Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/31/21 3:29 p.m.

If you trust her (the widow), I'd ask more questions and move forward if it continues to look interesting to you.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/31/21 3:30 p.m.

Is it going to be easier and more interesting than driving the school bus?

If so, there's your answer.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/31/21 6:24 p.m.

As long as everything is as it seems I don't see a losing scenario for you.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/21 7:50 p.m.

Is there any way you can meet her clientele before you make a decision?

Broad generalization, but the only people I've found flakier than the horsey set is the folks who keep pet birds. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
7/31/21 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

We've been friends since she married him.   The only reason  I'm asked is she trusts me and it's mutual. 
    I think she's taking more risk than I because I can easily go back to driving bus 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
7/31/21 9:06 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

As long as everything is as it seems I don't see a losing scenario for you.

Umm ignorance?   I don't know what I don't know. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
7/31/21 9:12 p.m.
Duke said:

Is it going to be easier and more interesting than driving the school bus?

If so, there's your answer.

Driving the school bus is rewarding beyond the money.  I feel good helping the kids. Teaching them that the rules exist to help them not hinder them. Showing that troubled kid another way, another choice.  
   Giving the kid running late a few  moments rather than closing the door and driving off. Yeh, watching them grow up.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/31/21 9:15 p.m.

Is there a constantly rotating supply of decease carriers that you will be locked up with on an enclosed space on the farm?

I would see that as a consideration....

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/21 9:19 p.m.

One thing I would think about before taking the job is how long you plan to stay and what the transition plan is if a year down the road you decide it's not for you any more.  If she's a family friend then it's hard to leave without a replacement lined up.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
7/31/21 9:47 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

That's the reason I'm asking for guidance.  It's not something I was looking for. I have no experience or background knowledge.  
 Well, as a teenager I was the go to kid my neighbors with horses would come to  to settle the horses down to the saddle when they were first saddled up after the winter.  I could then and still do have a pretty decent sense of balance so the horses wouldn't be able to buck me off.   Nothing Rodeo cowboy worthy.  Just saying I'm comfortable around horses. 
    I think the job basically is management of a well established, smooth running place.  No pressure to grow or increase.  Somewhere around the status quo sounds like it's acceptable.  
  Honestly if I didn't have the relationship I do there is no way I'd even consider this. But who knows? Maybe I'll learn to enjoy this?  I didn't think I'd like being a school bus driver

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/31/21 9:56 p.m.

Frenchy - Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Was his "working the markets" part of the job, or was that a hobby/alternate income source?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/21 10:41 p.m.
aircooled said:

Is there a constantly rotating supply of decease carriers that you will be locked up with on an enclosed space on the farm?

I would see that as a consideration....

I thought about the same thing. I know you love driving the school bus (my uncle drove a school bus for 40 years), but you're exposed to a bunch of children that are a risk to your health every time you go out on your route. 

Hopefully, this would be much less of a risk running the farm. 

If you do choose to take the farm management job, I would recommend getting details and responsibilities worked out and in a contract. Friends are friends, but don't risk a friendship because you don't have a prior agreement how things will work. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/1/21 3:54 p.m.

Very good thoughts. And I hadn't considered the added safety of no more exposure to over 500 walking Petrie dishes daily.

My thinking last night was not do something just because I was  asked to by a friend.  I've studied the books. She really can't pay anymore.  In fact to pay that much is a stretch, probably counting on me to find some savings or added income. 
  When I ran a import car repair place back in the 1970's  I managed to do that and in 10 months dug him out of a hole he didn't think could be done.  
  OK the bonus at the end would be a nice bit to help retire on. But what if the friendly neighbor  retires?  Or the crew suddenly has problems etc. What if his projection of new housing fails and the relief isn't there when I'm ready to pack it in?  
   We have 3-4 months before she's leaving. So I can try it out.   There is a massive shortage of bus drivers so getting the job back isn't a problem.  But I don't want to leave her out on a limb.     

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/1/21 4:05 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Frenchy - Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Was his "working the markets" part of the job, or was that a hobby/alternate income source?

It's how he paid for everything. Basically his prime income source.  I'm not asked to do anything like that, if I was I really would run screaming. 
   The place basically pays for itself from stall rental.  He sells the hay and corn  to the rentals and gets a  little slice from services rendered by the crew. ( who are all local High school and college people).  
  There will be a little added income from the house rental when she leaves. But that and insurance money  will pay for her place in Florida until the place sells. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/1/21 4:59 p.m.

I considered buying a medium farm at one point and leasing land/ stalls to horse owners. I consulted with a friend of mine who was a horse owner...

She said "Don't do it.  You have no idea how bad it will go when you have to tell an owner that his horse passed away".

I decided it was unwise for me to get into the middle of a passionate animal lover's culture I knew nothing about.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/1/21 8:27 p.m.

There is a vet right down the road who handles  most problems. Only a couple of owners have their own Vet "on call" ( not sure what that means). 
    Saturday and Sunday the smoke cleared up and most owners were out riding. Busy place. Lot of high end vehicles.   I guess the creek/river connects up to another trail  and then it goes through a regional park.  It's not uncommon for  owners to be gone most of the day.  In fact there is a place where they stop for a lunch that rubs down the horses etc for the owners. 
     Apparently there is a long waiting list to get a stall because of that trail situation.  They aren't the most expensive stall rental place but everyone higher has an indoor arena.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/1/21 8:34 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

That's another reason I'm reluctant to take the job.  The connection between the clients and my friend I'm sure is based on him figuring out how to deal with a bunch of Type A personality people. 
     I can almost imagine the deluge of pressure to for me to give them some imaginary perk or deal with some conjured up situation to benefit someone.  That's the prime reason I won't volunteer  to officiate one of the local vintage clubs.  So if I won't do it for something I know and love why should I take that potential abuse for a paycheck? 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/7/21 12:01 a.m.

Update. I was real reluctant to accept the job but I didn't want to let her down.  
    Turns out her Brother will be getting out of prison and looking for a job. No parole,  he served his full sentence. So he can come up here and she can watch him to make sure.  
    We were both happy.  Like I said I didn't want it but kinda felt obligated. She didn't want to have to back out of an offer.  Luckily my wife talked to her and nobody's feelings are hurt. 
    I'm not sure how a drug addict with prison records going to go over with the horse set. But at least I'm not on the hook anymore. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/21 5:17 a.m.

Drug addict with a prison record. This is going to end badly.  

Thanks for the update. If you'd been hired, you might have ended up having to deal with the brother. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sFtQ8e8bsT0A1vU7NIsDNZFnuYM5Yv7OlCfMdmAiShuJEBSlfCYZL2jw9W3thMDv