1 2 3
confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
10/5/09 6:03 p.m.

It was kinda cool. I'm not a big fan of that kinda thing normally, but this was like a movie.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
10/5/09 7:36 p.m.

I don't believe in unmarked cars. I think the presence of the police serves as a deterrent to crime (I can see undercover officers for "real crime").

for every speeder an unmarked car nabs, how many others would have saw the cruiser, checked their speed, and slow down???

If the real purpose of law enforcement is to deter crime and not just to catch law breakers, undercover cars don't really make sense. And if your argument for speeders is that excessive speed is dangerous then we could all agree that having more people obeying the speed limit is safer than catching speeders one at a time.

keethrax
keethrax Reader
10/5/09 9:08 p.m.
andrave wrote: I don't believe in unmarked cars. I think the presence of the police serves as a deterrent to crime (I can see undercover officers for "real crime"). for every speeder an unmarked car nabs, how many others would have saw the cruiser, checked their speed, and slow down??? If the real purpose of law enforcement is to deter crime and not just to catch law breakers, undercover cars don't really make sense. And if your argument for speeders is that excessive speed is dangerous then we could all agree that having more people obeying the speed limit is safer than catching speeders one at a time.

And using cops as a revenue arm/tax collectors makes people dislike/mistrust them, thus making the jobs they do that are important that much harder/more dangerous for the cops.

audifan
audifan New Reader
10/5/09 9:58 p.m.

the supercharged P71 is a good idea especially look @ the option of swapping a 5.4 motor in! Personally I was thinking more along the line of a 5Cyl Audi S6 Avant with a gt35 turbo whacking out about 400-500 hp imagine D-bags expression when there is a wagon gaining on him? Of course I go to this as I am familiar with them. Of course that would mean that the cops would have to learn how to drive a stick so maybe a no go! The aftermarket is plenty happy to supply parts to the C4 chassis S6 cars suspension is no problem and big brakes are also no problem an I bet it could all be done for under 30 k with out an issue.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
10/6/09 1:35 a.m.

Im not certain alot of police officers would be able to handle a car that fast. Im sure some are good drivers, but someone find that video of the officer wrecking his car trying to catch the 15 yeat old in a stolen e30 m3. My personal opinion is that the speed limits in most places should be raised somewhat (like 80-85 mph for a major freeway, etc) then enforced far more than they are now. That way it would actually function as a speed limit, not a speed that must be exceded by at least 5-10 mph at all times to keep from getting run off the road by douchebags driving large chrysler products or expensive european luxury cars. lol

f86sabjf
f86sabjf New Reader
10/6/09 6:37 a.m.

the thing that scares me about this moron is that he's just inspiring all the young drivers into doing this and possibly killing me or someone else .

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/09 8:02 a.m.
audifan wrote: I personally (being in the car business) would love the chance to supply the troopers with a vehicle that is capable of being a rather large thorn in the side of people like this guy, better yet give them a car that run down all but the fastest stuff out there. for less than 50K$$ Do you guys think it is do-able I have a few larger cars in mind that can deliver the power needed to do this, and have the ability thru aftermarket equipment to equip the car with brakes and suspension to match the thrust the car is capable of.

Boosted and lightened C5 Z06. Cheap, sportbike-like speed on the straights and the little imports won't get away on the corners. Driver will need some special skills and a bluetooth headset (or another cop in the car to handle communications for him).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/09 8:05 a.m.
PHeller wrote: Had he used a helicopter the rich-douche would be out on bail and we would still have this discussion.

Fixed it for you.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/6/09 9:23 a.m.

I came late into this thread but here's my .02. When I drove an FD rx7 I ran from the cops on a pretty regular basis, that being said, I bought it, paid for the mods, the replacement engines, and made sure I kept nice rubber on it. Looking back, yup I got lucky, 10 years later I'm amazed I'm alive. Do I advocate it? NOPE, do I tell the 20 year old at work who brags about running from the cops regulary on his crotch rocket to stop it, and he needs to learn to drive the speed limit? yes. Did I appreciate my FD? Nowhere near where I should have.

Now Hillsboro county sheriffs office used to have a drug seized Porche that had nothing but a radio, computer, racing seat, and a cage. Just for people like above douchebag.

grpb
grpb New Reader
10/6/09 11:57 a.m.

