1 2 3 ... 14
hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
4/29/22 9:15 a.m.

I know it's a topic that's been beat to death - but did anyone else see a 40c increase in a day??

I know we had some supply issues when the Russia thing started, and then Biden opened up reserves and it started back down. 

Tuesday I paid 3.42/g for reg, last night (Thursday) it was at 3.89 and I was told that change was from Wed-> Thursday

Yall seeing this in your areas? 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/29/22 9:17 a.m.

I just put 20 gallons in the Dodge truck yesterday.  Everything around here is price-fixed at 3.99/gallon.  I haven't seen a move in weeks.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/29/22 9:37 a.m.

About a week ago, $3.48-ish was the low end, near me.  I just checked Gasbuddy app and today is $3.85-ish

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/29/22 9:42 a.m.

Yes,  we had an overnight price jump too.  Gas station across the street is at $3.99 for regular enleaded (~10% Ethanol mix in).

Let's not talk about the cost of Premium. sad

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/29/22 9:59 a.m.

The price delta on Premium gets crazy.  Sam's Club was always my best bet at about a 50c delta.  I just checked and with gas prices up, the Sam's delta is 65c today.  Not uncommon to see 95c deltas.  

I don't miss my cars that required Premium for that reason. 

Cheap swill in a Prius is my game now!  

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/29/22 10:05 a.m.

It went up here but not that much. This is for 93 octane. 

Cheeks
Cheeks New Reader
4/29/22 10:06 a.m.

I paid 4.09 yesterday and its been slowly coming down from 4.29 10 days ago 

thank you PA for having the highest road tax in the country!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/29/22 10:09 a.m.

Russia just stop shipping gas to Poland and another country because they wouldn't pay in Rubles (which is not in the contract).  That may have something to do with it, nervousness about the future.

I just heard yesterday the price had dropped in CA.  it's about 20 cents off the peak now, around $5.80 a gallon (CA of course).  So a no from here so far.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/22 11:30 a.m.
Cheeks said:

I paid 4.09 yesterday and its been slowly coming down from 4.29 10 days ago 

thank you PA for having the highest road tax in the country!

But just look at our beautiful roads and safe bridges (said no one from PA ever)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/29/22 12:25 p.m.

3.99 yesterday evening.  4.09 this morning.  Had to fill up another gas-guzzling old pig. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
4/29/22 12:32 p.m.

There are a few places under $5 in Socal , but most places cheap regular is $5.39 and up

trucke
trucke SuperDork
4/29/22 12:37 p.m.

No changes in Asheville NC today.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/29/22 12:39 p.m.

Just curious if prices are affecting anyones driving habits? I'm aware of the added cost but I can't say I've limited my driving any more than usual. That said, in my car I usually don't do more then 6k/year, wife's car sees the average 12-15k. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/29/22 12:53 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Just curious if prices are affecting anyones driving habits? 

Yes.  Inflation has really hit my budget HARD.

I have a large family and kids in extra- curricular activities.  So a huge chunk of my income goes towards groceries and fuel.  The two items that have seen double digit increases over the last year (way more than the Gov. CPI numbers show).  To combat that, I sold a Jaguar XJR that my wife loved to drive and replaced it with a Prius.  Jaaaaag got 15 miles a gallon on Premium, and the Prius gets low 40's on the cheap stuff.

I've also been driving my car slower (well, accelerating slower) to increase the fuel economy.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/29/22 12:55 p.m.

$1.62cdn per liter for 87 octane this morning.  My only changed habit is that I try to fill my truck when its still at a quarter tank, so it doesn't hit $100.  Missed by $2.00 this morning.  I also understand that it makes no difference at all in the long run, but I'm easily fooled, even by myself.

91 octane is pushing two bucks a liter.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
4/29/22 1:02 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Just curious if prices are affecting anyones driving habits? I'm aware of the added cost but I can't say I've limited my driving any more than usual. That said, in my car I usually don't do more then 6k/year, wife's car sees the average 12-15k. 

