1 2 3
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/16 2:31 p.m.

This is a big deal here. 90,000 people evacuated. My office manager has most of her family and friends there and they have lost 8 homes so far between them. 1600 or so homes gone so far

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 2:33 p.m.

Scary.

But the last picture is confusing. People are evacuating going both directions???

Burrito
Burrito Dork
5/4/16 2:42 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Fire or no fire, there's always time for Mary Brown's Famous Chicken & Taters!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
5/4/16 2:47 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Scary. But the last picture is confusing. People are evacuating going both directions???

This is apparently an image from one of the escape routes.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 2:50 p.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

Going TOWARD the fire??? Unless that's the only way out. And one that looks quite deadly.

bearmtnmartin
5/4/16 2:51 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Scary. But the last picture is confusing. People are evacuating going both directions???

There is only one highway out of town. Everyone is trying to get to it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 3:00 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote:

that's my confusion- they are lining up going both directions..... Normally, mass evacuations means that freeways are forced to all go in one direction.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/4/16 3:03 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Knowing the media - it's probably a stock photo from Sacramento rush hour on a smog day.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/4/16 3:04 p.m.

Damn nature, you scary.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/4/16 3:11 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
bearmtnmartin wrote:
that's my confusion- they are lining up going both directions..... Normally, mass evacuations means that freeways are forced to all go in one direction.

I'm confused as well. That just looks like rush hour.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/4/16 3:36 p.m.

Im sure rush hour is exacerbated by the fact that theres a giant berkeleying fire happening. You can see the glow.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
5/4/16 3:48 p.m.

There is one highway (63) that runs north & south through the city. It was at one point possible to evacuate both to the north and to the south. There are a lot of work camps on both sides of the city (30-50km north or south) sitting empty due to the slow down up there that were designated as evacuation shelters.

The fire started to the south west of town and continued heading north/north east due to wind.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/4/16 3:55 p.m.

In reply to McTinkerson:

Well that's a good explanation.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/4/16 4:04 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
bearmtnmartin wrote:

We learned that the hard way before Hurricane Hugo hit Chucktown. Now all four lanes (of an interstate) are used for vacating.

Dave
Dave Reader
5/4/16 4:55 p.m.

Craziness. I know a few folks who either work or live up in Fort McMurray.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
5/4/16 5:12 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to foxtrapper: Going TOWARD the fire??? Unless that's the only way out. And one that looks quite deadly.

Fires aren't always neatly organized and bordered. They also move. Sometimes the way out is through it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/16 8:21 p.m.

that's some scary stuff. Glad I am not there

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 8:25 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to foxtrapper: Going TOWARD the fire??? Unless that's the only way out. And one that looks quite deadly.
Fires aren't always neatly organized and bordered. They also move. Sometimes the way out is through it.

Of one of those pictures, no way I would drive through that. Wait for a while for the O2 to come back.

A guy I did not like at all tried to drive through something like that. Almost killed him. Burned up his lungs pretty good.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
5/4/16 8:27 p.m.

Isn't there a massive amount of oil stored there or near abouts?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/16 8:36 p.m.

I'd be tempted to find a burned out area and just camp there until the traffic thins out a bit. I'm not driving through that.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/4/16 8:41 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'd be tempted to find a burned out area and just camp there until the traffic thins out a bit. I'm not driving through that.

The fireman with the legit strategy! Not like its gonna burn twice.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
5/4/16 9:35 p.m.

My company has a few hundred people who work there. I don't personally know any of them but our CEO just sent out a company wide email stating that they've all been safely evacuated. Some had to leave with nothing but the clothes on their backs when the wind shifted.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
5/4/16 10:17 p.m.

Even my seething hatred of the place & the oil industry up there can't make this any less sad. I feel profoundly sorry for the people who lost their homes & their livelihoods and I hope they can rebuild and get established elsewhere.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/4/16 11:31 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'd be tempted to find a burned out area and just camp there until the traffic thins out a bit. I'm not driving through that.

I'd be kidnapping a fireman and goading him for survival strategy by teasing him with dirt bikes and cheap Porsches. Maybe a wagon for his dog. If we get out alive.

bearmtnmartin
5/5/16 12:01 a.m.
Jay wrote: Even my seething hatred of the place & the oil industry up there can't make this any less sad. I feel profoundly sorry for the people who lost their homes & their livelihoods and I hope they can rebuild and get established elsewhere.

What the duck are you doing on grassroots motorsports with a seething hatred if the oil and gas industry? Get your moccasins on, jump in your birch bark canoe and take a short paddle off a long waterfall.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vwz7eDGiSeb7dQuzrwGZV9Pq0B27rHS7QGRQlpJetNmK7c6TClJZ3fpONY5GYaEQ