DrBoost
DrBoost New Reader
7/31/08 11:27 a.m.

Good day lads and lassies! (sorry, I have NO IDEA what came over me just there). I'm looking to try my hand at automotive freelance writing for a e-zine, paper rag, or website, don't really care. I'm not doing it to pay the bills, more like a little side money and to have fun. So, how do you suggest I go about it. I did a c-list search and actually have one perspective gig and one used car review gig that is loving my submissions!!! Any other suggestions?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/31/08 11:48 a.m.

I started my own website. I didn't get much done with it because I got side-tracked with other projects. My underlying motivation was to have it serve as an online portfolio of my writing. Any article you write should be able to go there, depending on what rights to your writing you give to whoever publishes it.

If you'd like to check out what I did (or started to do) the site is still up at: www.sacautoscene.com

PM me if you're interested in using some of the web layout or format from it. It uses ExpressionEngine as a backend for content management.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/1/08 7:32 a.m.

DrBoost, I was offered a "position" at The Truth About Cars, awhile back, but passed. All they were looking for (at the time?) was material about new cars. I had the "brilliant" idea that I could do something a little bit different from what everyone else was submitting....a sort of automotive Andy Rooney, but the guy who owns the website wasn't thrilled with that idea. Soon after they went the subscription route, so maybe they even pay for submitted/posted material.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/1/08 4:33 p.m.

TTAC is a great site. I wish they would allow 'used' car reviews more, though I have seen them publish a few (the Alfa Spider was recently 'tested'). I think it would draw in a bit more readers, but hey, I ain't in charge over there.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/08 2:00 a.m.

I would liove to get into the auto writing field, mostly so those fat cats in Detroit, (or Munich, or Tokyo, or New Dehli, I'm not too picky) will start sending me trinkets to sway my opinion. Unfortuneately my wife says the four people who find me humorous probably get enough of my ramblings here and wouldn't pay extra for it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1wFq7wQAb3gtN1e2nJh4wAI61R62iz0yDSKUShqq3STRoISkfvYkpA825FuJVxMF