1 2 3 4
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
12/27/13 11:07 a.m.
Conquest351 wrote: I also have a bottle of Brandy and Courvossier VSOP too. Any ideas on what to do with them? LOL I've tried each by itself and not a huge fan. I fell in love with some Courvossier Gold and drank it neat at room temp and loved it. I like sweet drinks because I guess I'm a noob or whatever. LOL

Sidecar - it's a classic brandy drink. 1 1/2 ounce brandy or congnac, 1 ounce triple sec, and 1/2 ounce lemon juice. Shake with ice like a martini.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/27/13 11:40 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/27/13 11:45 a.m.

I never saw mention of anything really "cheap" in this thread. If I had posited that Ten High made a good Manhattan, then yeah, but I just don't see mixing a spirit that costs as much (and is as nice) as that Booker's into anything other than a little water or ice.

To each his own, of course, but I don't know that you could tell a lot of difference between a Manhattan made with Jim Beam and one made with Bookers simply because there's too much other stuff going on that gets in the way.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
12/27/13 1:18 p.m.

I like straight up Jack Daniels in a glass. No ice, water or coke. I find rum goes well with Coke and a little lemon juice. It also goes well with straight ice tea. Whiskey is also good in apple cider.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
12/27/13 1:31 p.m.

As a huuuuuge whiskey/bourbon/scotch afficionado, my suggestion is simply to start small. Small glass, small piece of ice, small splash of whiskey - savor and enjoy. As you develop a palate for it, graduate to bigger splashes of whiskey, less ice, bigger glasses.

I've converted quite a few California wine snobs over to the finer side of whiskey in the last few months. :D

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/27/13 2:24 p.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to z31maniac:

Because it is an opinion, does not imply that it is incorrect.

Dude.

BTW, I know wish to make White Russians this evening.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/27/13 2:54 p.m.

BRB, my bottle of "the Macallan" is calling me

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/27/13 2:55 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

aaaaaahhh

Joshua
Joshua Dork
12/27/13 2:57 p.m.

Make an Old Fashioned. They're awesome.

Joshua
Joshua Dork
12/27/13 2:58 p.m.

Or make some homemade sour mix and use it for a whiskey sour.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/27/13 3:39 p.m.

My opinion: Mix it about 1 part whiskey, 2 parts GOOD ginger ale. I prefer Vernors. I personally think that you get a better mixed drink using better whiskey.

Taper it back to 1 part whiskey, 1 part ginger, until you get used to sipping it straight.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
12/27/13 3:56 p.m.
mtn wrote: My opinion: Mix it about 1 part whiskey, 2 parts GOOD ginger ale. I prefer Vernors. I personally think that you get a better mixed drink using better whiskey. Taper it back to 1 part whiskey, 1 part ginger, until you get used to sipping it straight.

May hafta do dat too.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/27/13 4:01 p.m.

I prefer bourbon neat or with a rock or two, BUT....

If I'm going to mix, I almost always make a Manhattan

Second choices would be an old-fashioned or Mint Julep.

If you're not man enough to take it straight, just a little water or club soda will tame it down without really changing the flavor.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/27/13 4:09 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Conquest351 wrote: I also have a bottle of Brandy and Courvossier VSOP too. Any ideas on what to do with them? LOL I've tried each by itself and not a huge fan. I fell in love with some Courvossier Gold and drank it neat at room temp and loved it. I like sweet drinks because I guess I'm a noob or whatever. LOL
Sidecar - it's a classic brandy drink. 1 1/2 ounce brandy or congnac, 1 ounce triple sec, and 1/2 ounce lemon juice. Shake with ice like a martini.

God bless the side car. I tell people it's called that because once you have one, somebody else needs to drive home.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/28/13 2:33 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote:
mtn wrote: My opinion: Mix it about 1 part whiskey, 2 parts GOOD ginger ale. I prefer Vernors. I personally think that you get a better mixed drink using better whiskey. Taper it back to 1 part whiskey, 1 part ginger, until you get used to sipping it straight.
May hafta do dat too.

