Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
5/27/13 8:34 a.m.

That whole Fountain of Youth thing? BS. If you trust the Smithsonian, that is. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Ponce-De-Leon-Never-Searched-for-the-Fountain-of-Youth-208345831.html

Ponce De Leon Never Searched for the Fountain of Youth How did this myth about the Spanish explorer even get its start? By Matthew Shaer Smithsonian magazine, June 2013 Ponce de Leon Ponce de León's name wasn't tied to the Fountain of Youth until 14 years after his death. (The Granger Collection, NYC) Half a millennium ago, in 1513, the Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León departed Puerto Rico for the verdant island of “Bimini”—an uncharted land in what is now the Bahamas. He eventually landed instead in Florida, where he staked a claim for the Spanish Crown and ensured himself a spot in the annals of history. As legend has it , and as scholars have maintained for centuries, Ponce was in search of the Fountain of Youth, a fabled wellspring thought to give everlasting life to whoever bathed in or drank from it. But new scholarship contradicts the old fable and suggests that Ponce was interested not in longevity but political gain. The real story goes something like this: In 1511, messy political squabbling forced Ponce to surrender the governorship of Puerto Rico, an appointment he had held since 1509. As a consolation prize, King Ferdinand offered him Bimini, assuming the stalwart conquistador could finance an expedition and actually find it. J. Michael Francis, a historian at the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg who has spent decades studying the Spanish colonies in the Americas , says no mention of a Fountain of Youth occurs in any known documents from Ponce’s lifetime, including contracts and other official correspondence with the Crown. In fact, Ponce’s name did not become connected with the Fountain of Youth until many years after his death, and then only thanks to a Spanish court chronicler out to discredit him. Gonzalo Fernández de Oviedo y Valdés disliked Ponce, contending that he was gullible, egocentric and dull-witted. The animosity probably had something to do with court politics: Oviedo aligned himself with Diego Columbus, who was the son of Christopher and the man who helped push Ponce out of Puerto Rico. In Historia general y natural de las Indias, Oviedo’s account of the Spanish settling of the Americas, he relates a tale in which Ponce, deceived by Indians, goes tromping off on a futile hunt for the Fountain of Youth. It’s all a literary device intended to make Ponce appear foolish. Although visits to spas and mineral baths were common in the 16th century, actually believing water could reverse aging was apparently considered pretty silly. Oviedo’s satiric version of Ponce’s travels stuck. “You’ve got this incredible story that started out as an invention,” Francis says, “and by the 17th century, it has become history.” (For what it’s worth, Ponce died at age 47 after being wounded by an arrow in a fight with an Indian tribe in Florida.) Of course, not all tall tales are codified by the passing years into something approaching fact. Sherry Johnson, a historian at Florida International University, says the myth of Ponce de León and his magical fountain remain because of the romance. “Instinctively, we latch on to it—this idea that we might never get old,” she says. It also fits the self-made mythos of America, a young country where, we’re taught, anything is possible. Florida continues to capitalize on what could be its greatest legend, with hundreds of tourists drinking each day from the stone well at St. Augustine’s Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park. Despite debunking efforts by Francis and others, the story of Ponce’s fountain just won’t die.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/27/13 8:48 a.m.

The Smithsonian is one of my favorite magazines. It is loaded with well researched historical content and beefy enough that I get 3 bathroom trips out of it.

I'm one behind - the Battle of Bunker Hill story in the last one was really cool.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/27/13 8:53 a.m.

We've been lied to?!

What a friggen surprise. Next thing you'll be tellin' me is Columbus wasn't really tryin' to get to India!

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/27/13 8:58 a.m.

It is not just st. augustine, we have two state parks based on that myth.

BTW, if you go to De Leon State Park in FL, go to the old sugar mill restaurant inside the park. Get the unlimited pitcher of pancake batter, and make pancakes at the griddle built into your table. Decent food, lots of fun More pictures/description here: http://www.planetdeland.com/sugarmill/

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/27/13 10:55 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

It's a shame they tore down that citrus packing house right by there.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/27/13 11:03 a.m.

Oh, I never went there. That would have been cool.

Florida's Natural is a local owner co-op, and I like their visitor's center/gift shop. Most people rush through in 10 minutes and then buy stuff. if you care to take the time, they have a lot more educational content than you would expect could be packed into such a small space

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
5/27/13 11:31 a.m.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
5/27/13 12:09 p.m.

Fountain of youth is a nice park. Water tastes bad, but locals get in free! Used to live in saint auggie, talk abou florida living history....

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
5/27/13 12:38 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/27/13 1:02 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:

That's OK. We'll keep GRM all to ourselves.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
5/27/13 1:54 p.m.

After living up North. I'd gladly move back to Florida and be cut from the rest. You northerners are a strange breed. Rude at that too. :)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/13 2:07 p.m.

I enjoyed Florida.. just leave me the keys

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/27/13 2:25 p.m.

Too much sand, ridiculous humidity, insects you can ride, hurricanes from hell... gimme the GA/SC/NC mountains any day.

But back to the OP: anybody remember the X Files episode 'Detour' where they met up with some of Ponce de Leon's people? That was one creepy episode.

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Detour

Damn I miss that show.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/27/13 3:34 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: After living up North. I'd gladly move back to Florida and be cut from the rest. You northerners are a strange breed. Rude at that too. :)

Meh. We got better pizza and beer.

You'd be rude too if you had to live with rusty cars. :D

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/29/13 8:40 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: In reply to JoeyM: It's a shame they tore down that citrus packing house right by there.

Actually, Strawn's is still right there, and returning to the earth in a gloriously, tragically picturesque way. Here's a pic:

Margie

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
5/29/13 10:05 a.m.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/13 10:07 a.m.

fixer upper?

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
5/29/13 10:52 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Oh, I never went there. That would have been cool. Florida's Natural is a local owner co-op, and I like their visitor's center/gift shop. Most people rush through in 10 minutes and then buy stuff. if you care to take the time, they have a lot more educational content than you would expect could be packed into such a small space

Thanks for this. I drive by this place 2-4 times a month and will make a stop next time.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
5/29/13 11:01 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: fixer upper?

Na, 32Million worth of waterfront access.......It even has a boat garage under it....A FRIGGIN BOAT GARAGE

cwh
cwh PowerDork
5/29/13 11:09 a.m.

Actually, that house looks doable. The boat, not so much.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/29/13 3:03 p.m.

$32 MILLION!?!?!? There's got to be alcohol and bath salts involved in setting that price.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/29/13 3:26 p.m.
Enyar wrote:
JoeyM wrote: Oh, I never went there. That would have been cool. Florida's Natural is a local owner co-op, and I like their visitor's center/gift shop. Most people rush through in 10 minutes and then buy stuff. if you care to take the time, they have a lot more educational content than you would expect could be packed into such a small space
Thanks for this. I drive by this place 2-4 times a month and will make a stop next time.

It's mostly a comparison of the old packaging/processing techniques to the modern methods, early descriptions of different citrus cultivars, methods of packaging liquids (it's a juice plant, remember), some warm fuzzy stuff on how citrus agriculture has become more environmentally friendly in modern times (mostly less water waste....which actually matters. You'll recall that there was a sinkhole on the northbound side of 27 a few years back. It was a few blocks north of 60). They also have a little PR video about the co-op

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lpjVLAdLTp86cN7tVkeYQm6ltu2M3lNpRVafIPzmUTCjJp4bhVE22VgKqc6NntKg