From Newstados Unidos

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/09 7:49 a.m.

LOL!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/29/09 11:31 a.m.

When my 8 year old saw my most recent Challenge car, he said, "Dad, it doesn't have any wheels. THAT should be good for DRAG racing!"

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/29/09 9:16 p.m.

LMAO

arren
arren New Reader
10/29/09 11:16 p.m.

Hello to all

Drag racing is a competition in which vehicles compete to be the first to cross a set finish line, usually from a standing start, and in a straight line. First gaining popularity in the USA after World War II (1945), the sport steadily grew in popularity and spread across the globe. By 2009, there were hundreds of dragstrips in operation, mainly in developed countries.

Most drag races begin with a standing (stationary) start and are just 1/4 mile long (1320 feet). Races last between 3.9 and 17 seconds, with finishing speeds ranging from 80 to over 330 miles per hour (530 km/h), depending upon the type of vehicle being used.

thanks for sharing

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
10/29/09 11:50 p.m.

This new guy is much stranger than most. Think it's a search engine, or just a canoe?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/30/09 9:00 a.m.

Sooo... if you go over 17 seconds, then you're not racing?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/30/09 9:00 a.m.

Definitely draggin a canoe!

All 18 of his posts begin "Hello to all..."

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/30/09 9:03 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Sooo... if you go over 17 seconds, then you're not racing?

My tandem bicycle pass was 42 seconds, and we beat a car! We might not have been racing against Andy, maybe we were just racing our wway to the emergency room, but still...

There were several Challengers this year that didn't break 17 seconds. I'm gonna say they were racing. Kinda slowly, but racing.

GameboyRMH
10/30/09 9:04 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Sooo... if you go over 17 seconds, then you're not racing?

Sounds about right, in practice

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
10/30/09 9:18 a.m.

Wildly off topic, but it is pretty widely acknowledged in the sailing community that anytime two sailboats are traveling in roughly the same direction - they're racing.

Sometimes only at 4 knots, but they're both trying to pull ahead of the other boat.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/30/09 9:21 a.m.

The crappy civic vs. the Boss Hong race from a few years ago was classic. One car was never more that two feet ahead or behind the other car, both giving it all they've got, and both finishing somewhere in the 20 second neighborhood. Closest race I'd seen in a long time.

GameboyRMH
10/30/09 9:28 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: Wildly off topic, but it is pretty widely acknowledged in the sailing community that anytime two sailboats are traveling in roughly the same direction - they're racing. Sometimes only at 4 knots, but they're both trying to pull ahead of the other boat.

Reminds me of the totally legal street race I got into the other day. My Samurai vs a Yamaha RX-Z We were both squeezing every ounce of power from our vehicles Of course when the sammy's acceleration started to die off at about 70kph the Yamaha pulled away...

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
10/30/09 10:21 a.m.

Hmmmm.... they don't "look" like illegals...

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/30/09 10:46 a.m.

If it was illegal then why is the cop just standing there?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/09 11:03 a.m.
Kia_racer wrote: If it was illegal then why is the cop just standing there?

It's not illegal until they start to accelerate.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/30/09 11:32 a.m.

I don't think there is enough information in the picture for us to determine if he is on duty or another "participant"

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/30/09 11:32 a.m.
aircooled wrote: Hmmmm.... they don't "look" like illegals...

THAT could be debatable!

andrave
andrave HalfDork
10/30/09 12:15 p.m.

a friend of mine was cited for street racing and the cop wrote on the ticket that they were both traveling under the speed limit. The MV code specifically says you don't have to be speeding to be cited for street racing.

So there is no "perfectly legal" street racing.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/09 12:16 p.m.

A friend of mine once picked up a ticket for street racing years ago. He was in his Series Land Rover and he was up against a Beetle. Think of the danger and the reckless speeds!

I tried drag racing in my Mini. 18.6 @73 mph. I don't see what all the excitement is about On my first pass as I rocketed (okay, eased) off the line, I realized nobody had told me how to tell when I got to the end, or where to go after that. See, it had been a while since they'd painted the lines on the strip, and it's awful dark out in the desert. I just watched the 17.8 second Miata running beside me and lifted when he did and followed him back to the pits. I'm probably the only drag racer who's ever needed a map of the course.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/09 12:25 p.m.

HA ha, Canadians are funny.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
10/30/09 3:16 p.m.

He doesn't have his radar gun, and we all know cops don't/can't do crap without a radar gun. No REAL law enforcement happens with uniformed cops, just taxes levied.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/09 4:50 p.m.

they do that regularly in key west.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
10/30/09 6:10 p.m.
Keith wrote: A friend of mine once picked up a ticket for street racing years ago. He was in his Series Land Rover and he was up against a Beetle. Think of the danger and the reckless speeds! I tried drag racing in my Mini. 18.6 @73 mph. I don't see what all the excitement is about On my first pass as I rocketed (okay, eased) off the line, I realized nobody had told me how to tell when I got to the end, or where to go after that. See, it had been a while since they'd painted the lines on the strip, and it's awful dark out in the desert. I just watched the 17.8 second Miata running beside me and lifted when he did and followed him back to the pits. I'm probably the only drag racer who's ever needed a map of the course.

Somebody here has a signature that says "I tried drag racing, but I kept missing the apex for turn 1". It kind of fits what you're saying, Keith.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
10/30/09 6:19 p.m.

Hello to all

Low-budget drag racing is a competition in which vehicles compete to be the first to cross a set finish line (or to see who can get the closest to finishing before both break down), usually from a standing start, and usually in a squiggley line towards and away from a very hard wall which is placed obscenely close to the racing surface.

Most drag races begin with a standing (WHEELIE) start and are just 1/4 mile long (1320 feet), but for most of us, they are often much, much less depending on the reliability of the particular year of crapbox that some people consider a race car. Races last between 15 and 35 seconds, with finishing speeds ranging from close to 80 miles per hour, all the way up to just a tad over 80 miles per hour... sometimes, much less depending on how fast the tow truck can pull the car down the track.

Much beer is usually consumed after the event. Also, much beer is usually consumed during and before the event.

Thanks, me, for sharing.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wXR85ELsgNRM05vrZ8pAFyjDJhVJ0WsfCMpbaaNWAlmIyr5pDrktuCAVWP1RppX9