dan_efi
dan_efi New Reader
9/9/09 8:00 p.m.

'96 F-150 (last year of the square trucks) with digital odometer.

Dad's been driving it for the past few weeks, inching up on 400,000kms. Tonight he told me it now has 300,000kms! The odometer reset back when it was supposed to roll over!

Anyone else witness this before?

Kind of ticks me off, you tell someone your truck has 400,000kms and the truck is sitting there making you look like a liar....

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/9/09 8:59 p.m.

My only issue on an old ford truck was brake lines...

andrave
andrave Reader
9/9/09 9:04 p.m.

I had a diesel with 268,000 miles that just said 68,000.

But that was a 91. Pre digital. I told the buyer the true mileage (that truck was clean if i hadn't, he'd have never known).

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/9/09 9:08 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: My only issue on an old ford truck was brake lines...

Yeah, I blew up some of those once. Luckily, it was on a straight, flat, isolated road.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/9/09 9:13 p.m.

I've never heard of a digital odometer going crazy though. That's really strange.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/09 9:55 p.m.

yes, most digital odometres just seem to lose pixels, not roll back the miliage

wayslow
wayslow New Reader
9/9/09 11:12 p.m.

On my 2004 Cavalier the digital odometer is the only instrument that still works.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/09 7:18 a.m.
dan_efi wrote: '96 F-150 (last year of the square trucks) with digital odometer. Dad's been driving it for the past few weeks, inching up on 400,000kms. Tonight he told me it now has 300,000kms! The odometer reset back when it was supposed to roll over! Anyone else witness this before? Kind of ticks me off, you tell someone your truck has 400,000kms and the truck is sitting there making you look like a liar....

And?

Maybe it's British kilometers.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
9/10/09 7:28 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
dan_efi wrote: '96 F-150 (last year of the square trucks) with digital odometer. Dad's been driving it for the past few weeks, inching up on 400,000kms. Tonight he told me it now has 300,000kms! The odometer reset back when it was supposed to roll over! Anyone else witness this before? Kind of ticks me off, you tell someone your truck has 400,000kms and the truck is sitting there making you look like a liar....
And? Maybe it's British kilometers.

Maybe it converted to miles from kilometers. .

Sonic
Sonic Dork
9/10/09 7:03 p.m.

I heard this from someone else when I was working in a tire shop, had a mid 90's F250 diesel that he used to deliver travel trailers to dealers, so it was on the road all the time. He claimed to have nearly 700k miles on it, but the odo only read 380k or something. He said every time it got to 400k it just went back to 300k and started over from there for another 100k.

Looks like Ford was too cheap to put in the extra LED or let the computer count that high.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
9/10/09 8:18 p.m.

My 98 Dodge work van mysteriously had the odometer stop counting up at some point a year ir so ago. I noticed it and called it into fleet services just so the company didn't think I was stealing fuel when I typed in the same mileage into the gas pump every time I fueled up. They ended up replacing the entire cluster a week or so later.

dan_efi
dan_efi New Reader
9/10/09 8:36 p.m.

I'm somewhat relieved now that I've heard a few other cases of the 399,999 cap. Thanks everybody.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/10/09 9:30 p.m.

I guess they didn't expect them to last that long.

Ford brake lines, oh yeah, last week on the Babe Rally car, 72 Ranchero, fixed a broken brake line, another broke, replaced it another broke, 4 times, all the lines are now new.....

hey its relevant it is a truck/car/truck.... oh whatever

dan_efi
dan_efi New Reader
9/10/09 9:41 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I guess they didn't expect them to last that long. Ford brake lines, oh yeah, last week on the Babe Rally car, 72 Ranchero, fixed a broken brake line, another broke, replaced it another broke, 4 times, all the lines are now new..... hey its relevant it is a truck/car/truck.... oh whatever

I pulled that stunt on an 84 Bronco II, there is only 1 brake line on the whole truck that I didn't end up replacing. Good thing it's only a yard truck

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/09 9:54 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I've never heard of a digital odometer going crazy though. That's really strange.

I've heard of them reporting incorrect speeds after doing burnouts or anything that involves lots of wheel slippage...especially on mid-90s Ford trucks. Never heard of them rolling back though!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xl5e2M1NvGsrMSahFkumSuhxbFSlDV8Aujx3r8QP3RPL7UNjEllOiMpEyW4JPAih