VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/23 1:20 p.m.

My maybe 5 year old Samsung UN70TU6985FXZA 70-Inch Class TU6985 4K Crystal UHD HDR Smart Tv screen has suddenly gotten darker over the top half of the screen. Searching indicates that the LED backlight strips need replacing. Anybody successfully accomplished such an endeavor? Searching for an hour on the net doesn't bring up that particular tv and I hate searching the internet and weeding through all of the #%$& out there.

There are videos on YouTube showing how to tear the tv down, replace the strips, and put it back together.

I payed $680 for this thing and always buy cheaper near obsolete electronics so I don't feel as raped when this stuff conks out. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/23 1:36 p.m.

Haven't done it myself but had a complete backlight replacement done by a shop, cost about $200.

VolvoHeretic
5/19/23 1:40 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Thanks, that might be the trick to finding the parts. Hard to say if there are any electronic repair shops out here in the sticks of ND anymore, they have all closed up shop because of old age death retirement.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/19/23 1:55 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Haven't done it myself but had a complete backlight replacement done by a shop, cost about $200.

Seems to me that would be the way to go. I'd be worried that replacing only some of the strips would make one part of the screen brighter or darker than the rest.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
5/19/23 2:13 p.m.
lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
5/19/23 3:40 p.m.

I spent 70? On parts to replace mine that went out, and cracked it near instantly. 0/10. Would not attempt again. 

VolvoHeretic
5/19/23 5:14 p.m.
triumph7 said:

But can't you buy a new 70" or larger TV for not much more now?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-70-Class-4K-UHD-2160P-webOS-Smart-TV-70UQ7070ZUD/642419413?athbdg=L1102&from=/search

Everything I have is Samsung, I would like to keep them all the same so I don't have to learn how to use a new remote.

I would definitely replace all of the strips after reading the LED bulb thread.

Inlogauge, Bummer. crying Care to share more info?

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
5/19/23 7:09 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

I've replaced many cell phone screens without too much of an issue. Tv's are way more difficult. One of the first steps was separating the screen from the housing? As soon as I attempted that with the recommended tool, the screen cracked. It was a tlc 4 series so nothing fancy, but I imagine they are all pretty similar in the repair process. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
5/19/23 8:23 p.m.

List it on marketplace for $200 and sell it to some other sucker and buy a new one.  

VolvoHeretic
5/19/23 9:53 p.m.

I will admit that the LG 70" is tempting for $500 since I've already had to switch brands of Blu-ray players because Samsung no longer makes them. And, I already bought a LG Fridge. Backlight kits off of ebay are $50 assuming that is really what is wrong with the contraption. ebay.com: LED Backlight For UN70TU6980FXZA UN70TU700DBXZA UN70TU7000BXZA UN70TU6985FXZA

I better list this experience on the "LEDs Suck" thread. smiley

Edit: Of course if I try and fix it myself, how much cat hair will wind up inside of it and will it be visible for ever more?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qols8lSJnxmEaGyrUeEoPs8GLwwjdD78ETrbSYqStU8iS6vxqoZpgPYQqN28r1mo