1 2 3 4
wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
6/10/11 2:56 p.m.

it would have to be dead nuts flush against the house before I'd resort to any thing other than gasoline and fire.... I've done it the middle of a garden (against the advice of our landscaper and it did nothing to the surrounding plants) the gas soaks into every tiny bit of the nest and it actually burns for a long long time... the initial flair is nice.. but after that it's just a steady small flame that burns for 10 - 15 min (I use ~ a pint or pint and a half) ... have never had to redo.... as opposed to multiple tries with bug killer

on a related note... I see ads for yard treatments to keep out fire ants.. is there any treatment that anyone knows of to keep the yellow jackets from nesting in a yard ? ( I usually get 1 - 3 - 5 per yr somewhere in my yards)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/10/11 3:11 p.m.
failboat wrote: I seem to recall a previous thread on a similar topic, someone suggested putting a strainer (like from your kitchen) over the hole, then apply copious amounts of bug killer.

Si. I dropped a colander on top of the hole and then brought my vengence down upon them.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
6/10/11 3:12 p.m.

You could try to get one of these. It goes after bees about 1:15 into the film. Warning adult language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/11 3:13 p.m.

Don't forget the furious anger. It definitely adds something.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/10/11 3:18 p.m.

Well, the ones I have are either bumble bees or digger bees. I can't tell the difference in the pics online from teh gogglez. They're fuzzy and yellow and I don't think they were giant sized. I'm gonna say digger bees so I can ignore them.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
6/10/11 3:27 p.m.

Do wasps make honey?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
6/10/11 3:48 p.m.

Done in many a nest with my tiger torch and a 20lb propane tank.

Fire cleanses all, it's in the bible.

I've found that even if a few escape, when they come at you, just waving the flame belching torch at them burns their wings off and they head for the dirt. Then it's a quick visit from Dr. Foot.

Shawn

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/10/11 3:54 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Do wasps make honey?

I lawl'd uncontrollably.

VividRacing
VividRacing New Reader
6/10/11 3:54 p.m.

Pellet gun, plenty of ammo, a free day and a case of PBR

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
6/10/11 4:04 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Well, the ones I have are either bumble bees or digger bees. I can't tell the difference in the pics online from teh gogglez. They're fuzzy and yellow and I don't think they were giant sized. I'm gonna say digger bees so I can ignore them.

I've also heard of people talking about "ground wasps", but they don't know what they are talking about. I think they are referring to Cicada killers, which are huge wasps. Pretty sure they are solitary.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
6/10/11 4:17 p.m.

Avoid all the chemical warfare and fire risk.

Liquid nitrogen is the silent killer here. Get a tank for $20 at the local welding supply store. Spray copiously.

Instant frozen death.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/10/11 4:18 p.m.
chaparral wrote: Avoid all the chemical warfare and fire risk. Liquid nitrogen is the silent killer here. Get a tank for $20 at the local welding supply store. Spray copiously. Instant frozen death.

Um. That's awesome.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
6/10/11 4:21 p.m.

I had some wasps build a nest in the legs of my BBQ once. Since the BBQ was on my porch and the nest was fairly low on the legs, I ruled out burning them with fire.

I wasn't too keen on using knarley smelling bug killer on them either since it was the sacred grill used for cooking delicious meats.

I ended up using a "natural" "mint based" wasp killer I found a at the local orchard supply hardware store.

It did a pretty good job.

EastCoastMojo
6/10/11 4:34 p.m.

Instant Minty Death. I remember another thread about that stuff.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
6/10/11 4:40 p.m.
chaparral wrote: Avoid all the chemical warfare and fire risk. Liquid nitrogen is the silent killer here. Get a tank for $20 at the local welding supply store. Spray copiously. Instant frozen death.

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/10/11 4:53 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Maroon92 wrote: Do wasps make honey?
I lawl'd uncontrollably.

yurp!same

how's abouts a quater stick? half stick?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
6/11/11 7:23 a.m.

Okay, so I went out there about an hour after dark and there was no activity at the nest. I shook my can of Wasp and Hornet killer and took a position right next to the hole. I held the nozzle of the can about two inches from the hole and let 'er rip. It took several seconds of full blast spray to fill whatever cavity lay beneath. No response from the yellow jackets. I repeated the process, then for good measure, emptied the little bit that remained in the can.

I don't see any activity at the nest this morning. Could it be this easy? I think I'll dig up the nest today and see what it looks like.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
6/11/11 10:34 a.m.

Just finished excavating the nest. It was about the size of a softball, but it was loaded with dead jackets and lots and lots of larvae. I kinda dissected it. Found a larger jacket I presume was the queen. Fascinating. I'll post up some pics later.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/11/11 10:37 a.m.
I'll post up some pics later.

It's later!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/11 10:51 a.m.

it's definatly later now!

dogbreath
dogbreath Reader
6/11/11 12:01 p.m.

I use 10:1 water/dish soap to kill bees, hornets, wasps, and the massive colonies of argiope spiders that coat the back wall of my house with webs and dead things they didn't want.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/11 2:08 p.m.

is it later yet?

EastCoastMojo
6/11/11 2:56 p.m.

It is absolutely later here. I would love to see some pics of it all dug up and partially dissected. How deep was the nest?

JohnGalt
JohnGalt Reader
6/11/11 3:30 p.m.

Oh the joys of finding such a nest with a brush saw. You are just minding my own business and laying into some bushes when suddenly PAIN EVERYWHERE. They died a horrible/wonderful fiery death gasoline.

fasted58
fasted58 HalfDork
6/11/11 3:40 p.m.

one funny bee

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eu3rNYjsIgJLAIf5u3ohj2cUKH0TqleoLXE5RBlfafNnJEY1GuBdBP3ENk3PvtS3