1 2 3
icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/3/13 8:31 p.m.

Is xp an scca class? I've never understood there classing system. I asked an scca guy where I could run my project when it was finished and he didn't make it sound like it would be allowed in any class. Is it a hp/weight ratio that makes you go with the na?

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica New Reader
4/3/13 9:14 p.m.

XP is indeed a SCCA Solo class. There is a Forced Induction Multiplier in XP (1.4x engine displacement, I think) that has to be factored in to your minimum weight. In this case it's another 175lbs or so strapped to the car, a lot of which will be hung way out behind the rear wheels. I'm sure the FI car would be faster and more apt to give you a real good puckering, but the NA would certainly be cheaper, and easier, to get going.

In the end, there's pretty much a class for everything. It's not necessarily going to be competitive in that class, but they'll certainly let you run.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
4/3/13 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Estrotica:

Yup. I'm running XP this weekend with my EJ22 Beetle on skinny tires. It'll be good for a laugh or two.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/4/13 6:27 a.m.

Looks like my minimum weight would be 1800 lbs, I guess I could build a huge cattle catcher type front grill guard and fill the pipes with lead. It might help keep the nose planted!

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/4/13 6:29 a.m.

Is there anything above xp? I'm hoping to do some testing at the local scca autox days. If I don't fit in any category what are the odds they will let me run?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/4/13 6:46 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Is there anything above xp? I'm hoping to do some testing at the local scca autox days. If I don't fit in any category what are the odds they will let me run?

It would depend on the region, but I've never been to a region that would turn a car away as long as it passes tech. If you explain you are there for test and tune and classing is irrelevant some clubs have a Non Comp class for just such things and some will whip out the rule book and find out what class you fit in.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
4/4/13 7:09 a.m.

In reply to icaneat50eggs:

If you don't meet the requirements for XPrepared, you've still got the Modified classes above that. Modifieds are generally proper race cars, often open-wheeled formula-style cars. There's a place to play, so long as your car meets their safety regs.

And if you don't want to play by yourself in Modified, they might let you run in XP even if you're over the limit, just so long as you promise not to win.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/4/13 7:16 a.m.

At this point I'm praying I complete the course without a wheel flying off, or some other disaster. Being competitive isn't really on my radar (yet)

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/4/13 7:26 a.m.

Here is what drives me nuts about SCCA. I'm digging through there rules, and find page 240, Bumping order. For the modified category the bumping order is dm - em - cm - fm - bm - am

WHAT KIND OF SENSE DOES THAT MAKE!!!!

where did these people learn there ABC's?
in nasa, if you are getting bumped you go from e - d - c - b - a.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/4/13 7:32 a.m.

it appears I can fit in DM, although I'm going to be considerably overweight. Interesting that there is no changes in this section for forced induction. i guess they figure everyone will have a turbo or two at this point.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
4/4/13 7:37 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: If you don't meet the requirements for XPrepared, you've still got the Modified classes above that. Modifieds are completely awesome

FTFY

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
4/4/13 7:39 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

You would like that, the whole thing's made out of washing machines.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
4/4/13 7:44 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: In reply to JoeyM: You *would* like that, the whole thing's made out of washing machines.

Indeed. Sheet metal brake FTW!!

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/4/13 7:47 a.m.

i would love to know the thought process that lead to someone building that jeep.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
4/4/13 10:52 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: i would love to know the thought process that lead to someone building that jeep.

“At 80 inches, it could have been a Sprite,” Long said. “But the Jeep body was easy to build. It has a lot of square panels.”

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JLmA3qof6LH5hfYIWiey2QpkGWNY93OPmu34MNL32SZ46MQNGn9Zx0bWR6u9QzYv