rickyjohn22
rickyjohn22 New Reader
6/25/20 1:43 p.m.

hey does anyone know anything about the george barris pizza wagon not the purple one but the yellow one ? There's only 1 pic out there and I'm interested and wondering what happened too it ? I just found the poster of all the cars he's built . but it seems to have disappeared. let me know 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/25/20 3:26 p.m.

I love a scavenger hunt! Looks like it was a promo car for the DeFranco Family band. Whereabouts still unknown though.

I looks REALLY close to the Bob Shoonhoven Pizza Wagon though:

But the front end and body sides don't match, nor the front suspension. For a minute it though they were the same car, but I doubt it. Sometimes a show car would get hacked into something new, like the Raiders Coach by Barris started as this:

Ended up like this (a damn crime if you ask me):

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/25/20 3:28 p.m.

The DeFranco family!  I might still have one of their 45's.  

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/25/20 4:17 p.m.

For challenge purposes,  would that be an open car or closed?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/26/20 7:44 a.m.

That style is generally known as a C-Cab. There's a few off the shelf designs out there, although neither of the Pizza Wagons seem to match any of the three kits I've linked to above.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/26/20 8:11 a.m.

Cheebus!  I don't think I realized the Raiders' coach was twin-engined.

I can't imagine how terrifying that thing would have been to drive.

"Hot recording group", the DeFranco Family?  They were about as hot as a cup of coffee and lasted about as long.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/26/20 8:50 a.m.
Duke said:

Cheebus!  I don't think I realized the Raiders' coach was twin-engined.

I can't imagine how terrifying that thing would have been to drive.

"Hot recording group", the DeFranco Family?  They were about as hot as a cup of coffee and lasted about as long.

To me the Raiders Coach was Barris's most masterful creation (and that's saying a lot).

Steering was via hydraulics. The engines were coupled together behind the transmissions via a chain drive to the rear axle. It could drive on one or both motors. Just amazing.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/26/20 9:28 a.m.

I'd be surprised if the Raiders coach was ever driven more than a few feet, many of those kinds of 1960s show cars were basically for display only. 

Many of the early Barris cars built with his brother were masterpieces, but George pretty much lost the plot after about 1958.

johnnyin818
johnnyin818
5/25/21 7:39 a.m.

In reply to rickyjohn22 :i know exactly where its at its sitting in a shop in Van Nuys Ca

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
5/25/21 12:01 p.m.

In reply to johnnyin818 :

the Ford Dealer ?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/21 7:18 p.m.

George Barris was really good at what he did, but what he did was build things for TV shoots and indoor car shows. Most (but not all) of his stuff probably saw very little street time, and once that 60's Autorama scene went away, most of these things were just taking up space and probably just deteriorated and went away. 

There were exceptions of course, like the Batmobile. And a guy near me owned the Villa Riviera for a while. He drove it everywhere, but that car was pretty mild in comparison to some of the crazy stuff. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/27/21 3:20 p.m.

Never noticed the GTO-like grille before. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/27/21 3:37 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Never noticed the GTO-like grille before. 

That's the best part!

johnnyin818
johnnyin818 New Reader
6/5/21 11:55 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :A shop called A Plus Auto Repair

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/5/21 2:16 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

a guy near me owned the Villa Riviera for a while. He drove it everywhere, but that car was pretty mild in comparison to some of the crazy stuff. 

That was one of the last cars he did that looked good, in my opinion (it appeared on an episode of Chasing Classic Cars with Wayne Carini in the last year or two.) I remember looking at the model kit at the store back when it came out.  After that he got into the crazy theme cars that were just a bunch of random parts thrown together.  Having said that, the custom car era was pretty much over by then and he was able to find a lucrative way to keep his business going, so more power to him.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/5/21 9:19 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

The Villa Riveria was dark blue metallic when it first started showing up around here, and then it was later restored to red.

I kind of liked the blue better.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/5/21 9:24 p.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/5/21 10:03 p.m.

Yes, the color was changed several times over the years.  Originally it was candy tangerine like the picture on the model box, then it was sort of a white pearl when it was in the movie For Those Who Think Young, and it may have been several other colors after that.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/23/21 12:45 a.m.

Am I the only person on earth that thinks these things are tacky useless garbage?

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/23/21 8:50 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

No, there's at least two of us.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/23/21 9:00 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Make it three of us. I'm more of a Big Daddy Roth guy myself. Not only was Barris stuff tacky, but Barris didn't even build or design a lot of it, he just hung his name on it and took the credit.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/23/21 10:40 a.m.

Sam Barris had talent:

George Barris had peyote.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
voUbOoajmvHZYgQ08XyomgLDHhFEm3tXVXASOTJqiZiYAeFdPLVIwpsbelxzV4wB