pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/18 8:08 p.m.

Daughter's apartment has a few dead plugs.  A quick check shows 128v on all good plugs, 39v on the dead ones.  Thing is, there are good plugs and bad plugs on the same circuit breaker so I don't think its an issue there.  The 39v plugs occur on 2 different breakers, so it's not unique to one circuit either.  I replaced the outlets, and it's not local to the plug either.  Any thoughts?  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/6/18 8:27 p.m.

One of the other junctions in line on the circuit has a loose connection. Could be an outlet, light switch or fixture. It would likely be easier for her to move than to check them all.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/18 10:43 p.m.

that's when you call the landlord and have them pay to have the outlets fixed. You are also probably looking at something back feeding the circuit.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
8/7/18 7:21 a.m.

I would go with a poor connection as well.  Are you checking voltage to the neutral or ground?

Not sure how old the installation is, but being residential I’d guess the receptacles were terminated using the “stab ins.”  They tend to loosen as they age and act like you are describing.

Another idea- only if you are comfortable doing so!!!- is opening up the panel and checking that the terminations are all tight on breakers and the neutral bar.

The landlord should get their wallet out on this one.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/7/18 8:45 a.m.

Landlord fixes or move. There is no reason your daughter should have to stay in a building with questionable electrical service. If something is loose there is the possibility of arcing and fire.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TUZaYvntboKDeq2NpyBKOdQ3QorfsXvLyXRomChPW7wJ7pFvgaoUPHITKgS3ZRoY