1 2 3
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/9/20 12:52 p.m.

Noticed the yet-another bacon wrapper in the trash when I tossed my lunch scraps in there, and had a flashback to my pre-pandemic habit of taking a newly purchased pound of bacon out of the package and freezing the separated strips in ziploc bags so I could take individual servings out and cook when ready, because--get this--we would never finish a whole package of bacon before it went bad.  

This would probably also work in the "virus perks" thread, come to think of it.

Margie

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/9/20 1:05 p.m.

You mean funny things like not defaulting to eating when you're bored? Am I the only one? Where the hell did this twinkie come from?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/9/20 1:09 p.m.

I swear it came outta nowhere! A golden sponge from heaven 

Oh, and we’ve had the exact same experience with bacon. I’d be surprised if we’ve gone through 3lbs of bacon in the past 3 years. If we have any this weekend, we will be at 3lbs since this started. 

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/9/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

You say that like it's a bad thing... LOL.  

Marjorie Suddard
4/9/20 1:15 p.m.

Damn. I have no Twinkies.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/9/20 1:17 p.m.

Im out of broccoli and cheese.

And baked beans. 

And spaghettios and meatballs 

And bratwurst. 

And.....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/20 1:29 p.m.

I haven't found myself eating out of boredom through all this, though I certainly did right up to the point when the virus and hoarding hit the area, but I have noticed that we absolutely do not throw out leftovers anymore. I don't care if I liked it or not, I'm having it for lunch the next day. I ate cold, cooked green beans for lunch at the firehouse last week.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog HalfDork
4/9/20 1:32 p.m.

Used to be we worried about getting cooties off of the raw chicken during BBQ. That was the extent of overt sanitization.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/9/20 1:32 p.m.

E36 M3, I've lost 5 lbs. Crippling depression FTW!

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/9/20 1:45 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Pfft, amateur.  My house (2-4 teenagers at any given time) goes through 3 lbs of bacon every week.  Effing ridiculous, but oh so tasty.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/9/20 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Cook the bacon first (I bake it on a pan with a wire rack) & then freeze it. It can all go in one bag. Pull out what you want & nuke it for 20-30 seconds per side. At least that's how I roll with bacon. I do get the really thick Kirkland brand at Costco & cook 2 or 4 lbs in a day.

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson Reader
4/9/20 2:06 p.m.

I haven't eaten out of boredom while wfh, but I sure am tearing up the coffee.  

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/9/20 2:06 p.m.

I asked my husband if we needed any bacon and he said no, we have two packs. I said, so we're almost out of bacon I'll get some more.

eastpark
eastpark Reader
4/9/20 2:09 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Cook the bacon first (I bake it on a pan with a wire rack) & then freeze it. It can all go in one bag. Pull out what you want & nuke it for 20-30 seconds per side. At least that's how I roll with bacon. I do get the really thick Kirkland brand at Costco & cook 2 or 4 lbs in a day.

Yup, that's our method as well. I'll cook a few pounds, so it's easier to clean up and then it's easy-access bacon, 24/7. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/9/20 2:10 p.m.

We used to bring in groceries from the store without ever worrying about who may have sneezed or coughed on them.  Ha!

P.S. -- How the heck do you disinfect cilantro without cooking it?

Marjorie Suddard
4/9/20 2:11 p.m.

Nooo, cooking bacon a couple mornings a week is part of my new routine. I loves it so.

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/9/20 2:38 p.m.
nderwater said:

Just throw it directly into the trash where it belongs.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/9/20 2:43 p.m.
Powar (Forum Supporter) said:
nderwater said:

Aw, heck.  Here we go.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/9/20 2:50 p.m.
nderwater said:

Never eat anything that I've prepared if it is remotely resembles Mexican food.

On a related note, you wouldn't happen to have Ashkenazi Jewish anecestry, would you?

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/20 2:52 p.m.

I used to go to the gym (really). Now I'm walking in circles around my house, doing push ups in the bedroom, using a few gallon paint cans filled with dirt as a dumb bell, doing squats using a log from a tree and using the pull up bar in the hallway. 

We were also fond of somewhere for the heck of it- like to a park or going out for ice cream on a whim. That's what everybody in the house seems to miss the most- just being able to go do something without worrying about it.

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/9/20 2:55 p.m.
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) said:

I asked my husband if we needed any bacon and he said no, we have two packs. I said, so we're almost out of bacon I'll get some more.

I hope your husband realizes what a lucky man he is.  Awesome!

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/9/20 3:12 p.m.

In the before times I used to go to places called racetracks with lots of friends and we would drive cars in competition during the day, and then eat and drink and wrench together at night.   It all seems like so long ago...

No Time
No Time Dork
4/9/20 3:13 p.m.

If your going to make bacon, you need to switch it up for variety. 

Place it on a baking pan with a wire rack, sprinkle with a generously with pepper, and then coat with light brown sugar. Bake until desired crispness and the sugar is caramelized. (If you're watching sugar content, use Swerve Brown Sugar).

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/9/20 3:14 p.m.
nderwater said:

We used to bring in groceries from the store without ever worrying about who may have sneezed or coughed on them.  Ha!

Rinse in food grade hydrogen peroxide

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/9/20 3:18 p.m.
mtn said:
nderwater said:

Never eat anything that I've prepared if it is remotely resembles Mexican food.

On a related note, you wouldn't happen to have Ashkenazi Jewish anecestry, would you?

Not that I know of, but I do realize this is a genetic trait and not necessarily one of taste. I enjoy poking the cilantro bear whenever this comes up since, to me, it ruins anything it touches.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
69MoOB7gt5BFfJzGKwKQzrwtYwrV2GiQQu2IZjzgehnIJS0twVxRwITcLDnZhet4