jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
11/9/08 7:53 p.m.

What I find most amazing is that under that skin is a '84 Dodge Colt Turbo with the "twin stick"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-BUMPER-CAR-FULL-SIZE-COLT-TURBO-DUEL-RANGE-4-SPEED_W0QQitemZ110309366485QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6472QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/9/08 10:52 p.m.

Might as well, I mean look at the amount of hit-and-run damage on my cars.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/9/08 11:32 p.m.

MUST HAVE!!!!

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/10/08 8:51 a.m.

Someone needs to start a group buy

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
11/10/08 9:29 a.m.

Combine it with a high-MPG hybrid or electric engine, and it might be the perfect commuter car.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/10/08 9:46 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Combine it with a high-MPG hybrid or electric engine, and it might be the perfect commuter car.

bumper car an insite?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/10/08 11:58 a.m.

What it needs is really HUGE turn signals. With big blinkers and bumper car bumpers all around EVERYONE would clear you space for lane changes.

jl1rp
jl1rp New Reader
11/10/08 1:33 p.m.

It's just what you need for Nw York city driving.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
11/10/08 1:58 p.m.

Do I smell a challenge theme?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
11/10/08 2:40 p.m.

Poor Colt turbo......

I morn the loss....

Now, what about this group buy?

-Rob

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/10/08 6:04 p.m.

I spent part of this weekend on the carnival rides.

I wonder if they managed to get the steering to do the same thing- when you turn all the way to the lock, it goes in reverse the opposite way!

OK, now someone explain to me this dual range 4 spd manual trans (that means 8 speeds). What it got a secondary transfer case? An electric reduction gear? Is this standard on the Colts?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/08 9:08 p.m.

Bump.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/10/08 9:18 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I spent part of this weekend on the carnival rides. I wonder if they managed to get the steering to do the same thing- when you turn all the way to the lock, it goes in reverse the opposite way! OK, now someone explain to me this dual range 4 spd manual trans (that means 8 speeds). What it got a secondary transfer case? An electric reduction gear? Is this standard on the Colts?

I couldn't tell you the point of the two speed transfer case-but I can tell you when you are 16yo you think team shifting through all 8 gears with the passenger handling the transfer case is a hilarious way to street race.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
11/11/08 6:08 a.m.

Lousy pic, but... Twin Stick Just to the driver's side of the main shifter is the second stick. It only moves one notch fore/aft and IIRC is labelled "economy" and something else ("power"?). It's essentially like having a two speed rear axle or diff in a big truck, or an overdrive that operates on all gears. A useful fuel saving gimmick that worked flawlessly, from what little I know. I drove one once or twice, and it was amusing yet functional. The fwd Colt wasn't a bad little car, even if it was a Mitsubishi.

Helterskelter
Helterskelter Reader
11/11/08 6:46 a.m.

The saddest part is someone probably spent a lot of time building that thing...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/08 7:04 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Lousy pic, but... Twin Stick Just to the driver's side of the main shifter is the second stick. It only moves one notch fore/aft and IIRC is labelled "economy" and something else ("power"?). It's essentially like having a two speed rear axle or diff in a big truck, or an overdrive that operates on all gears. A useful fuel saving gimmick that worked flawlessly, from what little I know. I drove one once or twice, and it was amusing yet functional. The fwd Colt wasn't a bad little car, even if it was a Mitsubishi.

Can you change ranges while moving? Of course it would require a rev match, but most transfer cases don't have synchros and wouldn't pretend to put up with a rolling shift for a second.

Also I think this vehicle makes a good statement about the automotive world and the way people drive - it would have been best if it was based on a brand new car.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/11/08 9:09 a.m.

When I was a teenager, the local mechanic had one of those as a loaner....my god was it fun.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/11/08 11:16 a.m.

You can definitely change from low to high while moving. We tried to make the car faster by using it as an 8 speed box!

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/08 11:28 a.m.

Yep, mom had an 84 Colt with the twin-stick. Fun car.

She used to race along twisty highway roads when she lived at the beach (hey she used to drive my brothers and I around in various Sprites and MG's) Typically she would upshift or downshift between corners using the dual-range stick. Made a funny whirring noise when she moved the lever due to the spring attached to it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gLsF51opctDb5ogRpKv57NLmxPjKSGYaJlqWH9zRS4k0tagSL66Q5R49XSLAJUMU