1 2
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/3/14 9:54 a.m.

So after waiting for my soylent for what amounts to a year and not getting it. I have given up and gone DIY.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/people-chow-301-tortilla-perfection

as the recipe. With a couple small tweaks, and a few extra nootropics and some things I have picked up as fat burners.

Hoping for ~10 lbs of weight loss with minimal muscle loss. Sitting at about 16.4 BF right now due to a bulk and would like to get back to about 11-12% in a month.

Anybody else tried something like this.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
9/3/14 10:05 a.m.

No, but I was curious about soylent..

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/14 10:31 a.m.

My friend did Soylent, but I haven't heard any updates after the first few days.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
9/3/14 10:53 a.m.

I'd love a creamy shake that didn't have any sugar (or low sugar) and very few carbs. I've got a pretty bad sweet tooth that needs to put under control. I love coffee and cookie stuff. Any suggestions?

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/3/14 10:57 a.m.

I wish you luck, but I always look at these new revolution/fads/breakthrough plans with quite the cautious eye. Seems like most of what's in this soylent stuff can be obtained through eating actual food along with a good multivitamin (even these are scientifically questioned). In all the nutrition/exercise things I've looked into, it's always based on a solid meal plan, and then use supplements to make up what you're lacking. For me, I have a hard time digesting a lot of protein rich things, such as red meat or even lots of dairy. So I eat/drink what I can, then use a protein shake to supplement.

Also, if you're at 16.4% bf now, not sure you'd actually need to do something drastic. 11-12% is getting into the good athelete range. Also, I'd wonder if that mix is a bit heavy on the carbs and light on the protein.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/3/14 10:57 a.m.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/quidnycs-ketofood-for-ongoing-ketosis

5.71$ a day with only 7% carb's. Most people seem to have the most luck with this. I would love to do a ketosis one but I surf and ride my bike to much. The first time I tried it I bonked out at 10 miles when I can do 50 standing on my head.

100 g Organic Coconut Flour $0.42 Amazon (S)
78 g Whey Protein Isolate (Unflavored) $1.90 Amazon (S)
26 g Bob's Red Mill Chia Seeds $0.36 Amazon (S)
20 g Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao $0.54 Amazon (S)
8 g Bob's Red Mill Soy Lecithin Granules $0.15 Amazon (S)
4 g Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder $0.25 Amazon
4 g Sea Salt $0.01 Amazon (S)
4 g Potassium Citrate $0.12 Amazon
1 g Choline Bitartrate $0.04 Amazon
59.15 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil $0.72 Amazon
59.15 ml MCT Oil $1.12 Amazon
1 pill Kirkland Signature Daily Multi $0.03 Amazon
1 pill Now Foods Vitamin D-3 & K-2 $0.05 Amazon (S)

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/3/14 10:58 a.m.

Interesting. I've never heard of it. Is the theory that you could ingest only that forever?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/3/14 10:59 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Also, if you're at 16.4% bf now, not sure you'd actually need to do something drastic. 11-12% is getting into the good athelete range. Also, I'd wonder if that mix is a bit heavy on the carbs and light on the protein.

I am only at 16% because I was bulking for a while. need to cut down a bit. I cannot get below 10% or I get sick like every two weeks from the crap in the ocean. I ride and surf so the lower carb diets knock me on my butt.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/3/14 11:01 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: Interesting. I've never heard of it. Is the theory that you could ingest only that forever?

Theoretically yes. Some people have been on the mix for almost 5 months now with minimal solid foods. Blood panels that they have shown are better then before though some did find out that they needed more of something then other. Sulfer was the big one for a while.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/3/14 11:04 a.m.

I've been wanting to add bulk for a while, but haven't done so. I've been at 170lbs for at least 2 years. Haven't done a good body fat measurement in a long time, but I'm fairly confident I'm solidly in the teens. I always say I want to bulk over the winter, so it's not obvious that I'm adding some fat. But the extra calories for me would have to come from either a shake, or from added carbs, due to the aforementioned difficulty with natural proteins. I have a hard time brining myself to keep adding carbs in, even though they'd be tasty. This past winter, I had hip surgery in January, so adding calories would have just resulted in pure fat gains with muscle loss. Maybe this fall/winter...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
9/3/14 11:28 a.m.

It's people, dammit!

You don't need a crash diet, fad, soylent, whatever. You want to make a permanent change to your eating and exercise habits.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
9/3/14 11:30 a.m.

On that note, I'm off to McDonalds.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/3/14 11:34 a.m.
ScreaminE wrote: On that note, I'm off to McDonalds.

