1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/23/22 5:27 p.m.

I've always had a great relationship with SpaghettiOs.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/23/22 5:40 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

The revolutionary war was kind of a while ago. World politics change a lot.

By the metrics you suggested, we should be bitter rivals with England, but instead we're each others closest allies. Of course, England would have a tough time keeping up rivalries with every former colony that decided to give them the boot.

I mean... WW2 was only 80 years ago, and we're not only buddies with Germany, but have spent decades making noises asking them to build their military up.

I wasn't suggesting that as a metric, just giving the early history as well as I understood it, and then, like I said, there is a black spot. I don't know what happened during the next hundred years. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
2/23/23 9:52 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I'm pretty sure we alienated a lot of the French in 1965, when we introduced SpaghettiO's in a can under the Franco American brand.

https://groovyhistory.com/spaghettios-invented-1965-campbells-franco-american

Came here for canned noodles, glad I'm not the only one who remembers. I kind of liked them.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/23/23 10:26 a.m.
tuna55 said:

I wasn't suggesting that as a metric, just giving the early history as well as I understood it, and then, like I said, there is a black spot. I don't know what happened during the next hundred years. 

Vietnam War | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

CIA in South America | Geopolitical Monitor

CIA activities in Nicaragua - Wikipedia

Afghan mujahideen Stinger missile Afghanistan

Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn Fast Facts | CNN

Pollution | Definition, History, Types, & Facts | Britannica

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/23/23 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Dennis_Ortega :

OK, that there has GOT to be a chatGTP style "ai" reply!!   (First post)

I also think using AI for those things is a bit inappropriate, they seem to be more of a guided, verbose google search, not much "intelligence" involved really.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
2/23/23 11:22 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I had exactly the same thought, so I ran it through GPTZero. This was the result: Your text is likely to be written entirely by AI

I expect this sort of thing to explode in coming months.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/23/23 12:22 p.m.

It's complicated. 

There are a lot of complex things that go into a relationship that has dated back to the Revolutionary War, of course. But in the past 100-120 years, which I would consider to be "recent history", there's a lot there. Starting with WWI, we entered the war late on the side of England and France after basically finding good excuses to enter the war, including German unrestricted sub warfare and intercepting a German message to Mexico about having them fight the US if they got involved with the war. That seemed to be the foundation of our relationship with both of those countries for decades to come.

Once WWII broke out in Europe and the Nazis overran France, the US did not react right away. Instead, our isolationist view remained and shipped goods (and weapons) to Great Britain instead while remaining "neutral". As we all know, we eventually did get involved with the liberation of France, but not before recognizing the Nazi-sympathizing Vichy France regime, even sending an ambassador there. That of course dissolved when the Nazis decided to just take over the whole country and run the show, and we invaded/bombed/etc. We did help after the war with reconstruction, which improved relations. Then came the UN, NATO, nukes, and threats of Soviet Russia during the Cold War. Our relationship was solid, but not without small hiccups (environmental policies, changing of political regimes over the years, opposing the 2003 invasion of Iraq and the whole Freedom Fries thing, etc.) 

Today, I feel the relationship is still there, and it's fine. There's of course A LOT going on right now, with Ukraine/Russia, far end of the spectrum political ideologies taking hold, and groups stirring the pot all over the globe trying to start trouble and promote instability. I think it will endure, as long as Democracy does. And that's a question for another thread/time that we probably shouldn't touch. 

If you want to talk about a wild relationship, check out Francophone/Anglophone relations in Canada. Now THAT is a tenuous relationship. Somehow, I spent two college courses studying that one, and in a nutshell, they don't like each other. Resentment for past indiscretions and events that happened 200+ years ago (ahem.. Acadian Expulsion to Louisiana) are still very much active, and every so often Quebec tries to secede from the rest of Canada. They have been actively trying to do that for about 40 years now, and it has been defeated every time it comes to vote. The Canada national position is pretty much "Hey, if you want to, go for it. But I bet you won't!".

And they haven't. Yet. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/23/23 12:30 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Today, I feel the relationship is still there, and it's fine. There's of course A LOT going on right now, with Ukraine/Russia, far end of the spectrum political ideologies taking hold, and groups stirring the pot all over the globe trying to start trouble and promote instability. I think it will endure, as long as Democracy does. And that's a question for another thread/time that we probably shouldn't touch. 

This.

The U.S. isn't perfect. We do good things, bad things, selfish things, etc.

France is with us when they see us as doing the right things. France is not too polite to call us on our B.S. when they think we're in the wrong.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/23 1:15 p.m.

well, as long as we've got a thread for racially insensitive food products from the past, who remembers:

La Choy makes Chinese Food...

Swing American!

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
2/23/23 1:34 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Why stop at food?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/24/23 9:40 a.m.
Beer Baron said:
Tony Sestito said:

This.

The U.S. isn't perfect. We do good things, bad things, selfish things, etc.

France is with us when they see us as doing the right things. France is not too polite to call us on our B.S. when they think we're in the wrong.

That's probably fair.

We need spammers to come in now and then to revive cool old threads.

I wish we could get along better. France and the US, not GRM and spammers. I wish the spirit of Lafayette was still with them, and the spirit of our founding was still with us. If you're ever interested, there's a book called Hero of Two Worlds, where the conversations between Lafayette and Washington after the war were really interesting. Essentially, paraphrashing heavily, it was:

L: Great! The war is over and you have won, my friend! Now is the time to abandon slavery and banish that terrible practice forever!

W: Whoa, that's pretty neat. How are you going to do that?

L: I own a plantation on the continent. As of today I am paying the workers a wage. Try it!

W: eh. Hey man, I am glad it's working for you

L: No really, this is the time, the country will be forever crippled if you don't do it now.

W: Nah, it'll be fine.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
2/24/23 10:25 a.m.

Might I suggest that if one were to want to explore an early 19th Century French view of America, there exists in Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America one of the great books on the subject, and indeed on America as both an entity and a concept.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4CqecyvXGh6qrHDHKujN2OCObThDin5EM71u1MTbCOhTyB8FPlTAXCSIkgn8cJ7b