SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/26/16 9:54 a.m.

Last Saturday, I was doing laundry, and noticed that my 6-year old GE electric dryer's on switch was loose. Furthermore, it was not functioning. So, I grab a screwdriver, open up the console, and see that the plastic tabs holding the switch in had broken off and the switch was loose. With my finest duct tape, I re-installed it, but the dryer would not turn on. I hit the interwebs for some advice, leading me to order a new switch and knob for a grand total of $15, which arrived yesterday (thanks Amazon!). I installed the new switch with more duct tape, and the heat setting switch's plastic tabs also crumbled, so that was also fastened with even more duct tape. But it works!!! Well, at least for now.

And that leads me to my next question:

What is the expectancy life for a washer and dryer these days?

Back in 2010 when we bought our house, my wife wanted front loading machines (she is short and the machines are in the basement, elevated because it can get wet sometimes), so we bought a "slightly used" pair of GE machines on Craigslist for $400. BAD IDEA. The dryer was a gas dryer, and even though the house was plumbed for gas, the plumber told us it would involve re-engineering the whole gas setup for the house to use it, so we bought a replacement GE electric dryer new. That front loading washer we bought lasted all of 6 months before kicking the bucket, so we went out and got a new TOP loading GE washer, because all of the FRONT loading ones were super expensive. That one lasted about 6 months before it died (the tub became off balance and snapped stuff and shredded a bearing), and it was replaced under warranty.

All in all, we've had the dryer for 6 years and the washer for about 5. Obviously, the dryer is falling apart, and now the washer tub is loosening up again and scraping the sides of the machine during agitation cycles.

Last night, we went to Lowes to look at new machines to prepare for the inevitable, and my poor, short wife still wants that front loading washer and dryer set. I've read threads on here before on which ones are good and which ones suck, and yes, I know all about Speed Queen machines ($$$$$$ though!), but we found ourselves looking at Whirlpool and Maytag stuff. I know to stay away from LG, Samsung, and Bosch. And I'm definitely not getting GE again. What is good out there, and should how long should I expect them to last?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
7/26/16 10:08 a.m.

When we bought our house in 2004, we bought brand new Kenmore front-load washer and drier, highly recommended by Consumer Reports.

At about 6 years or so, the washer had the back bearing replaced (the drum comes attached, so that was pricey). Apparently when they say they don't need much soap, they mean NOT MUCH. I was using maybe half the soap a top-loader needs, and it worked its way past the seal and into the bearing. We now use a Tablespoon of soap per load.

At about the 8 year mark, the shocks inside broke (replacements were a re-designed heftier version).

At the 9 year mark, the pump quit and was replaced.

This year, the heating element in the drier burned out, but I unsheathed a butted crimp connector and re-attached it. It will burn out again somewhere else, but we're back in business.

Generally speaking, the parts are cheap. And the machines are generally quite serviceable. If you have to "pay the man," it's not cost effective to repair them, but if you do it yourself, brag to your sweetie and take her out for dinner with the money you save. She'll love you forever.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
7/26/16 10:10 a.m.

Not a perfect answer but the IRS allows for the depreciation of household appliances for 11 years.
Source: see page 11

It would seem to imply that The IRS expects a these items to have an 11 year useful life.

This is not to say that the machine will need no repairs for 11 years. Reasonable maint and repairs should be expected. It will be up to you to define reasonable.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/26/16 10:14 a.m.

I bought a Kenmore (Whirlpool) built top loading washer and electric drier in 2001 shortly after graduating from college and getting my own apartment. Got some of the cheapest ones in their lineup at a scratch and dent sale. The washer started leaking after 12 years, and I just went and bought a new one (a nearly identical unit under a different Whirlpool private label brand - I think it's Roper). The drier is still operational, only needed a seal glued back in place at one point. So I'd definitely say the Whirlpool ones have been a good value for the money.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/26/16 10:33 a.m.

Speed Queen. Just do it.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/26/16 12:39 p.m.

When I researched appliances 4-years ago, the consensus was to never buy them from a big-box store, but rather to seek out a local independent appliance dealer. I'm happy we did, and I don't think we paid much more(if any) than we would have otherwise.

trucke
trucke Dork
7/26/16 12:43 p.m.

You know the answer. This will not go away until you succumb. Meaning you will have this conversation in a few years again, and again, and again.

Dr. Hess wrote: Speed Queen. Just do it.
SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/26/16 1:11 p.m.

I forgot to add... When we bought our dryer, it came from Lowes. Wasn't a bad experience honestly, and it was cheap. Our washer came from an independent local place. They were helpful when it crapped the bed, too. Instead of us having to contact GE, they took care of everything and swapped the unit out for a new one. And the price was actually better than the big box stores at the time.

