1 2
Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/23/23 3:08 p.m.

Cheese toast. There's almost no way to make bad cheese toast. The refrigerator and the pantry is your oyster.

Check out the Facebook group "Cheese Toast Love" for inspiration. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/23/23 4:16 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I cannot claim to have grown up scratching in the dirt for dinner, but I'm gonna echo Floating Doc's comment about don't waste food. My wife and I generate almost no food trash, it all gets eaten or used for something. Not because we're necessarily trying to save every penny but because neither of us like the idea of throwing away food

It's the same in our house, but since there's only two of us, it requires planning, or a freezer.

I get a turkey from work every year at Christmas. We don't eat turkey at Christmas, so sometimes I donate it, or sometimes, like we did this week, we'll cook it up with a plan.

Monday we had roast turkey with all the usual stuff.

Tuesday we had the kids over for club sandwiches and fries.

Wednesday we ate out and today we had hot turkeys with fries and gravy, the veg was sweet corn we'd cut off some leftover cobs last fall and froze.

I'm working this weekend so taking turkey salad sandwiches every day, and Saturday PW is making soup from the carcass for us to have Tuesday.

We do this with a lot of meals

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 4:44 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

There are only two of us as well. In the case of something like a big turkey, we have one of those Food Saver vacuum sealers. Slice up what you're not going to use, freeze it and it's ready for later. The vacuum sealer keeps it really well. No different than the leftover jars that Hungary Bill suggested, but a little more space-efficient. We'll also grab certain seasonal foods and store them for non-seasonal times, especially since my in-laws have a significant garden. We will be swimming in (name a vegetable or fruit) for a short period, so it's freezing/canning time when that happens. Like your sweet corn.

Our biggest problem is forgetting what's in there.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 4:47 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Cheese toast. There's almost no way to make bad cheese toast. The refrigerator and the pantry is your oyster.

Check out the Facebook group "Cheese Toast Love" for inspiration. 

My grandmother had 24 (I think) grandchildren. When there was a big family gathering, she'd make fresh buns from scratch (similar to the Hawaiian sweet rolls you see today), slice them in half, put cheddar cheese (from the dairy down the road) on them and toast them in the oven. Grandma's cheese buns were a highlight of visiting, and they sure wouldn't have been expensive. She was running a farming household during the great depression so everything she cooked was frugal.

Man, now I want cheese buns.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/23/23 4:49 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Our biggest problem is forgetting what's in there.

Which is why we try to eat it all right away. That problem doesn't exactly go away as you get older

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B3MHRonqoLjYrkcxLBqYqnJ8MAXVCpvl9vU9sP0gHR7wiCt7eBeQK20aEKoSN0Rq