1 2 3 ... 7
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/09 11:29 p.m.

Got the idea from a "food horror stories" thread I was reading.

Anything mixing mayonnaise and ketchup - Food from hell. There is a salad dressing made from nothing but mayonnaise mixed with ketchup, I forget the name but it's orangey-pink and tastes like a cruel prank.

*Macaroni Pie - a popular food in the Caribbean, I would describe it as burnt, coagulated macaroni and cheese, often served lukewarm or even cold. I must be the only person who's tasted it and doesn't like it. I'm the only person who's right.

Bacon - maybe just because of the reeking death-stench associated with preparing it at home. That smell scars you for life, and that's before you see the grease left behind.

Most steak - I'll tolerate some steaks in small quantities if well-done, but otherwise, I'm not eating one monolithic slab of meat just like that outside of a survival situation, sorry.

Honorable mentions:

Roast eggplant. Had it at a family dinner, everyone else was okay with it but to me it tasted like someone put some old, dirty, moist couches hippies had been lounging on in a blender and I just put what came out in my mouth. I had to excuse myself and spit it up. My dad was killing himself at the expression on my face but I didn't think it was funny.

Onion Pie. WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!? WHAT KIND OF SICK berkeley COMES UP WITH THIS!? Making a pie of onions sounds like something from a torture-horror movie. In fact don't let Quentin Tarantino or whoever makes the Saw series know about it, I don't even want to see the trailers. My sister made it once because, hey, it's weird, let's make it and eat it! The smell alone was deadly.

Rufledt
Rufledt New Reader
6/30/09 11:31 p.m.

potato salad, cole slaw, mustard, anything with mushrooms... (its a dang fungus! like that thing stuff that grows on feet! why would you eat that?!)

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/30/09 11:43 p.m.

I only hate onions, I usually lie and say I'm allergic to avoid them.

Luke
Luke Dork
6/30/09 11:43 p.m.

I think you might be doing Shepherd's Pie wrong. It's not meant to have macaroni. And it has to be hot.

I can't stand bananas, or anything banana flavoured. Horrible, mushy, smelly things.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/30/09 11:47 p.m.
Luke wrote: I think you might be doing Shepherd's Pie wrong. It's not meant to have macaroni. And it has to be hot.

Yeah, Shepherd's Pie is supposed to be meat, potatoes, and veggies in gravy, topped with mashed potatoes and cheese, then baked. It's very British (i.e. gravy and a crust).

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/1/09 12:12 a.m.

Cheese. Seriously. The stuff REPULSES me. I'll eat Doritos and Cheez-its, but that's about it.

Oddly enough, I'm not a fussy eater outside of that--I'm actually a pretty big foodie. I just can't do the cheese thing.

With the heart history in my family, this isn't a bad thing.

Rufledt
Rufledt New Reader
7/1/09 12:20 a.m.

whoa cheese is like my favorite! my favorite is fontina. my friends and family say it smells like dead animal + barf but i swear, after you eat a whole brick of it, the smell becomes like heaven, 2nd only to the taste.

but then again i'm from wisconsin, we like cheese here.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/1/09 12:23 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: whoa cheese is like my favorite!

That's the instinctive reaction of about 99% of people who learn of my cheese dislike.

Rufledt
Rufledt New Reader
7/1/09 12:32 a.m.

lol fair enough. i'm just strange. i once walked through high school with a bag of cheese cubes as a snack. and if i ate smelly cheese in AP drawing class, i could atleast pretend the penetrating stench was the photography chemicals in the bins next to me lol

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
7/1/09 1:09 a.m.
gamby wrote:
Rufledt wrote: whoa cheese is like my favorite!
That's the instinctive reaction of about 99% of people who learn of my cheese dislike.

I know that story. I don't eat any dairy products at all. Cheese is disgusting, but it pales in comparison to butter. I can't even look at it. My family knows better now, but they occasionally slip up, and cook something in butter. I have to leave the house until the smell is gone. Milk? I was forced to drink it in kindergarten, and the taste, and texture made me sick. I just call it an allergy, and most people accept that, and leave me alone. Try eating in restaurants with no dairy in the diet. It sure cuts out a lot of stuff.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/09 1:52 a.m.

I dislike most melons, strawberries and gourds.

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
7/1/09 2:37 a.m.

Mister, you'd do well not to mention your dislike of Bacon in these parts.

That's not the smell of death, that's the smell of life.

My thing is Cheeseburgers. I love cheese, I love hamburgers, but don't and have never liked cheeseburgers.

-James

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/09 2:44 a.m.

I will second bacon, I like the smell, but not the taste. I also hate Mayo and anything with mayo in it.

Jay
Jay Dork
7/1/09 4:15 a.m.

I was going to chime in with "bacon", but Gameboy already got that one. I'm vegetarian now, but I never did like the stuff.

I'll throw one out here: chocolate. Really bitter dark chocolate I'm okay with in moderate doses, but sugary milk chocolate is just pointless.

