1 2 3 4 5 6
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/22 5:07 p.m.

I had avoided getting back into RC cars for a while but finally caved this week. I've wanted a semi for some time, but didn't want something Euro or chromed out like some friends have. Through the magic of Amazon there is now a single axle Soviet semi tractor on it's way. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/4/22 6:12 p.m.

That could easily be modified into a Pilothouse Dodge.

I had posted earlier in this thread that I ordered a Grasshopper in an attempt to rekindle some of the joy in RC cars. Typical for myself I had gotten seriously deep into vintage RC10s and it became more of an obsession and less fun. 

I'm happy to say that the Grasshopper did indeed rekindle the fun. I built it bone stock except for upgrading from bushings to bearings and installing a 540 motor in place of the 380 motor. It's a ton of fun. Not too crazy fast. Great run times between recharging.

So much so that I ordered a Tamiya Wild Willy from Tower as my next project. Like the Grassopper, I am just planning on a bearing upgrade and a "Torque Tuned" Tamiya motor. Very modest stuff. Its due delivery tomorrow.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
1/5/22 6:57 p.m.

I received a Losi Mini T 2.0 Brushed to bash around with. Learned really quickly that it's too big for my apartment, so I might return it and keep playing with my Mini Z Overland.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/5/22 7:42 p.m.

In reply to MINIzguy :

There's always the 1/36 scale Micro-T.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/6/22 9:37 a.m.

Stay away from the clearance section at RCMart.  Unimog $150 or $175 painted.

Lunchbox $99

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/6/22 10:25 a.m.

I recently got this one running again, my daughter promptly crashed it and broke the chassis.  New ones are $17, looks like she has a project.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
1/6/22 12:14 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to MINIzguy :

As a heads up, the micro-T is a bad idea if you have furry pets.  The axles load up with pet fur almost instantly...

Loads of teensy fun with a LiPo battery tho.

I am moving out of my work travel apartment and going to be working from home.  I'll make someone a killer deal on a complete RC setup - Associated B5 Team kit buggy, Tekin RS Gen 2 brushless 17.5 motor and controller, Futaba 4PLS radio, IMax B6 charger and LiPo batteries.  Also some spares, car stand and a nice rolling box.  Assembled in 2015 or 2016, used indoors for a couple of years and then sitting since.  In downtown Philadelphia, PA, will drive a bit to meet up.  Looking to shed this by the end of the month.

I'm having fun again. 

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
1/7/22 11:04 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to MINIzguy :

They're NLA new and I'd be worried about parts support due to that too. Running into that issue with my old Mini Z's right now since everybody has moved support to the newer chassis

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/22 1:22 p.m.
glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:

I am moving out of my work travel apartment and going to be working from home.  I'll make someone a killer deal on a complete RC setup - Associated B5 Team kit buggy, Tekin RS Gen 2 brushless 17.5 motor and controller, Futaba 4PLS radio, IMax B6 charger and LiPo batteries.  Also some spares, car stand and a nice rolling box.  Assembled in 2015 or 2016, used indoors for a couple of years and then sitting since.  In downtown Philadelphia, PA, will drive a bit to meet up.  Looking to shed this by the end of the month.

So has this setup been hiding from the wife the whole time in the work apartment?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/7/22 2:31 p.m.

I got these for the kiddos for Christmas:

Yeah they're crap but they were $40/ea with lithium batteries and are actual dual motor 4wd. They're slow but perfect for kids just starting out (mine are 4 and 7) and they'll go over just about anything. They should work in the grass just fine but it's been cold enough to keep 'em inside. Sure are fun though!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/7/22 2:32 p.m.

check out that flex!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/22 4:04 p.m.
adam525i said:

So has this setup been hiding from the wife the whole time in the work apartment?

I want that. I really don't though. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/7/22 4:08 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Lunchbox $99

Thankfully the Lunchbox was gone, because I was about to be $99 lighter.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/7/22 4:19 p.m.

A guy on RC groups found out that one of the guys from Hobbyking started his own battery import company.  Their LiPos are STUPID cheap. The dude seems to give a crap about the quality.

Cheap batteries

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
1/7/22 4:53 p.m.

Going to pm you on this

adam525i said:

LOL, yes but no.  It was to keep me entertained when I was away from my garage and only had a kitchen table as a shop.  Moved from MI to PA and never found a place as convenient as what I had in Detroit and the new job was consuming more time.  Covid changed the game so closing down and have enough projects at the "real" house that I don't want to drag it all there.

Gimp (Forum Supporter) said:
akylekoz said:

Lunchbox $99

Thankfully the Lunchbox was gone, because I was about to be $99 lighter.

RC Mart is awesome but their kit shipping charges are very high. Tower will always beat them bottom line if you include RC Mart shipping.

Follow me here. Tower Hobbies has the Lunchbox in stock and ready to ship at 128 dollars. Orders over $99 get free shipping. so you can have it for 128 total delivered which is way cheaper than RC Mart would ever do. Now, follow me here....if you spend $130 at Tower and use the coupon code "SAVE25" you'll save 25 dollars. So find something at Tower that costs about 1-2 dollars to order along with your Lunchbox, use the code and get the Lunchbox delivered for 105 dollars which is miles cheaper than you'll find anywhere else. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
1/7/22 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Very nice prices, but just wish had Deans/T plug connector option available. For those prices though it would be worth it to swap to needed connector type.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/7/22 6:36 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

Same here, but when I  can get a 1200mah 25c 3cell pack for my Slowstick for $4, it isn't that bad to swap to Deans, or be really cheap and fab an adapter. Sure  theyll be a bit of power loss, but Slow Stick don't care.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/8/22 10:22 a.m.

I need a recommendation for an ESC as they ar called these days.  I’m about to resurrect my old Tamiya Hotshot seems like a god time to upgrade.  It currently has the original multipoint speed control with a servo and heat sinks.  

What is compatible with a 1987 Futaba radio and servo setup?

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/8/22 10:23 a.m.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
1/8/22 3:27 p.m.
adam525i said:

LOL, yes but no.  It was to keep me entertained when I was away from my garage and only had a kitchen table as a shop.  Moved from MI to PA and never found a place as convenient as what I had in Detroit and the new job was consuming more time.  Covid changed the game so closing down and have enough projects at the "real" house that I don't want to drag it all there.

Just checking, did you get an email from me through the forum?

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zFm6Z9A6LorWeSOtNwFu0VudOsY5fkFF4RwplUNxohQqyXgbl1GRg7sd3I0b0mg2