I don't believe in speed limits because they don't exist. The signs with mph numbers next to public roads are suggested speeds only. It is expected that 100% of drivers will regularly exceed the speeds suggested on those signs. If the police chose to actually ticket ALL speeders, that is anyone exceeding the legal speed limit, well then those fines might as well be included up front with registration cost.

We don't like the people in the video because we feel their speeding is worse than our speeding. The person in the left lane that gets mad at you for wanting him to move over going 5 mph over as compared to your 8 mph over feels the same way. And the person that he passed going 'only' 1 mph over the limit (which is still illegal) thinks everyone else should be sent to jail for endangering the public. And the person going 10 mph under the speed limit doesn't notice the speeders, and shouldn't driving anyway because they're 85 and can't see over the steering wheel, simultaneously the only one obeying the law, and the most dangerous...

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/6/09 12:11 p.m.
We don't like the people in the video because we feel their speeding is worse than our speeding. The person in the left lane that gets mad at you for wanting him to move over going 5 mph over as compared to your 8 mph over feels the same way. And the person that he passed going 'only' 1 mph over the limit (which is still illegal) thinks everyone else should be sent to jail for endangering the public. And the person going 10 mph under the speed limit doesn't notice the speeders, and shouldn't driving anyway because they're 85 and can't see over the steering wheel, simultaneously the only one obeying the law, and the most dangerous...

Going 10 mph over the speed limit in the fast lane and weaving in and out of traffic at double the speed limit while running from the cops are not the same thing.

audifan
audifan New Reader
10/7/09 8:44 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
We don't like the people in the video because we feel their speeding is worse than our speeding. The person in the left lane that gets mad at you for wanting him to move over going 5 mph over as compared to your 8 mph over feels the same way. And the person that he passed going 'only' 1 mph over the limit (which is still illegal) thinks everyone else should be sent to jail for endangering the public. And the person going 10 mph under the speed limit doesn't notice the speeders, and shouldn't driving anyway because they're 85 and can't see over the steering wheel, simultaneously the only one obeying the law, and the most dangerous...
Going 10 mph over the speed limit in the fast lane and weaving in and out of traffic at double the speed limit while running from the cops are not the same thing.

I agree poopshovel 10 mph over with the flow of traffic is far from passing on the right and going thru traffic @ 140 mph plus in a loud red car. makes wish for a large EMP unit to disable the car !!!!

And the c5 Z06 is a perfect car very well thought whack a supercharger on that and game over for almost any one in the way.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/7/09 8:51 p.m.

Good lord, are we going to have the "I am a good driver so I can drive at 140mph in 70mph traffic and be safe" argument again?

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
10/8/09 9:59 a.m.

Great, now I have to watch out for this moron while driving along NJ rte 80 going into PA. That stretch of road is treacherous enough with all of the "normal" drivers, throw this guy into the mix and there's big trouble brewing.

audifan
audifan New Reader
10/8/09 10:04 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Good lord, are we going to have the "I am a good driver so I can drive at 140mph in 70mph traffic and be safe" argument again?

I think we (most of the GRM community) recognize that the person staring us back in the mirror every morning is NOT michael schumacher and we are not getting paid10's of millions of dollars to drive a car. and as far as I am concerned unless you have a FIA super licsense in your pocket you are not good @ moving thru traffic @ 140mph plus

So no argument.

grpb
grpb New Reader
10/8/09 10:35 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Going 10 mph over the speed limit in the fast lane and weaving in and out of traffic at double the speed limit while running from the cops are not the same thing.

No. Your opinion, that some illegal speeding is worse than other illegal speeding, is neither consistent nor relevant. 140 mph in a 70 mph zone and 71 mph in a 70 mph zone are exactly the same. They are both illegal. You can hold whatever opinion you want to justify your illegal 10 mph over the limit driving, but the definition of a speed limit is 'not to exceed', without mention of driver skill. Perhaps I have been missing out, should I bring my regional race license to the DMV and ask about a speeding endorsement that allows me to go 10 mph over legally because of my 'driving skill'? Would an FIA race license allow 20 mph over legally on any public road?

That is fundamentally the problem with speed limit 'enforcement', it assumes that, like other illegal activites such as murder or theft, the majority of people will NOT engage in that illegal activity. This is completely untrue for speed limits. Everyone speeds, therefore the speed limit is not a limit, it is only a suggestion except with regards to revenue generating ticket writing. Why else would the DOT allow 100% of highway legal passenger vehicles to be sold with maximum speed far in excess of the maximum legal speed limit in the country (80 mph Texas)? What circumstance requires a passenger vehicle intended for public highway use to go faster than 80 mph? Perhaps after the apocolypse, when you're running from a black, supercharged Interceptor...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/8/09 10:45 a.m.

