nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/3/14 8:18 p.m.

There are a lot of cars I want to drive. Either from reputation or an old road test that has stuck in my mind or folklore. Whatever the reason the list is much longer than my ability to make enough money to buy. So I got to thinking it would be cool if someone rented cool enthusiast cars. I think it would be great to rent a cool car for a weekend tour around the country side or hit a local autox or whatever.

I'm not talking about supercars or luxury cars. I'm talking about just ordinary sportscars and mainstream performance cars. Obviously they would need to be in good to perfect condition and maintained impeccably. Maybe when I win the lottery I'll start this business.

Here is a partial list of the cars I'm talking about in no particular order.

• Buick Grand National

• Chevrolet Corvette C4 ZR1

• Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4

• Mazda RX7

• Mazda RX8

• Toyota MR2

• Nissan 300ZX TT

• Pontiac Fiero Formula '88

• Alfa Romeo Spyder

• BMW E30 M3

• Toyota Supra TT

• Subaru WRX

• MINI Cooper S

• MGB GT

• Porsche 944

• Dodge Shelby Charger

That's just a partial list you get the idea. I want to drive all these cars, I do not necessarily want to own them. And like I said I sill never make enough money to buy them anyway.

What cars would you add to the list?

Somebody with money should steal my idea and start taking my money.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/4/14 8:14 a.m.

Really? No responses? It was a brilliant idea in my head...guess I'll just stick to video games.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
1/4/14 8:33 a.m.

I believe what you want to look into is an enthusiast car loaning club. Standard format is for the club to own aggarage of cool cars. Members pay an annual fee and get to take the cars out in turn occasionally.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/4/14 8:47 a.m.

I drove lots of cars a few years ago my simply going on a "test drive" spree. I was legitimately looking for a car at the time, although I didn't have anything specific in mind. I was honest with the dealerships (I didn't drive cars belonging to private parties) in that I was just looking with a long-term purchase in mind. I only drove used cars as I wasn't comfortable putting miles new cars when a purchase wasn't immediately on the horizon. I also went with a friend (who was also long-term shopping) as that made it less likely we'd have the annoying salesman tagging along. Over the space of a few months, we drove an Evo, several variants and vintages of Corvette, several Mustangs, an Audi TT, 350Z, several trim levels of WRX and a few others I've forgotten. Probably couldn't check everything off your list, but we had a lot of fun and learned a little bit about several different cars and, eventually, both ended up making well informed purchases. You probably won't find everything on your list, but we covered all the above without ever driving more than 10 miles and drove most of them on free lunch hours.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
1/4/14 6:41 p.m.

I couldn't even find a place to rent a late model 6 cyl mustang convertible in the cleveland area this past summer. If Avis can't make $ renting that, how is someone going to make money renting a fiero?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CElFF9ewKyQ6UMTMGm2ZefNJ16eJG7JljGc0oRkxwL3OqzN6p02dfwdwNBaSemE3