1 2 3
Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/27/18 10:17 a.m.

As mentioned in my NATO strap thread, my next step of my watch addiction should be a seiko 5. Boredom and eBay had me looking at listings with minutes to go with ~$10 bids. With only a cursory glance at the item itself I sniped a 70s gold face 5 for $15. 

With shipping from India I should have it in 2-6 weeks. I accept the “Buyer beware” aspect of the purchase but I’m comfortable with the $15 gamble. Fingers crossed. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
9/27/18 1:03 p.m.

Looks to be a Seiko 6309 movement, which puts it at late 70's early 80's. Looks pretty clean too which is a good thing.

That movement is an accurate tank which almost anyone can service. Enjoy it.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
9/28/18 5:28 p.m.

First off super cool vintage Seiko 5. I really like the gold face on the stainless case and band. 

Second, I saw the other thread posted about possible fake from India. So I checked out the ebay and sure enough tons of vintage watches from India. There can't be any money in faking a used Seiko is there? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/18 5:32 p.m.

Maybe they were faked when new, and now they're used?

I dig it, fake or not.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/28/18 10:41 p.m.

It probably isnt a fake but I am almost guarantee it is either a repainted dial or frankenwatch (watch made of a random combo of parts) or both. Also the servicing on some of the movements out of India is questionable. But for $15 whatever have fun. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/10/18 2:39 p.m.

To my surprise it arrived on the earliest estimated delivery day. I guess movement in shipping was enough to keep it going as it was still ticking. Unfortunately the band is an inch too short so I can’t actually wear it until I get a new band. It looks to be a 19mm as it is in between my 18 and 20 bands. 

One bit that had me confused was the bilingual weekday readout. But a little research shows to just set it to your desired language. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/10/18 2:47 p.m.

Here it is with the too small band removed next to my DD Timex. Now to let it run to see how it keeps time. I will be giving it movement to keep it going. 

Next is picking a new strap. I doubt I will use a nato on this as the selection in 19 is lacking compared to 20. It had a jubilee style bracelet and I think I will try so get one of those. Also an option is black leather. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/18 9:06 p.m.

Happy Seiko 5 fan here. Good buy. Congrats. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/16/18 7:02 p.m.

I haven’t had any luck finding a good 19mm band locally. Wife just ordered me a  Milanese loop from amazon. Super stoked. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/18 7:09 p.m.

I've modified a few bands to add a bit of beef to vintage watches. Pick up a 20 or 22 and cut a little notch by the bars. If you do it right, it gives a nice transition to the case and a tapered strap keeps it from looking too bulky. I'm not sure how it would work on that Seiko, but it's an option.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/23/18 8:30 p.m.

I’m finally able to wear it after two weeks. The face is about the same size as my Timex, but overall it is much more svelte. I greatly appreciate the infinite adjustability of the magnet over getting “close enough” with more traditional straps. This is definitely my go to for dressier occasions.   

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/23/18 9:46 p.m.

Nice, hope you get years of service from it.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/24/18 2:08 p.m.

Looks great. I think you band choice complements the vintage feel of the watch

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/2/18 7:02 a.m.

A little over a week in of daily wear and I’m happy with it. It keeps time well and has at least a full day of power reserve. The only issue here is the hour hand is about 1-2 minute marks behind where it should be. 

The lum is mismatched. The hour markings are all but dead, and are a more noticeably green. The hands are fairly strong and more yellow/cream in the light.

While it probably is not all original, I doubt the dial has been touched, and it is seemingly well put together compared to most of the Indian Frankenwatch horror stories I’ve read. 

The band I picked up had been ok although I wouldn’t be surprised if that didn’t survive a year. The counterpoint to the adjustability of the magnet is that it loosens up on its own and I have to re tighten it throughout the day. 

Lastly, it is silent compared to a quartz watch. I have to press it to my ear to hear it. I can hear my Timex tick away from across my bedroom at night. 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
11/2/18 10:18 a.m.

The hands look like they are from a much newer Seiko. They match the ones on my SKX007. The lume on the dial is C3 and the hands have C1. Newer Seikos have very good lume, and the lume on the dial may never have been very strong. 

The hour hand was just put on haphazardly if its not on the hour. It can be fixed if you want to go to the trouble.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/18 2:01 p.m.

I am a big fan of the Seiko Lasalle watches from the early 80. I have a couple and really enjoy wearing them.  

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
11/3/18 8:57 p.m.

Cool. Yeah modern Seiko diver hands. Seiko lume is crazy.  

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/5/18 6:49 a.m.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I’m just going to enjoy it as it is unless I get a trade offer for it from a friend. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/20/18 7:14 p.m.

I can now say that my next wish list item is a vintage Waltham, ideally a 1910s pocket watch. Mostly because at that time my G-Grandfather and his brother worked there. But last time I looked, they tend to command much more than I have disposable. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/2/19 10:22 a.m.

I tried notching a spare leather band and it worked. On the other hand, my collection has grown to the point  that I don’t wear it enough to keep it powered up so I’m working on a trade with my previously mentioned friend. A few clearance rack picks, gifts, and eventually joining Watch Gang has grown my hoard to 9, so time, ha, to start moving things along. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/2/19 10:27 a.m.

Or just start modding that seiko.. :D

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
8/2/19 10:35 a.m.

I'm a Seiko fan as well. My father bought this for me when I graduated HS. 

Great watches, not overly expensive, good looking, and nice functioning.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
8/2/19 11:41 a.m.

And another one is hooked:)

D2W
D2W HalfDork
8/2/19 11:43 a.m.
bluej said:

Or just start modding that seiko.. :D

Be careful. Modding can lead you down an even deeper rabbit hole:O

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/2/19 4:33 p.m.

Well, an hour after I updated, I dropped it and the trim around the day/date window popped off. I don’t want to trade it as is, so I need at least a case back tool to open it up. And if I open it up...

Rabbit hole.

Not conducive to down sizing and settling on a nice Diver and calling it good. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ii0beGYuiZ3Z84xWUxAHMrxOzD7sArNZZUEjfzbR65jdVlamN909zhKUpURDJjvh