1 2 3
fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
10/12/08 10:24 a.m.

Paul,

My wife and I went on a date last night and saw the movie. We both came away very impressed! We even waited around thru the credits so I could show Heather your name! Suprisingly (to me at least) the theater was probably +60% full a few weeks after opening, I figured it would have slowed down significantly after the "target audience" had seen it once. That's good news for the movie's financial performance I guess!

SVreX said:Anyone catch the other car geek trivia thing yet? Hint: it's in the wreck scene, and it shows clearly in the trailer.

I quickly looked at the trailer on YouTube and couldn't catch anything (too low-res?). I give....

Also, did you actually wrinkle the front right fender on the SVX? Looked that way in the background of the train wreck scenes.

Ed

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/08 11:23 a.m.
SVreX wrote: My cousin is the President of FX network. I've been on a TV set with him. They burn through about $8,000,000 per day. That's just TV

tell him the Shield is my favorite show.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/12/08 2:50 p.m.

Fasteddie:

The movie is being very well received. Thank you.

I had a parts car SVX whose fender I smashed into with my tractor then removed (so the bolt pattern would be maintained). I painted it to match the movie car.

I removed the good fender from the car. I drove the car to the set, dug it into a hole in the bank with a shovel, jacked it up, removed the right front wheel, set the hub on the ground, propped the wheel back in place (like it was attached, but the strut was broken), zip tied the wrinkled fender in place of the good one, then I loosen the hood and cocked it 10* or so, blocking it up with a 2x4.

After the shoot, I bolted on the hood, wheel, and good fender and all was well again.

Car geek trivia hint: Are you sure all the pieces in the wreckage belong to the Kia on the RR tracks??

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/26/08 8:45 p.m.

No takers on the car geek trivia thing, huh?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/4/08 9:22 a.m.

The companion book to the movie, "The Love Dare" is #1 on the NY Times bestseller list for self-help, #8 for general.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
11/4/08 11:56 a.m.

i noticed a lady in the airport reading the book version of fireproof the other day. theres also a billboard advertising the movie here in houston. seems like the whole thing is well done. its nice to see that a movie/book/story that has a religious message can be successful if done well. maybe theres hope for society afterall.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/4/08 2:32 p.m.

I saw flywheel a few years back. As a car dealer AND a Christian is was somewhat obligatory I guess.

Our local newspaper has not reviewed the movie even now. When you find the page with all the listings it just has a description like "a christian produced film with a positive message". They did, however, run a two page piece on religulous and gave it 3.5 out of 4 stars.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/4/08 3:20 p.m.

Shouldn't be too hard to find reviews of it.

I'd assume Rotten Tomatoes didn't like it- too religious. I'd assume Crosswalk.com liked it- religious enough.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/4/08 4:00 p.m.

I didn't personally need a review, I'm just saying that's how positive/religious movies are treated locally.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/4/08 7:09 p.m.

Got it.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/8/08 2:59 p.m.

http://townhall.com/news/religion/2008/11/07/fireproof_opening_in_130_new_theaters

don't ask me what i was doing on townhall.com but... saw this article..

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/9/08 1:39 a.m.

well, the movie did good, so congrats on the sucsess(sp)

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/9/08 11:39 a.m.

Great! Thanks!!

Thanks for the link, ignorant.

Seven weeks is overwhelming. For those who don't know, most movies don't last in the theatres more than a couple of weeks.

Clearly, there are a lot of people who appreciate this type of effort. It was a real privilege to be part of it.

tedium850
tedium850
11/9/08 3:45 p.m.

Hi SVreX,

I finally got to see the movie last Friday night and it was a full crowd (and has been sold out on and off since it came out. I thought it was good movie with a great message (I might be slightly biased since I am in the target audience). And I didn't really see the twist and the end coming (I won't give it away though). So good job and keep up the good work!

I have a Christian friend at work who is going through almost the same thing. He has already had a change of heart and sees (at least partially) what he has done, but his wife is not willing to hear anything yet or go see the movie. I have used parts of the movie (along with other material) to encourage him to keep on. So I thank you and all were involved for that. Even if one marriage is saved, it will be worth it.

Oh, I also did see both Flywheel and Facing the Giants, and again thought they were very well done with a great message to those who are willing to listen.

Dan

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/10/08 4:31 p.m.

Thanks Dan.

The church has received over 10,000 emails just like your post. But you are the first car guy that has given me a tidbit of credit. Brought a bit of a tear to my eye (but I'm a softy). Thanks.

The church has A LOT of related resources, including "The Love Dare" book (based on the one followed in the movie). It can be purchased from any bookseller.

Perhaps you're friend would like to make the effort to go through it.

I am going to go through the entire 40 day book, though I haven't yet. My marriage is pretty darned solid, but it doesn't mean I can't use the improvement.

Thanks again.

-Paul

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aoqeflFdOiHFhgqdyn9wnni2hvFqHd2y3DB2HZUvp4xXGGS626OrStyPIZKhSDwv