1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/25/10 7:32 p.m.

Here's four things I don't feel are important enough for their own thread. Also, I'm too lazy to make four threads:

1. We just finished up our summer project, which was painting our living room. Well, it was supposed to be painting out living room, but it turned into painting our living room and replacing all the furniture, as these things are wont to do, which leads me to:

1b. Hey, IKEA. You make some reasonably stylish, very reasonably priced furniture, but I'll not set foot in your minotaur maze of a store again unless you do something to control the feral children that appear to have taken over the place. Just because your play area features Scandinavian-designed play accessories doesn't mean that every Skaavalgenblurrn, Blühervennfelg, Klit and Bløørnt is open for the rugrats to do ollies off of.

1. Season 4 of Mad Men starts tonight. Sundays officially don't suck anymore.

2. We found a snake in the bird room today. Not big, maybe a two-foot garter. But the weird thing was the birds DID NOT CARE. If anything, they were only moderately interested and slightly amused while the snake was terrified. So much for predator archetypes being hardwired into the subconscious of all animals.

3. I've said it before, and I'll repeat myself: Beef ribs > pork ribs.

jg

P.S. EDIT: Wow. Our message board does weird stuff when you make lists.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
7/25/10 7:45 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

RE: IKEA

1) Combining the "Whole store is a Playpen" mentality with the not so brilliant super-drifto 4WS shopping carts makes collisions unavoidable.

2) They REALLY need to look to other stores to improve customer service a bit. Slightly faster checkout lines, Slightly faster retrieval for non floor items, Slightly better cleaning and service in the food area, Slightly better traffic flow, Slightly better everything, could turn an experience that just irritated the hell out of me into something I might actually want to do again some day.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/25/10 7:46 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: We found a snake in the bird room today. Not big, maybe a two-foot garter.

I really don't mind those -10dgF cold winter Chicago days. Most of the wierd bugs and snakes don't always survive the cold winter frozen tundra.

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/25/10 8:32 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: 3. We found a snake in the bird room today. Not big, maybe a two-foot garter. But the weird thing was the birds DID NOT CARE. If anything, they were only moderately interested and slightly amused while the snake was terrified. So much for predator archetypes being hardwired into the subconscious of all animals.

Cypress talks to the lizards that get into the house....he even tries to feed them, throwing food items in their vicinity. Obviously, that has nothing to do with the specific snake-archetype that you mentioned, but I found it odd considering how suspicious birds can be of reptiles.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/10 8:37 p.m.

pork ribs > beef ribs

beef makes me sick, can't eat it. i bought a new smoker(a good one) and made some smoked pork loin yesterday, cooked it for 7 hours. amazing.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/25/10 8:39 p.m.

beef>pork in every aspect!! And Lamb isn't even on the charts!

Uh Oh, I can see your thread taking a sharp turn here.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/10 8:51 p.m.

How is it possible that pork ribs do not justify their own thread?

Especially when Pork Ribs > Beef Ribs.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/25/10 8:57 p.m.

I think the reason they don't deserve their own thread is the fact that everyone with more than half a brain knows definitively that BEEF >>>>>> pork

But if there was any place for pork it would be ribs.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs!!!

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
7/25/10 9:01 p.m.

!!!

Thanks for the Mad Men notice, read it JUST in time! Literally! I thought my night was gonna suck now I'm all set

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
7/25/10 9:01 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: 4. I've said it before, and I'll repeat myself: Beef ribs > pork ribs. jg P.S. EDIT: Wow. Our message board does weird stuff when you make lists.

Yes, and

Somebody ought to do something about that!

JG Pasterjak
7/25/10 9:02 p.m.

I am by no means slighting the pork rib. All I'm saying is if I HAD to make the choice, beef would win. I mean, come on, it's like the best part of the leftover prime rib.

Also, beef ribs are less sensitive than pork ribs when it comes to cooking them. Pork ribs need to be watched constantly while they're cooking to make sure they're at the right temperature, right moisture level, right amount of whatever. Beef ribs are no as picky. Put in cooking device > cook > eat. That's hard to argue with.

jg

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/10 9:04 p.m.

I have only been to an IKea once, but since they opened on in downtown Brooklyn, I've seen some funny things as people try to take their furnature home. While they are easily fit into an Saab or Volvo, a bus and a train are a different story. About 6 months ago I'm on the F train going home when a young couple boards with a long narrow box. The woman is holding the box and the man is holding a smoothie. The train moves and she hits a large man across from her rather hard, and says nothing. he ignores her. This happens four or five more times, each time the box hitting him fairly hard, and the woman pretending it's not happening. Finally as the train stops and the doors open, she loses the box and it hits him hard. He picked it up and threw it out the door on to the platform just as the doors closed. All of a sudden the couple was able to talk but it was too late. Hopefully some homeless person made good use of their new furzenglaten (possible sp)

JG Pasterjak
7/25/10 9:44 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: 3. We found a snake in the bird room today. Not big, maybe a two-foot garter. But the weird thing was the birds DID NOT CARE. If anything, they were only moderately interested and slightly amused while the snake was terrified. So much for predator archetypes being hardwired into the subconscious of all animals.
Cypress talks to the lizards that get into the house....he even tries to feed them, throwing food items in their vicinity. Obviously, that has nothing to do with the specific snake-archetype that you mentioned, but I found it odd considering how suspicious birds can be of reptiles.

There's a zoo in Nassau, Bahamas that has several large parrot flights with parrot pairs and some with even larger numbers. In some of the real big flights (and mostly with cockatoos we noticed) there's usually one or two iguanas in with the birds. And when I say "with the birds" we saw some sitting right next to a pair of moluccans on the sunny spot of a perch, and we saw a Macaw and an iguana taking turn eating from the same food bowl.

