1 2 3
ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/22/14 8:35 p.m.

They just don't have the kick necessary to be effective anyone have any suggestions?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/22/14 8:37 p.m.

Quit. Best advice I can give. Electrics are dumb and totally unregulated. Dangerous stuff if you ask me.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
8/22/14 8:38 p.m.

There's got to be a way to mod them for better performance.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/22/14 8:48 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: There's got to be a way to mod them for better performance.

I sense this is flounder bait.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/22/14 9:04 p.m.

Just QUIT. That is the solution.

I got really mad when I realized I was not addicted to nicotine, I was addicted to what ever additives they put in their brand to bind you to their brand. I tried smoking other brands cigars and what not nothing would satisfy but my regular brand.

Made me so mad, I rotated brands for a couple of weeks. Then quit cold turkey, left a half pack on the dresser if I wanted a smoke. Never lit one up.

Just quit, it the best thing you can do. No patches, No gum, no vapeing, no BS. JUST QUIT!

Sister In law chews the gum has for years, still smokes. Now she's addicted to both. Chews gum all the time and when she is by herself still smokes.... LOOSER!

As a smoker you are a second class citizen, the places you can smoke are getting fewer. Soon you will pay more for health insurance or have to quit to be covered.

Quit now, it is the best gift you can EVER give yourself. Sure beats slow suicide...

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/22/14 9:05 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: There's got to be a way to mod them for better performance.

Tried, got a bottle of the liquid nicotine to add to the cartridges but it didn't work to well

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
8/22/14 10:20 p.m.

Nevermind.

I was going to say something about having an oral fixation.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/22/14 10:35 p.m.

Dunno... I don't smoke... But a couple of the guys in one of my car clubs who are long-time smokers (30+ years ea) recently switched to "vaping" and now they'll never go back. They like the different flavors. One of them switching shocked the hell out of me. I never thought he'd quit smoking. He said he uses the "half-strength" versions as the full-strength versions gave him the shakes.

I have to say, they are a lot less annoying to a non-smoker than the real things.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/22/14 10:48 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Dunno... I don't smoke... But a couple of the guys in one of my car clubs who are long-time smokers (30+ years ea) recently switched to "vaping" and now they'll never go back. They like the different flavors. One of them switching shocked the hell out of me. I never thought he'd quit smoking. He said he uses the "half-strength" versions as the full-strength versions gave him the shakes. I have to say, they are a lot less annoying to a non-smoker than the real things.

I want to quit, i guess I'm weak but they help me deal right now. SWMBO hates and I mean HATES the smell of smoke lately I have cutting back smoking only while she's at work and showering and putting on fresh clothes before she gets home but I need to do something because I can see that getting me only so far, plus my dad, lifetime smoker died at 58 after 10+ years of smoking related heart trouble and I don't want to go through that too he never saw my baby brother graduate high school with an associate degree. Not seeing my kids grow up terrifies me. But what do I do to deal with the stress of that? Take a guess, grab a smoke

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/22/14 10:49 p.m.

Do the vaporizers leave a smoking smell? I have not had any experience with them

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/22/14 11:01 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote: Do the vaporizers leave a smoking smell? I have not had any experience with them

Completely odorless. So there is that.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/22/14 11:03 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote: Do the vaporizers leave a smoking smell? I have not had any experience with them

I suppose there are brands that do, but the ones my friends used didn't. IIRC, it was kinda like mild incense... For first time in years, we could all sit around the tent at Carlisle and not be concerned about being "down-wind".

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
8/22/14 11:34 p.m.

What are you currently smoking to think they haven't got enough kick?

A lot of people I've seen switch to e cigs end up more of a nicotine slave than before as you can more or less puff on the thing 24/7.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/22/14 11:53 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: What are you currently smoking to think they haven't got enough kick? A lot of people I've seen switch to e cigs end up more of a nicotine slave than before as you can more or less puff on the thing 24/7.

