1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 9:15 a.m.

It has taken me months due to my work schedule, but today I finally captured the last fuzzy tailed rat in my yard. In an hour I will be taking him to work with me, a 12 mile trip across highways and water, to meet up with the rest of his pack at work.  As there were no squirrels there, they seem to have taken to their new environs quite well. I see one at least every other day, so I know they have adapted to their new home.

Now I can feed my birds in peace without them stealing all the food or trying to gnaw their way into the storage container where I keep it.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/23 9:33 a.m.

I really hope that works out for you.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
5/19/23 9:37 a.m.

Enjoy your week off...

Meanwhile, I have gathered up a dozen local squirrels and bought them bus tickets to mad_machine's place.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/19/23 10:32 a.m.

Shoulda painted their tails so when you're over run you'll recognize the ring leader.  ;- )

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
5/19/23 11:36 a.m.

What did you use for bait ?

I have a couple that need to be over in the park and not in my avocado tree !

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/19/23 12:04 p.m.

I had a college professor who would shoot squirrels with paintballs to see which ones came back.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 12:21 p.m.

My mother despises squirrels for the same reason you do. 

My father has agreed to relocate them on one condition. 

She cooks. 

Tender Squirrel Stew - Plowing Through Life

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/19/23 1:39 p.m.

At my house we just embrace the squirrels..

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/19/23 4:28 p.m.

The tree rats probably eat more of my chicken feed than my chickens do.  The only place I'd like to send them is The Great Beyond.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/19/23 4:33 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

It is said that nature abhors a vacuum.  The "squirrel pressure" in the area surrounding your yard is higher than in the area that you have evacuated.  Squirrels will be forcefully sucked into the squirrel vacuum that is your yard, and a squirrel equilibrium will result.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
5/19/23 5:05 p.m.

I *remove* about 50 squirrels a year from the yard.

I would prefer to leave them alone, but if I let the pressure off, they gnaw through my siding and try to kill my family by chewing on wires in the attic.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 5:05 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

It is said that nature abhors a vacuum.  The "squirrel pressure" in the area surrounding your yard is higher than in the area that you have evacuated.  Squirrels will be forcefully sucked into the squirrel vacuum that is your yard, and a squirrel equilibrium will result.

This does happen. Dad gets a squirrel stew a couple of times a year. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/19/23 5:07 p.m.

The last squirrel that ended up in my backyard didn't know that border collies could climb trees.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/23 5:33 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Watch out, if the vacuum is large enough you might wind up with them overshooting.  Then you get a gravitational collapse and a squirrel singularity.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 5:39 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 8:22 p.m.

How did they get their tails all intertwined like that?

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
5/19/23 8:57 p.m.

At my place of employment we have a Ground Squirrel problem. Completely different Squirrel than the tree ones I grew up with with.  These E36M3's crawl into the engine bays and have lunch on the wires. They took out two Chevy Bolts camera systems in the same month. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 9:09 p.m.

Apparently it's a rat thing mainly.  I guess in nesting they get tangled up.  Search YouTube for rat king if you want to see some weird E36 M3.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
5/19/23 9:13 p.m.
mad_machine said:

How did they get their tails all intertwined like that?

Maybe they are like dogs?? It not their tails. A Squirrel orgie lol :0D

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/23 7:19 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
1988RedT2 said:

Watch out, if the vacuum is large enough you might wind up with them overshooting.  Then you get a gravitational collapse and a squirrel singularity.

The deer will eat all their food and the singularity will dissipate via Hawking radiation.

That, or the number of squirrels will attract hawks.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/20/23 7:27 a.m.
MyMiatas said:

These E36M3's crawl into the engine bays and have lunch on the wires. 

A friend put the third wiring harness in his Tundra, sold it weeks before the warantee ran out.  Seems it was a good idea to replace plastic wire covering with a Soy product.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/20/23 9:00 a.m.
bludroptop said:

Enjoy your week off...

The myth of Sisyphus and what it teaches about leadership

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/20/23 9:34 a.m.
porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
5/20/23 9:52 a.m.

We have a few, none have attacked the cars, but they do like sitting on top of the tires and hanging out.  They have no fear of humans, a bunch were playing in the yard yesterday and while chasing each other they ran right under us a few times.  If I catch any of them eating from the veggie garden we will have a problem.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/20/23 12:51 p.m.

Sigh.  Another item on my to-do list:

1.  Finish Nova project

2.  Pull 13BT out of the RX-7 and find and fix coolant leak on rear of engine.

3.  Perform routine maintenance on the fleet of 8 vehicles, one boat, two lawn tractors and various other pieces of equipment.

3.  Relocate all my squirrels.

laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LPxcRQso165jCg3vb7abTpebmeMqyTCPuzHkZgXrauk2DFkAvCVI9KvadrOZzhn2