Now, if they've been together for a while, certainly they've learned that neither poses a threat to the other, but how long did that take? Was there just a brief period of adjustment and coming to terms with each other, then "go." I would have loved to have been there on day 1.

By the way, a reasonably sized moluccan or umbrella cockatoo, or even a bulky sulphurcrested would whoop an iguana unmercifully. I doubt it would even be close unless the lizard got some crazy ninja jump on the parrot. But that would just piss off a cockatoo and you better hope you have good iguana insurance.

jg

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/25/10 10:16 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: By the way, a reasonably sized moluccan or umbrella cockatoo, or even a bulky sulphurcrested would whoop an iguana unmercifully.

....not to mention what the Palm could manage.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
7/25/10 10:26 p.m.

JG.

We've got an Umbrella, a Citron crest and two Goffins plus a couple Amazons.

Based on what they do to our cats, a snake would be no concern.

Shawn

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
7/25/10 10:38 p.m.

I like Ikea furniture enough to have some in my house, but every trip there, whether we bought something or not, has left me frustrated and not wanting to go back. I don't recall ever seeing any kids in our Ikea.

I somehow managed to see the first 2 seasons of Mad men in rerun, but thought it was getting a little soft toward the end of the second season. I haven't seen an episode since.

Beef ribs are not the best part of the leftover Prime rib. They are the best part of the prime rib. We have a really good local buffet that serves Prime rib, with the rib bones on the side. I don't even bother with the prime rib. I go straight for the ribs.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/25/10 10:49 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Here's four things I don't feel are important enough for their own thread. Also, I'm too lazy to make four threads: 1. We just finished up our summer project, which was painting our living room. Well, it was supposed to be painting out living room, but it turned into painting our living room and replacing all the furniture, as these things are wont to do, which leads me to: 1b. Hey, IKEA. You make some reasonably stylish, very reasonably priced furniture, but I'll not set foot in your minotaur maze of a store again unless you do something to control the feral children that appear to have taken over the place. Just because your play area features Scandinavian-designed play accessories doesn't mean that every Skaavalgenblurrn, Blühervennfelg, Klit and Bløørnt is open for the rugrats to do ollies off of. 2. Season 4 of Mad Men starts tonight. Sundays officially don't suck anymore. 3. We found a snake in the bird room today. Not big, maybe a two-foot garter. But the weird thing was the birds DID NOT CARE. If anything, they were only moderately interested and slightly amused while the snake was terrified. So much for predator archetypes being hardwired into the subconscious of all animals. 4. I've said it before, and I'll repeat myself: Beef ribs > pork ribs. jg P.S. EDIT: Wow. Our message board does weird stuff when you make lists.
  1. Congrats. Fortunately our painting project expansion is pretty much limited to curtains.
    1b. IKEA is the devil Bobby Bucher. If I end up in hell, it will be an eternity of trying to find a nonexistant exit in a people sized mouse maze surrounded by chotchkies.
  2. I want to like it. I really do. But I've never flipped it on and had my attention held for more that 30 seconds. Unless what's her name is in the shot. Then my attention is held until she leaves the room.
  3. Food Chains in the house FTL.
  4. Country pork ribs > beef ribs > normal pork ribs

P.S. Yes it does. vBulletin.

calteg
calteg New Reader
7/25/10 10:55 p.m.
Wally wrote: I have only been to an IKea once, but since they opened on in downtown Brooklyn, I've seen some funny things as people try to take their furnature home.

Try the Ikea in Hong Kong; Population density + oversized furniture + subway = hilarity? Ikea is the car dealership of furniture sales...they drag the process out and make it so confusing in an attempt to break your will. True story.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/10 1:51 a.m.

That sounds like a show I could really enjoy.

I also had to agree with JG on the ribs. Beef is superior to all other meats.

I can't give an opinion on Mad Men because I haven't seen it but I have dug through Christina Hendricks trash looking reasons she hasn't replied to my fan mail. .

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/26/10 6:35 a.m.

guys guys guys, youre forgetting that Bacon is actually pork. It was hard for me to remember too, so dont feel bad. I too had forgotten that Bacon was not meat candy whispers from heaven and was actually the salted flesh of a hog.

Now, how awesome would some Cedar smoked, apple juice basted, brown-sugar glazed bacon wrapped beef ribs be? Im pretty sure I just felt my soul rejoice just thinking about it.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/26/10 9:10 a.m.

Take away the apple juice, brown sugar and bacon and the ribs would be great! Sweet's not good in BBQ. Neither is vinegar.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/26/10 9:28 a.m.

Discussions on beef <> pork are ... well, I'm just gonna leave this right here... cute innocent lambs > beef < > pork

wbjones
wbjones Dork
7/26/10 5:10 p.m.

it's hard top Lamb... but then it's hard for me to pick 1,2,3 .... Lamb, Beef, or Pork... how 'bout I take all 3...FTW

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
7/26/10 5:15 p.m.

Heh, I love the way Ikea is. I'm a browser though, since the nearest one is 2 hours away I might as well make a day of it anyway. Drive down, eat meatballs, and spend the next 4 hours walking it off in the maze.

Oh and I don't care what kind of ribs they are as long as they are good and smokey and falling apart I'm good!

fromeast2west
fromeast2west New Reader
7/26/10 5:16 p.m.

All I've got to say on the beef v. pork v. anything issue is:

bacon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bDMASjwYmmMpxxSPA6OL6CdJzRMBjbP90heFiC8xSJOgaYjY09drnLnEUlf9Lqfc