1 ... 30 31 32 33
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/23 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

isn't 7 hours north of you going back down the other side?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/2/23 11:26 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Texas is 268,597 square miles, Ontario is 415,600.  6 hours north in Ontario is still in the south...

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/2/23 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

That's just Angry being a big help like usual

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/2/23 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

because it's square. But.....

 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/2/23 2:17 p.m.

Not really the point of this thread, but most definitely first world problems.

Boss' kids' school went on lockdown today for an active shooter.  Yesterday two kids OD'd due to fentanyl laced THC vape cartridges, one died overnight. 

 

I want kids, but berkeley me.  This is what I have to look forward to if I have them?  This is high school life now?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/2/23 2:22 p.m.

To get across the width of Ontario, you have to drive through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and most of New York.

It's berkeleying depressing.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/2/23 2:27 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Not really the point of this thread, but most definitely first world problems.

Boss' kids' school went on lockdown today for an active shooter.  Yesterday two kids OD'd due to fentanyl laced THC vape cartridges, one died overnight. 

 

I want kids, but berkeley me.  This is what I have to look forward to if I have them?  This is high school life now?

I mean, its a good school as well.  Low student:teacher ratio, solid funding, decently high ranking in Florida schools.

Just... WTF.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/2/23 2:31 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

To get across the width of Ontario, you have to drive through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and most of New York.

It's berkeleying depressing.

I mean, so is texas. We're talking 10 miles difference between the two. I've done the Texarkana to El Paso route before. That's the "short" way across Texas. It's only 840 miles. Or for you wierdos 1360km's. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/2/23 4:10 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

To get across the width of Ontario, you have to drive through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and most of New York.

It's berkeleying depressing.

And that 7 hrs doesn't even get you to the point where you can actually traverse the width of the province. You have to drive another 4 1/2 north to start that.

Or for you wierdos 1360km's

 Only 3 countries in the world don't use the metric system. Gotcha

I once read that if you ask an American how far something is they'll tell you in miles. A Canadian will tell you in minutes or hours.

We're going to Niagara falls Monday and we go right past the dealership with the expensive bike. I'll  look, but doubt I can part with the coin. 

Good news, though, I found another really good deal. It's the right bike, at the right price, and it's only a 6hr drive east. Discuss.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/2/23 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Your kids really appreciate your frugality. You're probably going to leave them enough that when it comes time for them to buy some bikes, they'll probably just buy themselves a couple of new bikes rather than hem and haw about it. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/23 4:40 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Mr_Asa said:

Not really the point of this thread, but most definitely first world problems.

Boss' kids' school went on lockdown today for an active shooter.  Yesterday two kids OD'd due to fentanyl laced THC vape cartridges, one died overnight. 

 

I want kids, but berkeley me.  This is what I have to look forward to if I have them?  This is high school life now?

I mean, its a good school as well.  Low student:teacher ratio, solid funding, decently high ranking in Florida schools.

Just... WTF.

I'm ambivalent about the idea of ever having kids but I'm definitely not inclined to bring any into...all this. I'd be worried that they could inherit my capacity for misery at the very least.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/2/23 4:48 p.m.
Peabody said:
Streetwiseguy said:

To get across the width of Ontario, you have to drive through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and most of New York.

It's berkeleying depressing.

And that 7 hrs doesn't even get you to the point where you can actually traverse the width of the province. You have to drive another 4 1/2 north to start that.

Or for you wierdos 1360km's

 Only 3 countries in the world don't use the metric system. Gotcha

I once read that if you ask an American how far something is they'll tell you in miles. A Canadian will tell you in minutes or hours.

We're going to Niagara falls Monday and we go right past the dealership with the expensive bike. I'll  look, but doubt I can part with the coin. 

Good news, though, I found another really good deal. It's the right bike, at the right price, and it's only a 6hr drive east. Discuss.

Wife and I usually use hours for distance. But I am far from being a Canadian. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/2/23 4:50 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Mr_Asa said:
Mr_Asa said:

Not really the point of this thread, but most definitely first world problems.

