scottyg
scottyg
11/30/13 10:17 p.m.

Got poison ivy over the weekend...and it's AWFUL!

Anyone recommend any treatment? I've tried Technu but it doesn't work that well.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
11/30/13 10:26 p.m.

Getting a dr to prescribe steroids helps a ton

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
11/30/13 10:33 p.m.

If I ever even thought I was exposed to PI, I would pre-shower w/ a thorough dose of pure bleach, let stand and rinse later. Wives tale, I dunno but worked for me. Prolly better stuff from the docs these days.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
11/30/13 10:57 p.m.

Don't touch your hootus!

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/30/13 11:28 p.m.

cortisone 10. Get the liquid/roll on kind.

An excellent natural remedy (that I have personally tried and worked well for me) is Jewelweed. Also called touch-me-not. Its kinda fleshy and succulent. Just mash it up and rub it on the area.

Of course, I'm not sure if it is available in November anywhere except the homeo-naturo-open-the-big-wallet-granola-tree-hugger stores.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/30/13 11:36 p.m.

What Dr. Hess said in earlier threads:

3-day period before reactions in most cases. Clean everything that might have the plant oils on it with Tecnu. (three days means lots of stuff you may have touched) Use Ivy Dry on yourself.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/flippn-poison-ivy/68424/page1/
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/learn-me-how-to-treat-poison-ivy/63981/page1/

Dr. Hess said: Contact Dermatitis. If it's all over your back, I think a course of prednisone (steroid taper) is in order. Prednisone is some bad E36 M3 if you take it long term, but for short time, it is literally a life saver.
Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
11/30/13 11:38 p.m.

Carb cleaner within 30 minites.

steph615
steph615 New Reader
12/1/13 2:11 a.m.

Ha. Carb cleaner?

My boss absolutely swears by this stuff called Itch Juice. It's a scrub that removes poison ivy rash. I've never used it, but they refund your money if it doesn't work, so I guess it's worth a try.

Here's the link: Itch Juice Poison Ivy Treatment

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/1/13 2:25 a.m.

IIRC poison ivy delivers the nasty stuff in an oil carrier, so it would make sense that carb clean works, that stuff will remove ALL the oil from you hands if you get a lot on you(as I learned cleaning a carb when I was like 12). Showering with dawn would probably work too.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/1/13 7:55 a.m.

I've never been so lucky as to be able to completely remove the stuff. It's why the back corner of my back yard is off limits to my daughter, there's a few popping up back there. Any time I go back there I scrub all over HARD with soap/water but typically wind up with one or two small spots on my ankles.

PSA: do NOT burn the stuff! The oils (urushiol) that cause the rash/itching will be in the smoke which is real bad juju.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/plants/

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/1/13 8:37 a.m.

when I use the weed eater on the back bank … there's an area that always has lots of poison ivy on it … I save that area 'til last …. then go straight to the bathroom … strip through cloths in the washing machine, hop in the shower … so far it's been 20+ yrs since I've had a major fight with the rash …. probably just jinxed myself

Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/1/13 3:52 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: An excellent natural remedy (that I have personally tried and worked well for me) is Jewelweed. Also called touch-me-not. Its kinda fleshy and succulent. Just mash it up and rub it on the area.

Plus a bunch. As a kid I would get into poison ivy 2-3 times each summer and had very bad reactions to it. Jewelweed worked better than anything the doctors gave me. And we could find plenty of it along the stream that ran along the back of our property.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/1/13 3:54 p.m.

another good home remedy is to use Aloe .. the actual plant, not the drugstore stuff … don't know what happens when the try to bottle it, but it doesn't work anywhere like the real stuff

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/1/13 4:00 p.m.

just reading this thread is making me itch

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/1/13 6:55 p.m.

Been mentioned already, but I'll repeat: Ivy Dry.

Margie

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/13/17 9:34 a.m.

Zombie canoe!!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
11/13/17 10:13 a.m.

Glad to see this, I'm covered (at least 30 to 40%) right now from clearing land for hunting and after 2 trips to the doc, and it being day 12 I'm far into "so miserable someone shoot me" status

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/13/17 10:18 a.m.
fasted58 said:

If I ever even thought I was exposed to PI, I would pre-shower w/ a thorough dose of pure bleach, let stand and rinse later. Wives tale, I dunno but worked for me. Prolly better stuff from the docs these days.

Blue dawn.  The thing that you react to is the oil.  Blue dawn gets rid of oil.  Always use cold water so that your pores are closed.  Hot water opens your pores and could allow the oil to enter your skin.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/13/17 10:30 a.m.

Take Benatryl, dab it with alcohol every few hours to dry it out.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/17 10:37 a.m.

Goats.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
11/13/17 11:01 a.m.

I have a gallon jug of Dawn dishwashing soap I keep in the shower.  After any suspected brush with it, I wash with the dawn.  Seems to work. 

I've had to get the Prednisone shot a few times, usually in the ass.  It helps immediately, and they give you steroid pills for later that make you feel pretty good, in addition to knocking the P/I right the berkeley out.  Go to an Emergent care facility, they should be able to get some Prednisone in your ass within an hour.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/13/17 4:18 p.m.
fasted58 said:

If I ever even thought I was exposed to PI, I would pre-shower w/ a thorough dose of pure bleach, let stand and rinse later.

"Let stand" in PURE BLEACH?  Cheebus, man, how do you even have any skin left?

Justjim75 said:

Glad to see this, I'm covered (at least 30 to 40%) right now from clearing land for hunting and after 2 trips to the doc, and it being day 12 I'm far into "so miserable someone shoot me" status

Got it on yer hootus, did you?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/13/17 7:51 p.m.

Some doctors are leary to blast you with enough steroid to actually knock your immune system out of action.  But that's what it takes.  As I said years ago in various threads, a BIG prednisone taper if it is that bad.  If it is not that bad, the stuff from any of drug store labled in big letters "IT WORKS" is good. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/13/17 7:59 p.m.

Zombie thread , canoe deleted

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UOr9UBldRf56M3dio4Ai4NGMzuYLoSMnUGcURvgn9iNv1ABJHeVVnmcRxjmP22qX