:27 p.m.

who's gonna raise the youngun while wife's gettin' all educated? and be prepared for her to want to quit working when baby number two comes along, making that advanced degree you just paid for not bringing in any coin. not saying it will happen, but it certainly does happen.

kylini
kylini New Reader
2/2/13 5:41 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: Here are some things I know: 1) Secondary Ed doesn't require a Master's to teach English, and it may be a hindrance in getting a job if she doesn't have one already in the district. It would help in applying to Community College positions though. 2) Law schools are pumping out lawyers at unbelievable rates right now. Talk to some recent law-school grads in the area and see how their job search is going. I personally know a few lawyers who make about $50k a year and are happy to have it, and I know a couple more who can't find a long-term job practicing. 3) Law school is stupid expensive. Would you be happy with finishing your career in the spot you could currently promoted to?

I could contribute more to this thread, but bastomatic really just nailed it. Law is a very, very bad field to jump into right now. It might be better in 5 years, but it certainly isn't going to be once you get out assuming you started immediately.

Regarding teaching English, check with your local districts on what they expect in an applicant. It varies state to state for licensing and between districts for absolute education levels. It might be more important to get a few certificates than it is to get a Masters.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
2/3/13 7:47 a.m.

One of you has to maintain good benefits, medical and retirement, since you've crossed the 30 threshold and have a kid now. Do the two of you make $100k+ right now combined and have the opportunity to advance? Are the positions stable? If yes, then why go back to school and increase your debt burden to go into a career that may not have good prospects?

My wife and I are in a similar situation to you - we have no personal debt outside of school loans and mortgage. We're 31 or thereabouts. We have a 9 month old. I have thought about going back to school to get an advanced degree, but it's tough when there is so much extra debt associated with it.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
2/3/13 8:38 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: Here are some things I know: 1) Secondary Ed doesn't require a Master's to teach English, and it may be a hindrance in getting a job if she doesn't have one already in the district. It would help in applying to Community College positions though.

I'm 32, wife is 34.

My wife started teaching special education this past fall. If she had a better advisor, she could have earned a masters concurrently with the coursework she was doing to get licensed. She already had a masters in something else. I'll say this, a masters was not a hindrance to her getting a job. She had multiple offers.

A masters in education will almost certainly mean more pay for your Mrs. If she can do that in the same time frame as licensure in your state, and positions in English are available, a masters will be worthwhile.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
2/3/13 9:06 a.m.
wbjones wrote: intensive purposes... you gotta love it ....

Beat me to it.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
2/3/13 12:40 p.m.
BAMF wrote: A masters in education will almost certainly mean more pay for your Mrs. If she can do that in the same time frame as licensure in your state, and positions in English are available, a masters will be worthwhile.

In my state, a Master's degree also = more money as a teacher. If you don't have a good résumé as a teacher already, coming in to the career as a green Teacher already making Master's money is a good way to have a lot of doors closed to you. They want you to get the job, then the Master's in most schools here.

But it doesn't really matter, as new positions teaching English in my state are rare as hen's teeth. Special education is another matter.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
5/21/19 8:43 a.m.
Zomby Woof said:
wbjones wrote: intensive purposes... you gotta love it ....

Beat me to it.

What are you guys laughing at?  It's not as if a simple misspelling or incorrect word choice would make any difference for a lawyer or english teacher....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/21/19 8:53 a.m.
Qilditeel said:

I would consider the prospect of returning to training not in the next couple of years so accurately. After all, you now have a period that requires maximum attention to the child, or of course you can contact and regularly buy assignment online, but then the whole point of learning is lost. Besides, the comments above correctly said that the law now requires a lot of money.

Quite the raising of this canoe.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/19 9:07 a.m.

My bride and I were both administrators at a school district.  Special Ed, physical therapists, speech therapists, as well as secondary math and science teachers were all hard to find.  English teachers were not. 

I think I would want to determine if there is actually a demand for English teachers where you are.   See if she can find a personnel officer at a local district and do a reality check.

Several years ago, my stepdaughter was going back to school and thinking about primary education.  Sadly, both my bride and I had to advise her to look elsewhere given the environment in education today. 

She ended up becoming an RN, is doing great, and making nearly three times what a beginning teacher would.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/21/19 9:16 a.m.

1) I don't know what defense contractor you work for but that sounds like a load of BS. Personal opinion of someone who works in the industry as well. 

2) I've been doing a lot of soul searching as well and thinking about other careers. I've been on the hunt for other jobs outside of the DoD doom and gloom and it's only made me realize I want nothing to do with it anymore in a sense. The problem is I've stovepiped my career into only being a good fit in the DoD so I'd have to do something radical to get out (like going to Law school or starting my own business). 

3) What's more important at this point: job satisfaction or net income? I'm slowly realizing that the former is going to make me much more happy than the latter but I also need a balance. 

4) Go with your gut, communicate with your wife, and make a decision that benefits the whole family. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/31/19 6:43 a.m.

Another educational canoe??

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/31/19 8:05 a.m.
alfadriver said:

Another educational canoe??

Well, you gotta learn to paddle before you take off for distant shores

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners