1 2 3
Ransom (Forum Supporter)
Ransom (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/10/20 3:36 p.m.

I'm so relieved I'm not alone in experiencing this bacon phenomenon.

Usually I divide a 1-lb package into several 2-slice-ish packets in cling film.

Yesterday I realized that I hadn't gotten around to subdividing the 2 pounds I got from the grocery store a few days ago, and probably won't need to bother.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/10/20 3:50 p.m.
z31maniac said:

And then you can save all the lovely bacon fat to cook with!

My mom was all healthy - never a salt shaker on the table.  Always a salad & veggies with dinner.  Bland cooking is how my wife described it. 

I start dating her and I notice some old coffee percolator thing on the stove at her moms house. What's that?  It's how we save our bacon grease.  For what? Flavoring green beans when cooking - other stuff too.  

I was shocked.  These people melted sticks of butter to pour over popcorn AND they salted their salads.  Mind blown back in 1982.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/10/20 7:28 p.m.

I just annihilated a Costco sized thing of fresh dill pickle spears in two days... 

Haven't dipped into the bacon yet, we have some from a local farm. Good locally raised stuff.  Mmm blt sounds nice.

On the topic of the thread, I would ride a bus over an hour each way to go to a building and do the same work I am doing at home now.  That said, work would be a lot easier with multitasking caring for a toddler 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/20 10:15 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My mom was all healthy - never a salt shaker on the table.  

This always makes me quirk an eyebrow. Salt is an essential mineral, it isn't just healthy, it's obligatory. Moderation is essential, obviously, but that's easy to do if you cook at home.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/10/20 10:27 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

She added salt during cooking but never allowed us to add more (6 kids - all crazy)

the sibling (a twin) just older than me decided to eat all the salt in the bottom of the pretzel bag when we were kids then she threw up all over.  

She'll be 61 years old this year and I still bring it up to her once in a while as an awesome childhood memory of mine.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9iE3DtfVYZW39cul2epFAuwCR1PF8QtpyCAg7yn2t1WPlfIGf607M8xUmmscxkUU