alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/15/19 8:03 p.m.

Just watched the documentary Framing John DeLorean.  Pretty interesting, as I was young when all of that went down.

But the real fascinating part of it that I didn't know up until now- Colin Chapman was half of the embezzlement scheme.  Delorean's biggest mistake was to partner with Colin Chapman.  Two ways- his engineering was making fast cars, but far, far from quality ones, and he got into this embezzlement scheme.

Had Delorean stuck with his engineering team, the car may have succeeded.  Heck, the odds of it being a POS when it was first delivered to the public would have been a lot less, for sure.  Especially since the team he originally had really railed on GM's quality problems (which is why he was fired from GM).

Movie wise, it's pretty choppy, and kind of slow.  But it's pretty interesting.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/15/19 8:08 p.m.

Available on Netflix? Sounds interesting.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/15/19 8:23 p.m.

He was a brilliant marketing guy. Got things done. Excelled fabulously at GM in the early sixties at Pontiac, although, despite his successes there, wasn't appreciated by upper management. However, he had some demons within him, which ultimately led to his demise. Interesting take on him by Bob Lutz in the current issue of R&T. (I know that some here don't like Lutz. But I think Lutz was one of the most successful "movers and shakers" of the industry in the past fifty years, and I accept his judgement). I'll have to watch the movie.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/15/19 8:59 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Available on Netflix? Sounds interesting.

We were going to go to our local theater to watch, but it was on Xfinity on demand.  Funny enough, it was part of the film festival a month ago, but we had so much to watch, we missed it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M3nL8ruGKxrb8xIHANpNGCsXwRjGD5HsNucI1dsqTCc6jiM0MtR2bAYtu2lmxIOJ