Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
9/27/22 2:44 p.m.

In an effort to lower carbohydrate intake,  I'm taking an interest in bitters for adult distilled beverages and soda water alike.

Does anyone have a favorite that's not the standard Angostura or Peychauds?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/27/22 3:00 p.m.

We make heavy use of Dashfire bitters at our bar. Lots of interesting varieties.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
9/27/22 3:38 p.m.

When I gave up drinking beer I pivoted to soda water with a dash of bitters.

I can say that most of "The Bitter Housewife" products were nasty. Regan's orange bitters are nice. I have a cupboard full of different bitters that I will have to inspect to see how much I used/liked each one.  Paychaud's however became my go to. Which is exactly what you requested someone not mention so.......

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
9/27/22 3:43 p.m.
Trent said:

Paychaud's however became my go to. Which is exactly what you requested someone not mention so.......

Not against it being mentioned, just wondering what's lesser known 

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
9/27/22 4:11 p.m.

What sort of flavor profile are you looking for?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/27/22 4:22 p.m.

bitter

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/22 5:15 p.m.

I prefer Fee Brothers over Angostora. Mainly use the standard aromatic but I have their orange as well and it's good.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/27/22 5:36 p.m.

I like German Bitters.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
9/27/22 6:03 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Open..Looking around I've seen Anice, Dandelion, Orange, etc.      Want to know what everyone enjoys and possibly try a few

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/22 6:40 p.m.
EvanB said:

I prefer Fee Brothers over Angostora. Mainly use the standard aromatic but I have their orange as well and it's good.

This, plus a plug for the grapefruit as well.

Actually, I tend to use the Fee Brothers aromatic bitters in Manhattans, and Angostura where other recipes at first since the Fee Brothers has a bit more oomph I may not want in trying a recipe out.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/27/22 9:52 p.m.

I dated a biter once ... oh wrong thread. 

the_machina
the_machina Reader
9/28/22 8:50 a.m.

For soda water, I really like Crude's Bitterless Marriage. It's hibiscus/lavender/oak.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
9/28/22 3:06 p.m.

I have El Guapo's Cucumber & Lavender Bitters at home and they add a nice touch to seltzers and mixed drinks.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/28/22 9:03 p.m.
Grtechguy said:
02Pilot said:

Open..Looking around I've seen Anice, Dandelion, Orange, etc.      Want to know what everyone enjoys and possibly try a few

I use a bunch of different kinds. Perks of the bar.

I use Lime a surprising amount. Lavender is a lot of fun. Just splashing in soda water... Chinese inspired, Fig and Fennel, Spiced Apple, old fashioned, or Creole.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6xqp9RcJfEiAswo23D0r6PCrw6qiPW4W3lCTNNMijMhZe5y57ebkR2eP94k0N8UU