Also, melons. All of them, including watermelons. Who decided that these things are edible fruit? He or she was wrong.

Luke
Luke Dork
7/1/09 4:23 a.m.
Salanis wrote: It's very British (i.e. gravy and a crust).

All it's missing is a silly name. Like, 'toad in the hole', or 'spotted dick'.

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot Reader
7/1/09 5:07 a.m.

Oysters, they taste like metal to me.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
7/1/09 5:16 a.m.

Avocado is green and slimy - I've never been able to get over the slimy part. I don't even really mind the taste, but the texture makes me want to hurl.

Beets are inedible, as far as I'm concerned. So are turnips.

Other than that, I'll eat anything else that the average person would label as food, and I'd say I'm at least 75% - "yeah, I'd try that" while watching the bizarre food guy on TV.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
7/1/09 5:21 a.m.

I think I win this thread, I am easily the pickiest person ever I have ever met. It is honestly generally easier for me to list out the foods I do like when the topic come up.

But to name a few of the bad ones: Ketchup. Seriously just the smell makes me want to vomit.

Eggs. Can handle small quantities or mixed into food, but in any quantity the texture of them just ends it for me. Its a mouth full of wiggling fried goop

Ranch. Just not good, I don't get it.

But honestly if its not meat (no fish), cheese, bread or potato I probably don't like it much.

Bacon is amazing.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
7/1/09 5:50 a.m.

I hate Mayo,and anything made with it. I go to lots of cook outs during the warm month here in New England,and that is all they have at these things. Potato salad,egg salad,pasta salad,all made with that god awful mayo. Just about makes me want to hurl. I hate blue cheese,and ranch as well.

Actually I am a pretty picky eater,but you wouldn't tell from my appearance(read fat guyness). I am not a big veggie guy,but the past ten years or better with my wife I have come to enjoy beets,spinach,squash,and many other veggies,but man I cannot get over the texture,and flavor of Broccoli. It just makes me gag,but when she serves it I eat it,because I know it is good for me. My oldest son(6 years old),loves that Broccoli,and I swear he can't be my kid. The 2 year old hates the stuff,and most veggies,but who knows why,we raised them on the same stuff.

Chris

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/1/09 6:04 a.m.

I HATE mayo. I only like it on big juicy hamburgers. NOT a cheeseburger. Just meat, bun, mayo, and a thick onion slice, please. I can deal with it in potato salad, but the second the guy in front of me asks for "extra mayo" on his sub, i have to excuse myself.

Sun dried tomatos are another one of my "can not do" foods.

Cake. I cannot stand cake. The texture, i just can't deal with it. Now, if it's like a really heavy, dense, moist cake, sure. Apple cake, carrot cake with cream cheese icing, no problems. But Dunkin Hines style or whatever, HELL NO.

And that's really about it. I don't hate chocolate, but i'm not a fan of it either.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
7/1/09 6:13 a.m.

Not too crazy about Rapini which is sometimes called Broccoli Rabe. It tastes like a part of the plant that you are supposed to throw out. Sort of like eating a banana peel.

I do not care for Heineken beer. To me it smells like cat urine. Really.

Other than that, I eat most anything including most of the stuff listed above. Onion pie sounds good to me.

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
7/1/09 6:24 a.m.

In the popular but I can't stand it realm, cilantro is the top of my list. I was reading an article that theorized there may be a gene that separates cilantro lovers and haters, but I don't think I have it. The stuff makes my throat close up as if I have an allergy to it... and it tastes like soap.

Others...

Celery. Mmmmm... just what I want! Coarse, stringy fibers and that eye-watering flavor! Bleagh!

Cream of Wheat aka the Breakfast of the Devil. A bowl of snot is almost as appealing. DO NOT commit the sin of confusing this unholiest of hot cereals with heaven-sent grits. And do not put syrup or jelly on your grits, yankees!

Fake Watermelon flavoring. The worst offender was Hubba Bubba bubblegum though Jolly Rancher and other candies use it too. Instant migraine headache in a bite sized package.

Water chestnuts. With no discernible flavor, they are sliced and diced into dishes to add texture. If the texture of wet chalk is your thing, you can spoon mine off the side of my plate.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/1/09 6:32 a.m.

I'm at a loss. If it's food, I eat it.

Heck, if it's not food, I frequently eat it.

The opposum is my hero. It eats everything. I strive to be like the opposum!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/1/09 6:45 a.m.

Liver does it for me. I'd rather eat a pool filter.

Cooked carrots, I'll eat them raw all day long, but cooking just makes them nasty.

Peas, not sure why, but gross.

Other than that, bring it on. Me loves me some food. Just the thought of a big fat steak, or a greasy hamburger with bacon and mayo, mmmmmmmm is it lunch time yet?

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
7/1/09 6:45 a.m.

Cheese, bacon, fruit.

What's wrong with some of you?

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ol1xlzZbm9CRrjJ4lmeCG7aQbmZFcpupoPmn5DiszYDuu0LU73pnLnExtM3d60GX