My daily is a Ford Fiesta, average over 40mpg city and highway - no, dont curb the driving much, really. 

Even with the MR2, usuing premium, I drive it so rarely that nothign much has changed. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
4/29/22 1:14 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Judging by traffic I'd say no. It doesn't seem to have affected folks so much that their behavior has really changed. People are still buying trucks and SUVs too. 

I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen carmakers rush to import small cars again like in 2007/08. They must not be worried about gas guzzler demand. EVs are great but they're years away from selling enough to put a dent in the fleet MPG, and good luck buying one right now. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/29/22 1:16 p.m.

Inching back up here in N. Florida after inching down for a couple of weeks.  Still some stations under $3.99 but some are just over $4.00. ($4.07 seems to be the next normal)

I just paid $4.15/gal here in central FL. It was $4.19/gal a couple of days ago.

I have the worst berkeleying timing as I bought a 2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV like 3 weeks before Russia invaded Ukraine. I bought it to daily instead of driving my 2010 Kia Forte Koup, which gets 31mpg compared to the Tahoe's 17mpg. The Tahoe has a 26gal tank and $50 worth of gas gets me just under a half tank that lasts only 3 days on my current commute (27 miles each way).

I'm wanting to order a 2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid when the order banks open back up for the 2023MY. I plan on moving in with my girlfriend which will save me at least $2000 a month (my current rent crying) but she lives even further from my work. I'll be driving 40 miles each way every weekday. I could not afford to feed the Tahoe and the Kia is a penalty box on wheels.

Another vehicle I just found out about is the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq Blue Hybrid. Its rated at 58mpg city/60mpg hwy/59mpg combined. I actually just saw one at lunch is the very pretty Intense Blue color. That would make a great commuter.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/29/22 9:09 p.m.

No... been hovering in the low $4 range for the last month or so around me in SE PA.  The two stations I passed today were $4.15 and $4.35 for RUG, although the latter is a grocery store station, so a lot of gas buyers there are getting store-card discounts - which thanks to the high food prices have been substantial. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
4/29/22 11:02 p.m.

4.25 here in MD, and mostly driving the Mazda3, which, thanks to it's sticky new tires that I just put on it, is now getting around 34 mpg instead of 38.  Zoom zoom.

MD did a gas tax holiday that ended a couple Saturdays ago...right before it did we filled up the truck and Mrs VCHs Suburban.  Gas went up 35 cents the very next day. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/22 6:46 a.m.

I didn't bother (intentionally) to check the price yesterday when I bought a tank of shell premium. I don't need premium for that car, but I was combining it with a bottle of Techron, and wanted to max out the fuel system cleaning.

I just passed my Ralliart wagon to my son, and bought an 08 civic coupe with the 1.8/5 speed. The Ralliart got 23-25 MPG on my mostly highway commute. The civic is rated at 29/36. The second tank since I bought it was yesterday, got 33 Mpg. About the last hour of that was running at 80+ mph. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
4/30/22 8:26 a.m.

I've been paying $4.89-4.99 per gallon of diesel in central VA ( I drive a JSW and a Touareg ), my coworker I carpool 100+ miles a day with just texted me there was a big price jump overnight,  he drives a Silverado with a baby Duramax. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/30/22 8:41 a.m.

I get 30 mpg with the Ecoboost Mustang and it still looks like a Mustang. When I first bought it people made fun of me for buying the "four cylinder" Mustang. Not anymore. My Yamaha Zuma scooter gets about 80 mpg and I am actually thinking of riding it to work.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
4/30/22 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I forget the actual production numbers, but when Ford came out with the Mustang in 1964 the 6 cylinder ones far outsold the V8 cars.  Probably for the same reason- you get all the looks without the care and feeding. 

1 2 3 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UhGDOTGKoFrV8tRc76PI6twgSphvRKA3jnrefOYUzoTx1zdb6SoCDNoGhZg6qYTr