Illegality isn't the issue-stupidity is.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/8/09 10:49 a.m.

And yes it is even different in the eyes of the law. Different fees for different levels over the speed limit, and some states impound the car if you go 30 over.

grpb
grpb New Reader
10/8/09 11:45 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Going 10 mph over the speed limit in the fast lane and weaving in and out of traffic at double the speed limit while running from the cops are not the same thing.

Well then, if stupidity is the issue, then these things are still the same. Both are illegal and both are stupid. Why? Because there is no such thing as a 'fast' lane. The left lane is for passing and turning only, not for cruising at a constant speed. You should be getting into or out of the passing lane, not driving at a steady speed in it.

Also, I don't know who said that all illegal things are all the same severity. Hitting someone (and the result) can be anything from assault to murder. The act is still illegal. Speeding over the limit can mean anything from a warning to reckless endangerment. The act is still illegal.

You believe your illegal speeding at 10mph over home from work yesterday was ok, since you were in control and no one got hurt. Same thing the people in the video would say about their 70 mph over speeding.

You want to whine and moan about how your illegal activities should be allowed, while other identical illegal activities are clearly wrong. It's like saying you only smack your wife once in a while and not really hard so it's ok, it's not like you beat her up bad which is totally different. I'm saying be consistent, if speeding over the limit is wrong, then passenger cars shouldn't be allowed to go faster than the fastest speed limit in the first place and we wouldn't need to argue about videos of people going double the speed limit.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/8/09 3:00 p.m.

I'm saying that being stupid is the problem. If you can't see the difference between going with the flow of traffic at 10mph over the speed limit (fairly safe) vs. weaving through traffic at twice the average traffic speed then this argument is pointless. You have latched onto the posted speed limit as some sort of odd defense for people driving like morons.

Shaun
Shaun GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/8/09 3:12 p.m.
grpb wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Going 10 mph over the speed limit in the fast lane and weaving in and out of traffic at double the speed limit while running from the cops are not the same thing.
Well then, if stupidity is the issue, then these things are still the same. Both are illegal and both are stupid. Why? Because there is no such thing as a 'fast' lane. The left lane is for passing and turning only, not for cruising at a constant speed. You should be getting into or out of the passing lane, not driving at a steady speed in it. Also, I don't know who said that all illegal things are all the same severity. Hitting someone (and the result) can be anything from assault to murder. The act is still illegal. Speeding over the limit can mean anything from a warning to reckless endangerment. The act is still illegal. Huh. You believe your illegal speeding at 10mph over home from work yesterday was ok, since you were in control and no one got hurt. Same thing the people in the video would say about their 70 mph over speeding. You want to whine and moan about how your illegal activities should be allowed, while other identical illegal activities are clearly wrong. It's like saying you only smack your wife once in a while and not really hard so it's ok, it's not like you beat her up bad which is totally different. I'm saying be consistent, if speeding over the limit is wrong, then passenger cars shouldn't be allowed to go faster than the fastest speed limit in the first place and we wouldn't need to argue about videos of people going double the speed limit.

Huh.

GTRantunez
GTRantunez
5/15/11 1:47 p.m.

In reply to andrave: I agree with you 100%. Police do have all of what you mentioned. helicopters, airplanes, raidios, etc. There are all sorts of way to get around this. If your by an airport they have to ask the airspace for permision to enter and 8/10 times they will be denied. In addition, when you call for back up, it'll usually take around 2 minutes for back up to arrive. In order to accomplish all this you have to know what your doing, where your going, and what you have under the hood. Most likely you will be cought, and arrested.

dogbreath
dogbreath New Reader
5/15/11 1:51 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: It was kinda cool. I'm not a big fan of that kinda thing normally, but this was like a movie.

You should watch Getaway in Stockholm.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
5/15/11 2:47 p.m.

Die, zombie thread!

dogbreath
dogbreath New Reader
5/15/11 3:08 p.m.

Oh, man I didn't even notice.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
D3Gt0x9eLt08IbMXUJHV2FnPtprThX6w7LFarl5BvFMzeS74J3asH1XudX3o1wKy