Camel menthol full flavors

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
8/23/14 6:23 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Dunno... I don't smoke... But a couple of the guys in one of my car clubs who are long-time smokers (30+ years ea) recently switched to "vaping" and now they'll never go back. They like the different flavors. One of them switching shocked the hell out of me. I never thought he'd quit smoking. He said he uses the "half-strength" versions as the full-strength versions gave him the shakes. I have to say, they are a lot less annoying to a non-smoker than the real things.

he hasn't … not really

jury is still out as to the lasting side effects … I smoked for 27 yr. at the "worst" it was 4 1/2 packs of Camel non-filters a day … at the "best" it was <5 per day … or my pipe (though I inhaled it also)

finally it was time (20 yrs ago) … used a hypnotist … not sure if that is what worked of if I'm just a cheap a$$ … the one on one session cost something like $285 … I made the decision that nothing was going to make me throw away that much money by lighting up a cigarette … have never smoked since then

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/14 7:17 a.m.

I used the Chantix for a week or so, quit smoking and continued the Chantix for another month. Hated the Chantix, because it made me mean as a snake, so I quit that too. That was almost a year ago. Or to put it another, more pointed, way, about 1.75 Challenge cars ago. That being the amount of money I haven't spent on smokes.

I still have all my pipe stuff. Every once in a while I'll open a jar of Grandmas Kitchen or After Midnight and take a deep whiff. I still love the smell of tobacco, burned or not, but I'm not a smoker anymore. And that's a fact.

Until you make the decision to quit, you won't. It's tough, but when you make the decision, you will know. Deep down in your soul, you will be able to say "I'm not a smoker," and mean it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/23/14 7:53 a.m.

Toyman hit it. Unless you're ready you're never going to quit. When I quit it was time, I emptied my pack, and that was it. No drama, no crutches, no tapers. I smoked exactly what you do (green box, right?) And every now and again I want some. I think of it like this. I get to buy another corolla with the money I've not spent on smokes, and..... I looked really stupid when I smoked. I hate looking stupid.

As far as answering your question o. Making an e-cig punchier I know exactly what you're asking. They operate on a basic principle, a coil, a wick a chimney and a battery. Coil heats the juice in the wick. Juice vaporizes and heads out the chimney. You imhale. Modding them to increase the draw is where most people are at right now.

Shorter chimneys to get a denser pull, wider wicks for more fluid draw and coil surface area, bigger batteries for more voltage for faster atomization, you get the idea. Personally I just think they're really stupid because of the new rend of it all. People think this is safe- when no one knows. Heroin was safe once too. Its driving an entire generation to hang these giant chrome appendages from their mecls and it bugs me. Either smoke or dont. Don't halfass it.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/23/14 10:38 a.m.

My first wife was a heavy smoker, three packs a day. she quit cold turkey. she died of lung cancer. So don't even talk to me about smoking.

QUIT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/23/14 10:58 a.m.

Toyman and iceracer are right on the money. My dad quit cold turkey too January 16, 2010, the day he died of lung cancer.

QUIT NOW. Like Toyman said, you have to CONVINCE yourself you are a non smoker. I've been down that road, I quit 27 years ago as a 3 pack a day smoker, smoked Salem Menthols. It was only when I saw myself as a non smoker that it finally worked.

Oh, like I said: QUIT NOW. F&%k all that vaping shi+, QUIT NOW.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
8/23/14 10:58 a.m.

Quiting isn't the problem, it is staying stopped.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/23/14 10:59 a.m.

See Toyman's post.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
8/23/14 12:51 p.m.
Kia_Racer wrote: Quiting isn't the problem, it is staying stopped.

it becomes easier one day at a time … it was quite a while before I stopped having the occasional craving … but they do go away … I can't imagine ever lighting a cigarette again

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
8/23/14 1:50 p.m.

I've been on Chantix for about three weeks now and it's pretty amazing. The only real side effect for me is crazy vivid dreams every night. I just don't get the cravings with it. The real test comes once I stop taking it.

1/2 a pack a day for 8 years fwiw.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/23/14 2:58 p.m.

The craving never goes away completely. (sorry to not sugar coat quitting)

It is a very insidious addiction that is second only to cocaine.

A conscious decision to quit is the only way.

Tapering off or substitution leads to addiction to other compounds. (don't do it)(multiple addictions)

The worst is the first few days and gets notably easier after that.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/23/14 3:08 p.m.

I think the strangest thing for me has been the cravings lately. They've actually gotten worse, and I've been quit almost a year.... it was actually easier in the beginning. Pretty sure if I was to find a spare cig somewhere I'd smoke it. IDK why- but I just have to remember I get to spend that money elsewhere. Like beer.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1CGkqg56KmDg1hFYYKBldDCLQQzEZ7yRcrD9CJyx8zK2sYJCzpqxxu8T7QXQcrrr