Boss' kids' school went on lockdown today for an active shooter.  Yesterday two kids OD'd due to fentanyl laced THC vape cartridges, one died overnight. 

 

I want kids, but berkeley me.  This is what I have to look forward to if I have them?  This is high school life now?

I mean, its a good school as well.  Low student:teacher ratio, solid funding, decently high ranking in Florida schools.

Just... WTF.

I'm ambivalent about the idea of ever having kids but I'm definitely not inclined to bring any into...all this. I'd be worried that they could inherit my capacity for misery at the very least.

yeah, between our combined health issues in the family and our propensity to cause ourselves more harm than intended I got the snip snip long ago. 

superfund
superfund New Reader
2/2/23 11:42 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

More or less depressing than driving through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and most of New York? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/3/23 8:27 a.m.

In reply to Bob444 :

Do you smoke in a canoe?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/23 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I mean that's a pretty impressive long game for a canoe. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/3/23 9:26 a.m.

I wonder if disabling putting a URL in a post until a user has had a certain number of posts or been a user for a certain amount of time would help.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
2/4/23 5:44 p.m.

Our housekeeper broke the glass on an old china cabinet that's apparently been in my Dads' family for generations. She was very apologetic. I can't get upset about it. It used to live at the bottom of the stairs at my folks place. I have no idea how many of my Hot Wheels cars came off the tracks and smacked that cabinet over the years. I guess it was bound to happen.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/4/23 6:05 p.m.

In reply to superfund :

You have way points, instead of a sign that says "Quebec: Forever to go."

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/23 2:10 p.m.

Just had a haircut take an hour. I like the long hair I've got going on right now, but I ain't built for this.

"We offer a complimentary shot with your haircut!" Cool. Just cut my hair.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/11/23 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

From Thanksgiving thru the middle of January my barber has a bar setup so you can take a shot and celebrate.  He might join in at the end of the day.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/11/23 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

Didn't you tell her to aim her Hot Wheel track the other way?

Every issue my father-in-law has he blames the cleaning ladies.  

Car key fob missing?  They stole the keys and they're coming back later for his Chevrolet Equinox.  Oh no, it was in his suit coat pocket.

Paperwork missing? They stole some tax paperwork and are going to run his SS number.  Oh no, it was in that 12" paperwork stack he never shreds, files or recycles. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/25/23 7:09 p.m.

I am a big believer in Peter Egans "One Good Car" theory.  For those unfamiliar, as long as you own one vehicle that you and your family can climb into at a moments notice, you can own all the unreliable junk in the country as playthings.

My XC90 sure has been making me consider a bad head gasket for the last while.  Small coolant loss with no external evidence, and now an intermittent misfire on cold start for a second or two.  Today, the starter gave me a pretty good hint that it's about to E36 M3 the bed, plus it's at 270,000km.  My V50 turbo has 270,000 km, although no particular concerns.  My 2000 Silverado is 310,000 km, and the cluster is doing its very best VW warning light imitation.  The 94 SR20 Sentra is not really a super fine highway cruiser.  A supercharged 82 Camaro isn't a great winter car, nor is the 6.0 67 Camaro.

I would really like a newer One Good Car.  Unfortunately, I think that's an R design XC60, and they cost money.  I'm a cheap prick...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/23 9:50 p.m.

I have a strange, impulsive desire to own and learn to play a hurdy gurdy. Turns out they're $1100 to start out with, so maybe 2025-26 I could afford one.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
5/14/23 10:02 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

To get across the width of Ontario, you have to drive through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and most of New York.

It's berkeleying depressing.

I guess it would be depressing only having to deal with one type of state trouper on the freeways. And all those trees and wildlife to see......

1 ... 30 31 32 33

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pm3pLXt6IUYhquKoYpffz1iQ6RpD96kvuFH2vuBmHDbIYwjThbpuR5C6IGx0RGBR