914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/16/08 8:05 a.m.

If you remove the engine & tranny from a front engine front wheel drive car, leaving the struts and CV shafts, how do you tie the shafts together into an axle, leaving slip to allow differing rpm while turning?

Dan

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/16/08 8:33 a.m.

Ummm... you shouldn't need to. I'd just gut a pair of outer CVs and use the housings to clamp the wheel bearings together in the normal manner. Problem solved. IIRC that's how Bill Gotwalt did his SHOgun.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/08 10:51 a.m.

There's a differential inside the FWD transmission, that'll allow for your differing RPM.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
11/16/08 11:34 a.m.

Jensenman, is right. Just use the splined and threaded output flange from the drive shafts and bolt hub nut like normal.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/16/08 11:57 a.m.

Look at a MR2 front end. That's basically a FWD spindle with a stub axle on it and a nut on the inside with a dust cap. You could fab something up similar for whatever you're making.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/08 7:21 p.m.

right. why would you want to tie undriven wheels together? all you need is an outer CV to keep the wheel bearing together....

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/08 8:26 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: right. why would you want to tie undriven wheels together? all you need is an outer CV to keep the wheel bearing together....

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but a few years back I was reading about the Audis racing in various touring car classes. Several of them banned all wheel drive. Some Audi teams left the rear axels and differentials in place. When they lifted the inside rear wheel, you still had two calipers and rotors stopping the wheel that was still on the ground. As long as they had enough traction to use the extra brake force they felt it was an advantage. The also ran the alternator off the rear axle to justify leaving the rear end in place.

I don't know why I can remember that but forget what my wife sends me to the store for

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
11/17/08 8:42 a.m.
Wally wrote: I don't know why I can remember that but forget what my wife sends me to the store for

It's a blissfully ignorant club, ain't it?

Clem

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Bp1uvqD0UWi1Nui9ZxhBkWemkjAGwjBLBPpVbFAp6TaZlVsdRx7pRkEeJmbK7xj