Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
6/26/14 8:27 p.m.

I'm in the process of buying a Porsche flat 6 (2.0L) for my 906 project. Unfortunately, it's literally on the opposite side of the country. So far, there are two options for shipping. The easiest (and most expensive (I believe)) is complete on a pallet at a discounted rate of $464. The other option is to remove the cylinders, pistons, heads, case studs, etc and mail the case in one box and the removed pile in another. I suspect the two boxes will go through regular USPS or Greyhound and will be cheaper.

Any other suggestions? I considered helium balloons tied to the pallet to reduce weight and therefore shipping costs, but that's the only other idea I've come up with.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/26/14 8:41 p.m.

Where you are and where the engine is might help with some ideas. For instance I'll be driving from NJ to Vegas and back to NJ the first 2 weeks of July, in a Crown Vic, it has a pretty darn big trunk.

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
6/26/14 8:44 p.m.

Engine is in Portland, OR. I am in Charleston, WV.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/26/14 8:51 p.m.

Hmmm, I am sadly no help there then. Honestly $464 doesn't sound too bad for pallet shipping an engine. You could also put it out on uship for a bid and see what you get.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
6/26/14 9:37 p.m.

The amount of handling required, and the type of trucks that it will need to ride on also have a big impact on the shipping costs.

Can it be shipped from, and delivered to locations that have a loading dock and/or a Forklift?

Anytime that a straight truck, bobtail or liftgate is required the shipping cost goes up.

All that being said, $464 for coast to coast doesn't sound like a rip off.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
6/26/14 9:42 p.m.

^Yep^

I've shipped a few much smaller motorcycle engines via Yellow Freight and it's generally 3 bills for most of the way across the CONUS.

A couple things:

• Yellow has an book-it-online discount worth looking into.
  • The LTL (Less Than Truckload) freight business is a racket.
  • It's all about discounted rates (no one pays book rates) and what "freight class" your shipment is.
jamscal
jamscal Dork
6/26/14 10:02 p.m.

Fastenal does their own logistics and will ship for you store to store. Call the manager of your local store.

I also use freightquote.com and seem to get a decent price for the little I do.

-James

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
6/26/14 10:22 p.m.

Freightquote is my go to for anything I can't send Greyhound. If you can drop off & pick up at a terminal they'll give ya a better deal.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
6/27/14 8:00 a.m.

+1 for Freightquote. $275 quote by trucking company, $180 by Freightqoute using the same company.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/27/14 8:46 a.m.

Do you have a local Fastnel? They have pretty cheap shipping

slowride
slowride Reader
6/27/14 8:48 a.m.

Amtrak?

http://batmanimal.com/post/38797869104/using-amtrak-to-ship-everything-you-own

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/27/14 1:28 p.m.

I used uship and the guy charged under 300 for an engine and trans and brought it in a uhaul trailer.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
6/27/14 1:30 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: All that being said, $464 for coast to coast doesn't sound like a rip off.

This. The last 11lb bumper cover I shipped freight cost us almost $300. That sounds pretty decent

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yb91xtJVWoSPVSjBgQFWJ5ZLJhJFLnRVJ38T0MltD5rKZTxQB0LWCuoI9e8ADx8H