Hell, it's amazing how much McDonalds has evolved over the years. You can actually eat there without clogging your entire circulatory system. Sure, they still have greasy burgers. But they actually have some not-so-terrible things on the menu...grilled chicken, salads, etc... The key there is not covering it with a gallon of dressing or 14 pieces of bacon.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/3/14 11:56 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: It's people, dammit! You don't need a crash diet, fad, soylent, whatever. You want to make a permanent change to your eating and exercise habits.

I probably eat cleaner then 95% of the country. Just wanted to give this a shot to see how it works. When I travel I always get stomach issue because I am not used to eating out. I am hoping that I can just bring this with me and use it for breakfast and lunch and then have a normal dinner somewhere. Or when my ulcers flairs up use this to get back to normal and then put normal food back in.

Carbs are no issue for me I can get those down but I hate clean protein. I would rather eat fruit or vegetables then another lean chicken breast any day of the week.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/3/14 12:13 p.m.

I hear you...I struggle with eating the same things all the time...lean chicken breast, eggs, greek yogurt, etc...but do the best I can. My wife is amazing, she eats incredibly clean and has no trouble with any of it.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/14 12:34 p.m.
scardeal wrote: No, but I was curious about soylent..

It's made.... From People!

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
9/3/14 3:42 p.m.

I am going to go home and hug my steak and glass of red wine.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
9/3/14 4:02 p.m.

Im fat. and innactive. and need to change. 5"11 235lbs. /end crying

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/3/14 4:17 p.m.
tjbell wrote: Im fat. and innactive. and need to change. 5"11 235lbs. /end crying

No time like the present to kick your own butt into gear.

Every pound I loose is a pound my car does not have to haul around. Plus when you start bigger you have tons of muscle hiding because you need it to move your weight. So that when you loose you look better faster then those of us that have trouble adding mass.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/3/14 8:09 p.m.

So turns out this was a bit timely. I just lost a fridge full of food to a burned out compressor.

Part not available anymore so there goes 1500$ from the fun fund just left my account. So much for a Xbone.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
9/3/14 8:26 p.m.

This diy soylent intrigues me. I may have to try this. I could probably deal with a carb heavy one the next month due to some serious biking, but I'll have to search around for some lower carb recipies on that site.

I'm following, keep us updated.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/3/14 8:52 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: I am going to go home and hug my steak and glass of red wine.

This is so me, so +1

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/14 8:16 a.m.
Wally wrote:
scardeal wrote: No, but I was curious about soylent..
It's made.... From People!

that's all i had too.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
9/4/14 2:25 p.m.

So what do you mix with it, Gin, Whiskey, Rum?

golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/4/14 2:52 p.m.

Shameless self promotion here- I made the decision last May that being "a heavy guy" was no longer an excuse for me to be fat. I was sick and tired of my belts/pants getting bigger and my self esteem getting lower. It was literally a snap decision that I made one night- Bam. Done with it.

I started May 15th at 254lb and 5'11", just eating less but not changing what I ate, and mountain biking. I lost about 20lb and took a picture. From that point, I worked out... 5 days a week. Do something. anything. Get the heart going. I also cut everything processed out of my diet. I did a 'Whole30' and felt freaking amazing, so I kept on going with it. Nowadays, 95% of my meals are organic, locally sourced/pastured, and not preserved. It's not cheap, but I can honestly tell you that it's completely changed my life.

Picture of some of my progress. Keep in mind I was 20# heavier at my start-

I was 190 in that pic from February, for a 60+# weight loss. If I had to guess, I was around 15% body fat. Right now, I'm still 190, but I'm right around 10% bodyfat. Still going strong, still loving life, and most of all- confident.

I went from pre-diabetic with hypertension and on anxiety, heartburn, and blood pressure meds to nothing in a little over a year. I did nothing special. I know it's terribly polarizing, and I'm not pushing/advocated for it, but all I do now is Crossfit 5 days/week and not eat like E36 M3. It's so remedially simple when you break it down. Anyone can do it, and it doesn't take a liquid only diet to get you there.

Anyways. Just thought I'd share. If anyone wants more specifics as to my exact diet/anyhting else, I'd be happy to delve in. I'm now a certified personal trainer/nutritionist with NASM/ACSM/ISSA... Yes, it's changed my life THAT much, and I couldn't be happier.

As a side benefit, My Cobra Suzuka actually fits me nicely in the racecar too!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n0H6bYArFkYfEWcfaH19WlotehqKXjcsNFFB2mZBJ8d4901agsTIznNZ2YTqbqG5