This works amazing with a good Irish.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/27/19 7:46 a.m.

Resurrected by spammers?

Too epic a thread to put back to sleep.  I may need to make a trip to the American Boys' Club and purchase some distilled spirits with which to properly welcome the New Year.

Any of you potheads and meth addicts still drink liquor?  Seems so "Boomer."

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
12/27/19 8:04 a.m.

I recently dug up one of my Mom's old recipes in memory of her for the holidays.  The Bourbon Slush.  I usually make a double batch and freeze them out in separate tupperware.  They are an easy last minute party drink.

9 cups water, divided

3  tea bags

12 ounces frozen lemonade concentrate

6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate

2 cups bourbon

2 liters ginger ale, chilled, for serving

1. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of the water to a boil. Add the tea bags and allow to steep for 10 minutes. Discard the tea bags. 

2. In a large container, combine the brewed tea, lemonade and orange juice concentrates, remaining water and bourbon.

3. Place the container in the freezer for at least 4 to 6 hours or preferably overnight until the slush is firm all the way through.

4. Scoop the bourbon slush into a tumbler glass, top with ginger ale and serve.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/27/19 10:28 a.m.

Can't handle liquor, it's all beer for me.

Fill pint glass 1/2 with Sweetwater 420 then float Guinness on top till full. Enjoy the " Dirty Hippie"

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/27/19 10:39 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Resurrected by spammers?

Too epic a thread to put back to sleep.  I may need to make a trip to the American Boys' Club and purchase some distilled spirits with which to properly welcome the New Year.

Once in a blue moon I'll have a bourbon, but apparently when I turned 27 (and I turn 30 next month) I could no longer drink much without getting hungover. So now it is all beer for me (but no blue moon). 

A close friend is now in AA/rehab for his alcoholism, and out of solidarity I'm more or less on the wagon with him. And I don't seem to miss it at all. Haven't had any oregano for about 3 months either. Guess this means I'm a boring old man. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
12/27/19 10:42 a.m.

I got a couple bottles for Christmas.  Old Forrester 100 and Bulleit 1/4 oak.

Enjoy my bourbons on just a couple of ice cubes, no mixers.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/27/19 10:49 a.m.

WhiskeyDew:  glass as full of ice cubes as possible, fill to half with decent KENTUCKY bourbon, top with ice cold Mt Dew.  Enjoy

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/27/19 10:50 a.m.
mtn said:
1988RedT2 said:

Resurrected by spammers?

Once in a blue moon I'll have a bourbon, but apparently when I turned 27 (and I turn 30 next month) I could no longer drink much without getting hungover. So now it is all beer for me (but no blue moon). 

A close friend is now in AA/rehab for his alcoholism, and out of solidarity I'm more or less on the wagon with him. And I don't seem to miss it at all. Haven't had any oregano for about 3 months either. Guess this means I'm a boring old man. 

Right there with ya, old man, though I'm pretty much exactly twice as old as you are!  I talk big, but I drink a few ounces of liquor a few times a year, and a couple beers a month.  The topic brings back some fond memories, and some not so fond, and I don't aim to make any new liquor-related memories at my age!

Enjoy in moderation.  You young bucks enjoy the fact that moderation is one thing when you're 25, and quite another thing when you're 50. laugh

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
12/27/19 11:35 a.m.

If it isn't a good beer, then for me the recipe is pretty easy.

1 small glass. Add Lagavulin. Enjoy. Slowly.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/19 4:42 p.m.

Malört and tonic.  You put in some Malört and add tonic until you're done adding it, then enjoy it.  It's way better than it sounds, the two bitter components don't multiply against each other, instead they complement each other.

After sampling some finer whiskeys, I have grown to appreciate the whiskey and water.  It doesn't dilute the flavors, it really does open them up so you can catch them all.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/19 6:12 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Malört and tonic. 

Much better than Malört and cider. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l7mXMnxh16j8XdIuquw0h3SbsYgVTAlxkzAerJZowwv4e8adGIgLVllpWFJ5ykid