1 2
jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
1/28/10 7:44 a.m.

I'm 52 today. Somehow, birthdays don't hold the same appeal once you pass 50.

Well, at least there's only three weeks until my first autocross of the year, taking place at what I'm told is a very nice site in Geneva, FL. I'll take solace in the fact that I can still whip up on the whippersnappers.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
1/28/10 10:40 a.m.

I'm 56. I haven't celebrated a b'day in over 10 years.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
1/28/10 10:43 a.m.

Yeah, but wisdom comes with age.

Sometimes age comes alone.

At least you got "old man muscle."

Happy 52th!

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
1/28/10 10:52 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: I'm 52 today. Somehow, birthdays don't hold the same appeal once you pass 50. Well, at least there's only three weeks until my first autocross of the year, taking place at what I'm told is a very nice site in Geneva, FL. I'll take solace in the fact that I can still whip up on the whippersnappers.

Happy birthday! And remember, you're only 34 in hex.

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
1/28/10 10:57 a.m.

Getting older beats the hell out of the alternative. I'll be 64 on tuesday, and I refuse to slow down any more than I have to. You don't want to find yourself at, say, 75 or 80 wishing you had done something when you were still able. As we used to say back in the day, Keep On Truckin'!

minimac
minimac Dork
1/28/10 11:14 a.m.

52? What are you going to do when you hit middle age?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
1/28/10 11:16 a.m.
minimac wrote: 52? What are you going to do when you hit middle age?

52 is my next birthday...in about 9 months. Know how you feel.

Rustfinger
Rustfinger New Reader
1/28/10 11:23 a.m.

Ahhh...i feel better now - 38 on Sunday. Thanks guys

Disclaimer: My lungs and liver have to be at least 60

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
1/28/10 11:24 a.m.

Happy Birthday from one O.G. to another. Don't despair, Jer. I'm sure you're better at everything you know how to do than you were 20 years ago. Hopefully, you get to spend the day doing exactly what you want to do. At our age, those are the best birthdays.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
1/28/10 11:38 a.m.

Spending the day working - oh well. We'll celebrate on the weekend and go out for a steak (my one time a year I get to eat steak!). Check out this cool looking autocross site in Geneva:

Thanks for the wishes, guys.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/28/10 12:22 p.m.

I'll be 54 this year. One interesting thing about getting older is I feel like I'm several different ages every day...when I get out of bed in the morning, I feel like I'm 75. By noon I'm back to my 50s, and when I get home from work I'm about 35. The next morning, the cycle repeats.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
1/28/10 1:29 p.m.

With age may come wisdom, but somehow you can't seem to remember where you put it!

I'll be 47 this year, and it already feels old....but yeah, Birthdays are still good, it's when you stop having them that the problems really set in....

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/10 2:03 p.m.

October 13 is the Four Oh for me... I think I will stop there.

EricM
EricM Dork
1/28/10 2:21 p.m.

Birthdays, they beat the alternative. (which is to stop having birthdays...)

Soma007
Soma007 New Reader
1/28/10 2:59 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Well, at least there's only three weeks until my first autocross of the year, taking place at what I'm told is a very nice site in Geneva, FL. I'll take solace in the fact that I can still whip up on the whippersnappers.

Plus the G Stock PAX index is so soft this year you can push your car around the course and still be in the top 10

The Geneva site is nice. But the dirt road you take to get to it suuuuuucks!

Jason

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy New Reader
1/28/10 3:17 p.m.

turned 50 this past year...

can't seem to take the G loading I once did.......

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/28/10 3:43 p.m.

OK, certified Old Fart here. I turn 65 the end of May. Every day I wake up I break a family record. The thing I like most, is that most guys my age tell stories about things that happened 20 years ago. I tell stories about two weeks ago. More to come, from Haiti, baby. When I go, it will be backwards through a Jersey barrier at 100MPH, in a ball of flame, screaming "St.Peter, here I come", with a totally exhausted body. HooRah!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/28/10 4:09 p.m.
EricM wrote: Birthdays, they beat the alternative. (which is to stop having birthdays...)

'Getting older beats getting colder'. I'll be 52 in June. I have NO problem with G forces... as long as I take my Imodium.

OTOH, standing back up from a squat generates sounds like a bag of Orville Redenbacher's finest going off in the microwave.

minimac
minimac Dork
1/28/10 4:30 p.m.

"They"(whoever that is) say 60 is the new 40. I'll let you know when I get there in May. Remember when we were kids and thought 50 was old? It was. It isn't anymore. I love it when I see guys I went to school with .....at least I still have all of my own teeth and all of my hair- most of it is still dark! I can still dance without a walker, the ticker is still in good shape, and I still enjoy looking at an attractive woman. I just forget why I'm looking.......

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
1/28/10 4:45 p.m.

31 tomorrow. I still don't know crap.

jimbbski
jimbbski New Reader
1/28/10 4:59 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I'll be 54 this year. One interesting thing about getting older is I feel like I'm several different ages every day...when I get out of bed in the morning, I feel like I'm 75. By noon I'm back to my 50s, and when I get home from work I'm about 35. The next morning, the cycle repeats.

Been there, done that!

I turned 56 last Sept.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/28/10 5:18 p.m.

Only part of me that is gray is my goatee. I could shave that off, but have grown attached to it over the years. Just had to renew my passport, which meant that the picture on the old one was from when I was 54. Damn, I was a handsome dude then. No mas. Also had trouble getting through customs because I did not look like that guy any more.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
1/28/10 5:29 p.m.

That is a nice site. I dont mind dirt roads. So you put along at 10mph for a mile then you get to AUTOX or your practice your rally skills. I am also the person who has a nice fresh paint job but isn't to worried about dirt roads, cone skuffs etc. I built it to drive it right?

Congrats on the birthday. Take solice in the fact that you will whoop my butt and I am exactly half your age.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/10 7:12 p.m.
John Brown wrote: October 13 is the Four Oh for me... I think I will stop there.

John, you and I are exactly the same age. Month, Day, and Year... I turn 4-oh this october 13th too.

As far as the title of this thread was concerned.. I read it more like... getting the old stinks... like how really old people have that "smell"

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/28/10 7:32 p.m.

29 was about 2 years ago......no interest in counting after that

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jUCyqwpAOWrb3i4LZXEV1zYo3QfqUA4OyCciCHX4M4AmqKJ4ynSUyaPF15KcFfWV