John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/20/19 10:02 a.m.

As you may know, the internet can be a slimy place.  I want to buy replacement brake pads for my 130k miles Prius.  I believe these to be the factory pads still on the car.  Prius are well known to go more that 100k on brake pads due to regen braking.  

If you were buying Genuine Toyota Parts, online, where would you buy them from.  Do you have a Toyota dealer that you trust to have good pricing?  I do not trust my local dealership.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/20/19 11:01 a.m.

I'm interested as well. I have no interest in grinding Vatozone specials to get them to fit the FR-S.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/20/19 11:04 a.m.

any particular reason with sticking to OEM?

Akebono Ceramics are ~$50 from TireRack

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/19 12:06 p.m.

Partznet.com - I've been using them for just under 20 years now. Great prices, reasonable (and fast) shipping, I use them for both Toyota and Honda parts.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/19 1:14 p.m.
John Welsh said:

As you may know, the internet can be a slimy place.  I want to buy replacement brake pads for my 130k miles Prius.  I believe these to be the factory pads still on the car.  Prius are well known to go more that 100k on brake pads due to regen braking. 

Teh RX-7 has about 250k on OEM brake pads on the front, too.  I was kinda shocked when I realized this.

You might be able to get OE pads from NAPA if you insist on Altrom parts.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/20/19 1:30 p.m.

Some dealerships have an online parts presence, often doing business as a different entity.  Google OEM Toyota parts, read reviews, order.  You might be amazed at the pricing available online as opposed to walking into their brick and mortar.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/20/19 1:40 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

any particular reason with sticking to OEM?

Akebono Ceramics are ~$50 from TireRack

Don’t mess with a known good?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/20/19 1:43 p.m.

If you can find a part number then you can often find OEM parts on Amazon for cheaper than elsewhere. Haven't done it with brake pads, but I've ordered a lot of Honda parts that way. 

For instance, I looked up pads for a 2008 because I couldn't remember what year yours way, I put that into Amazon and got this.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/20/19 3:23 p.m.

To answer why Genuine Toyota.  My logic was that genuine have gone 130k, as stated, why mess with a good thing.  I too had found Akebono and Advics via RockAuto that were my target for good aftermarket. With shipping expected to be $50.  I was entertaining the logic that if I could get Genuines for 50% more ($75...thanks Seth) then I could be swayed to go that way.  

However, I wrote this post this morning because I have been figuring I'll need pads soon since I bought this Prius #2 back a little more than a year and 20k miles ago.  Yesterday, I was hearing some metallic noises from the front.  I suspected wear indicators from worn front pads.  Today about Noon I had an appointment to have my winter tires taken off and 4 new summer tires mounted and balanced.  I knew at this time of having all the tires off, I would inspect the now 130k brake pads.  I figured I had be ready to buy so get some GRM advice...

Sure enough, seems like my problem was an occasional rubbing brake heat shield.  The pads still look good.  All around, the car drives and brakes properly.  I was just hyper sensitive to brakes noises because I knew the pads were old at 110k.  It just seem unnatural that they still be okay at 130k.  How long can they go???  

Tires:  another point of Prius love is inexpensive tires in size 185/65/15.  Via Tirebuyer.com I sourced a set of Falken Brand 201's which have a 65k mile rating.  After $40 online rebate, I will have $56 in each tire.  This includes tax and the free shipping.  My local guy charges $15 cash mounted and balanced.  $71 per tire.  I'm happy.  I have these same tires now on P1 and P2.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/20/19 3:49 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I dig that

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
4/20/19 6:10 p.m.

Conicelli Toyota parts (now Partznet) has been great for OEM parts. I bought a ton of miscellaneous stuff for my MR2 from them. 

http://partznet.com/

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
4/21/19 8:43 a.m.

Other thing to watch on the pads is that I have seen pads with plenty of meat separate from the backing plate due to corrosion. Big material abandon caliper on brake application. Always on a car that uses its brakes lightly. Very exciting experiencesurprise

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/19 8:53 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

It can also happen on vehicles that have pads with naturally high metallic content (1-ton trucks) and 80s American cars with way undersized brakes that would cook all the resin out of the pads early in life.  You can usually see the pad material starting to delaminate from the backing plate before it gets too bad.

Haven't seen this kind of failure on a passenger car for a long time, though.  One of the nice things about the infestation of huge wheels is that vehicles are getting large brakes too, so they can have both good brake torque and fairly mild pad compounds.  No more 10" front rotors on V6 Caravans, or 9" rotors on just about anything, leaving about a 1.5" swept area for the pads to work in.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
4/21/19 8:55 a.m.

For my money I would either go to the dealer as you seem happy with the factory parts or  I would buy a set from NAPA get the Adapted One brake pads.

Paul B

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
4/21/19 11:41 a.m.

Tires:  another point of Prius love is inexpensive tires in size 185/65/15.  Via Tirebuyer.com I sourced a set of Falken Brand 201's which have a 65k mile rating.  After $40 online rebate, I will have $56 in each tire.  This includes tax and the free shipping.  My local guy charges $15 cash mounted and balanced.  $71 per tire.  I'm happy.  I have these same tires now on P1 and P2.  

What width rim does your Prius use ? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/21/19 12:03 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Factory 15"x6"  lugs 5x100.  That is standard on all '04-'09 Prius.  There was a somewhat rarer 16"x6 option for the touring package (fully loaded model.)  

These are pics of the 15"ers

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
4/21/19 12:07 p.m.

Akebono was the OEM parts supplier for Toyota for quite some time. If you can figure out who the OEM for the OEM is you can get factory parts for less.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/19 2:00 p.m.

I like camelback Toyota's online parts store for OEM stuff for my 4runner. You have to go through the online studd for the good prices though. Calling them will result in the normal dealership prices. 

einy
einy HalfDork
4/21/19 7:34 p.m.
Johnboyjjb said:

Akebono was the OEM parts supplier for Toyota for quite some time. If you can figure out who the OEM for the OEM is you can get factory parts for less.

Might also be Advics, another major Toyota OEM brake supplier.  

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/21/19 7:52 p.m.

I have placed quite a few orders with Conicelli Toyota and always had good service. 

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
4/22/19 9:45 p.m.

Akebono Euros are my jam, I'd recommend them as a company.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fwx1ZKhn3oyssAdWpe1xa1qKN69X73pbwasyXpqJIiTocMDgSZYsrGOpJ3p99BfF