1 2
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/16 12:38 a.m.

Really? Did they have to?

What the berkeley is a Golden Knight. I like the logo but the name sucks donkey balls. Couldn't have gone with Desert Knights?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/23/16 12:53 a.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/23/16 4:10 a.m.

They're the Army's parachute demonstration team.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
11/23/16 5:26 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: They're the Army's parachute demonstration team.

That's what I thought this was going to be about too

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/23/16 8:26 a.m.
STM317 wrote:
Appleseed wrote: They're the Army's parachute demonstration team.
That's what I thought this was going to be about too

Me too. What's the issue?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/23/16 9:22 a.m.

At least it's not the golden showers.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
11/23/16 10:20 a.m.

Seeing as I live in THE SILVER STATE, the choice of "Golden Knights" makes no sense whatsoever.

I'll probably go see them when they play the Red Wings, though!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/23/16 10:27 a.m.

I had to google it...I guess this is about the name for the new NHL hockey team in Las Vegas?

Las Vegas seems like a weird place to have a hockey team anyway.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/23/16 10:40 a.m.

If they wanted something fitting the city, perhaps:

Drunk Sweaty Gambling Addicted Hooker

Or they could have gone with:

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
11/23/16 10:43 a.m.
aircooled wrote: They should have gone with:

Perfect!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/16 10:51 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I had to google it...I guess this is about the name for the new NHL hockey team in Las Vegas? Las Vegas seems like a weird place to have a hockey team anyway.

I am of the belief that the existence of natural ice should be a prerequisite for an NHL franchise. You don't have to use it (natural ice sucks to skate on most of the time) but it has to happen. So, all Canadian cities (we'll give Vancouver a pass here), Boston, NY, Chicago, Denver - you guys are good. Florida, California, Nashville...no. Send the boys home to places that want them like Waterloo.

Somehow, though, Vegas is a completely artificial place. And given the magpie tendencies of the city, having gold in the name makes perfect sense. Either that or call them the Bedazzled Swarovskis or something.

It's a good logo.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/23/16 11:02 a.m.

Las Vegas actually should be a decent place for an NHL franchise. Despite warm weather teams typically having trouble getting fans, the fact that it is in Las Vegas should mean that fans will go. Besides that, it has a population of... what, 2 million in the area? And with no professional teams there (major professional) they should be the big draw.

I know my dad would make an effort to go whenever he is there on a trade show.

bearmtnmartin
11/23/16 11:18 a.m.

I have a natural bitterness for expansion teams anyway being a Canadian, but mostly I was disappointed in the name. They had a "golden" opportunity to make a play on any number of themes and in the end they opted for lame.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/23/16 11:19 a.m.

I thought the name was bad enough already.

Margie

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/23/16 12:00 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/23/16 12:01 p.m.

Silver something would have been better.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/23/16 12:20 p.m.

At least it's better than The Rumble Ponies

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/16 12:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I am of the belief that the existence of natural ice should be a prerequisite for an NHL franchise.

Keith, you're right about so many things, but you may be off base here. There are lots of transplants in the area from colder climates. At the game I went to last week ('Canes and Habs) there were as many Montreal sweaters in the stands as there were for the 'Canes. Granted, attendance isn't all that great, but many people in the area are attached to our franchise. Plus, you can walk up the night of the game and get a ticket to see a team like Montreal play. Try that in their home stadium.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/23/16 1:15 p.m.

I will be intrigued with attendance numbers there. Flying to Vegas from here can be a pretty cheap thing, so it might be first choice for people out of major markets to see a game. It could easily be folded into a boys weekend of peelers, gambling, Ferrari driving and hockey.

Slightly related: It was fun this past baseball season to see the huge number of Blue Jays jerseys in the crowd when they played in Seattle.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/23/16 1:33 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: I have a natural bitterness for expansion teams anyway being a Canadian...

By that rational, there would only be 6 teams. The upside would be that I'd get to see the Hawks play the Wings more than twice a year.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/23/16 1:38 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
bearmtnmartin wrote: I have a natural bitterness for expansion teams anyway being a Canadian...
By that rational, there would only be 6 teams. The upside would be that I'd get to see the Hawks play the Wings more than twice a year.

The rivalry is dead. I really would like to trade Nashville for Detroit.

Although Nashville is an awesome city, and I might visit there and see a hawks game. And Nashville is berkeleying awesome this year (just you wait, I know they're not so hot right now, but just you wait... they're going to be a team to beat)

bearmtnmartin
11/23/16 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Well just mostly the fact that that Canada is sort of the talent pool for the American league nowadays. I may change my mind if the Canucks ever figure their E36 M3 out.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/23/16 1:55 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: In reply to Appleseed: Well just mostly the fact that that Canada is sort of the talent pool for the American league nowadays. I may change my mind if the Canucks ever figure their E36 M3 out.

Canada has the players, but no one to buy the product. Do you want the NHL at all?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/23/16 1:59 p.m.

The rivalry dies when people like you let it die.

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour? No! Nothings over till we say it is.

Detroit still sucks.

bearmtnmartin
11/23/16 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Agreed! also chicago.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cZtD8mWmymZKs5QWLHq97fw0xVDreXQNmcWRO6bZhD3ydWSGF7GzfwlStZwhgFW6