And I know on the Speed Queen stuff. I'm not the one you have to convince.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/26/16 1:16 p.m.

The next time your GE turns to crap (from which it came), try "Gee, Honey, let's try one of those 'Speed Queen' washers. They get clothes really clean, fast, and they don't break down all the time like these GE crap ones do. OK, so there's no digital readout and you can't program it to start six months from now, but not breaking down has a lot to go for it too...."

failboat
failboat UberDork
7/26/16 1:25 p.m.

stay away from LG? we bought a set new 6 years ago, the only thing I ever had to do was replace a door seal on the front load washer. PROTIP: the seals last a lot longer if you lift your wet laundry out of the washer, trying to avoid dragging them across the lower part of the seal. A couple hours of cursing at the thing while replacing the seal finally got it through my wifes head.

they worked great the entire time (we sold the house recently)

STM317
STM317 Reader
7/26/16 2:03 p.m.

Based on my 5 years of delivering appliances I'd wager 7 years is about the average lifespan for a washer/dryer set for your average homeowner. GRMers can probably limp them along quite a bit further by fixing things themselves.

One thing to keep in mind with appliances (and this is just my opinion) but paying more doesn't necessarily buy better quality. It will buy convenience items like additional features, or added capacity but don't assume that a more expensive unit will last longer or clean better.

If you're going to be working on it yourself, Whirlpool/Maytag probably has the largest parts network in North America, so it will probably be easier to find parts for them than other brands. Samsung and LG aren't bad units in my opinion, but parts can be difficult to come by. GE's have been thoroughly unimpressive for awhile, and they're owned by a Chinese operation now, so take that for what it is.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
7/26/16 2:25 p.m.

So when did this stuff become disposable crap? My top loading Kenmore (Whirlpool) washer and front loading dryer have been going strong since 1995.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/26/16 2:26 p.m.

In reply to STM317:

One of the reasons we went with the GE units was because they were simple machines. No fancy control panels on these... just a few knobs and maybe a light or two. And since that dryer was so simply built, it was easy to source parts and repair. I got the parts from Amazon Prime, and 2 days and $15 later it works again. For how long, I have no clue, but it works.

Also, the dryer was made in Canada and the washer in the USA, I think. We were told it was one of the last washers they made without a door lock, so you can open it at any time during the cycle if something gets weird.

I've also heard that no one makes anything worth a damn appliance-wise anymore. It probably depends on who you talk to. I know if I ask my dad about Samsung refrigerators, he will go nuclear. He's had one for less than 3 years, had the ice maker replaced 3 times now, and now the temp control for the refrigerator died. A guy down the street may say his Samsung fridge is the best one he's had ever.

STM317
STM317 Reader
7/26/16 2:45 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

I agree that the GEs are simple machines, and it's a good thing they're easy to work on. Everything about them feels flimsy and cheap to me. If you go into it with low expectations, and plan to have to work on it, then it's probably not a terrible deal.

I've seen/heard/experienced some Samsung icemaker horror stories. I've also seen plenty of satisfied customers. Ultimately though, their ability to make a functional icemaker has little to do with their ability to produce functional washer/dryer sets. GM makes some quality stuff, and some crappy stuff. I wouldn't let the fact that they made the Aveo sway me from buying a Silverado but I understand that some people would rather avoid all of a manufacturers products after one bad experience. This is not me endorsing a specific brand, just trying to make the point that sometimes manufacturers make one junky product and another quality product.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
7/26/16 3:12 p.m.

I bought a set of Kenmore front loaders when I bought my house in 2005. The heating element in the drier went bad around the 6-7 year mark. A little internet research for diagnoses and parts made it an easy fix. You really do feel like a hero fixing appliances. Then last year the drum broke on the washing machine. Of course i was going to try to fix it. Tore the thing down and ordered a replacement from amazon. It wasn't cheap. I think it was near $400. Unfortunately the replacement drum had a shaft that was a couple thousandths of an inch thicker than OEM. The factory replacement would have been $500+, so I said berkeley it and bought a new Whirlpool from Costco.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
7/26/16 3:16 p.m.

I don't even know how old the maytag washer is, my dad bought the house in 1994 so before that. I've had to replace heating element and belt on Kenmore electric dryer, I hate working on appliances but cheaper than new stuff. Kenmore stuff seems like junk, from the fridge to the dryer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0HrzY7I9vAHbq1GDK6FTZtn8tgGfBJIeJb4jGOWU3ZfRE49hhIj7c4YDKd3fu5fo