Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/9/12 12:08 p.m.

Really MTD, but I sprung for the quieter and way more efficient Honda 5hp motor over the POS B&S.....

Of course it HAS to be a $20 part NO ONE carries in stock. Plus I still need to find a replacement bolt too, which will be a special size that costs another $20....

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB Dork
8/9/12 3:00 p.m.

Your are going to check the runout on the crank, right ? Check the dimensions, I think I have the adapter & bolt... Yours for the cost of shipping from 14580

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
8/9/12 7:27 p.m.

berkeley it man just do what i do wait till later!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/9/12 7:49 p.m.

If I wait much longer on the one part, a 10 month old Cane Corso won't be visible in the mess of weeds.......

I have a local guy looking through his mower junk for one. Just need a fine thread bolt from Tractor Supply. Then drag an extension cord out to the shed and fire up the grinder to get a sharp blade again.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
8/9/12 7:50 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: I sprung for the quieter and way more efficient Honda 5hp motor over the POS B&S.....

I don't get the hate for the Briggs motors. A coworker wanted to buy a John Deere riding mower, but wouldn't because it had a Briggs motor. I don't get it.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
8/9/12 8:32 p.m.

In general, Briggs motors don't last as long as say, a Kohler. Once they hit about 1,000 hours, they are ready for a rebuild. Briggs motors tend to be a little more unbalanced. For the average user, the rest of the machine will fall apart before the engine does, but if you are a good owner, you're going to be replacing a Briggs sooner than anything but a Kohler Courage, which is their budget line. Those should be avoided for those who expect to own the equipment an exceptionally long time or use it hard.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/9/12 8:50 p.m.

After years of having to put up with crappy built B&S, I like the Honda better. I can have this motor running and standing next to it and can hear B&S motors two yards over. Plus this motor runs through crap that would have killed the B&S off many times over and it still is kicking

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
8/9/12 9:11 p.m.

I have a v twin kawasaki in my mower. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing - only about 8 hours on it so far.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/9/12 9:20 p.m.

I push mow my field of weeds, 21" wide cut at a time. Takes a good 7hrs when the grass doesn't tickle my butt.

windsordeluxe
windsordeluxe New Reader
8/9/12 9:49 p.m.

I agree with the observations of the smoothness of the Honda, but I usually run my old 5hp Briggs/MTD push mower that was rescued from a scrap metal pile. It eats carb diaphragms annually, but it was free. The engine was seized at one point, so it has become a challenge to see how long it will last. So far 5yrs. B&S is like the Iron Duke of lawn mower engines.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
8/10/12 8:56 a.m.

I had my briggs mower 7 years before I changed the oil. And A good chunk of that time, there was a leak around the bottom of the dipstick so it ran low on oil most of the time. To top it off, I tweaked a governor spring for more RPM/power so It ran faster than intended too. Then, when I went to refill it, I over filled it and ran it till it burned all the extra oil. All this on a mower that cost $100 retail (which means then engine cot about $25). I think briggs makes a hell of a motor.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0iG6KgVxVpnd2UlPzoO0ZWeJSUuYTXYFYAXHp77N8n9EuQGAXKgfyDBTgR4K5gZU