1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/23/18 10:10 a.m.

So, being a mechanic in an i-device household has forced me to become an iphone fixer.  These things, as you know, do not like to get wet, yet somehow their owners find ways to dunk them.  Most recent success was a new screen and digitizer assembly on a 6S.  I replaced the battery first, but the screen was bad.  New screen install went well.  Dunno if the bad screen borked up the new battery, but battery life is sub-par.  I figure I'll put one more battery in it and see if that improves it. 

Where's the go-to for good replacement batteries?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/23/18 10:21 a.m.

I don't know if it is the best price place, but I have bought a few things from https://www.ifixit.com/ 

They have all the special tools if you need them and very good step by step guides.  Definitely a place you can trust, but maybe(?) not bottom dollar price.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/18 11:34 a.m.

I usually get the from Amazon. Check the description since some kits come with all the tools and some are just the part. I found getting a bag of extra screws helpful too. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/23/18 11:42 a.m.

Yes, I have found that Yontex includes every tool you could possibly need, which is very nice.  Not sure how good their battery is, though.

JAGwinn
JAGwinn New Reader
8/23/18 6:35 p.m.

I second the ifixit website! Kit comes with battery, tool kit, new glue pad and instructions on performing the replacement and instructions on CALIBRATION OF THE BATTERY.

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/23/18 6:57 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I second Ifixit.  I've bought several batteries and replacement screens for the family's iphones.  They have all the tools and tutorials to help

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/18 1:20 p.m.

I think I paid like $25 to get my iPhone 6 battery replaced at the Apple store. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/24/18 3:24 p.m.
Slippery said:

Well, poop!  I wish I'd known that a few days ago!

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

"Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com."

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/18 4:55 p.m.

I actually order them from paddling threads on here when they pop up. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/18 6:18 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Slippery said:

Well, poop!  I wish I'd known that a few days ago!

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

"Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.

If you paid the full price, call them and they will reimburse you the difference. My wife paid the full price and they sent her an email telling her she could claim the difference. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/24/18 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Oh, no.  I didn't pay full price.  I just assumed they were a pack of thieves and decided to do it myself.  LOL.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IHqOcTSjd5iFX1nT31pMefmdlmafOcCOGSVvS7KbRtIFx5SyCkDs1sru9S2FvQrJ