1 2 3 4
JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
1/12/10 5:34 p.m.

How about Hell is for Heroes?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
1/13/10 7:49 a.m.

Not sure anybody said it, but Saving Private Ryan is also one of my favorites. I think the landing scene is the best that's ever been done. It reminds me of Band of Brothers, which I watch every time it comes on.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
1/13/10 11:22 p.m.

I don't know how willing they would be to revisit WW2 again, but the producers of BoB/The Pacific ought to do something on North Africa or the Mediterranean.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/14/10 12:16 a.m.

Not movies but...I'm thinking about buying some of the history channel mini-series. For around $30 you get 8-10 hours on about 3 disks. Picked up Patton 360 for Dad for Xmas and thinking about getting WWII in HD.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
1/14/10 12:32 a.m.

WW2 in HD was good. Very good. More than any other documentary (and I watch tons of Discovery, History Channel, Military Channel, National Geographic and all their International versions) it really drew me in. I felt like I was there. I was able to view those Corsairs landing on the decks of the aircraft carriers and see troops get sent off to fight a war that, at the time, nobody knew if we would win. It wasn't just that it was in color. They set the right mood and I was better able to understand how someone witnessing the Normandy invasion - either from a newspaper back home or the inside of a C-47 - wouldn't think of it in a nostalgic, rose-tinted way WW2 enthusiasts do today, but a terrifying, tense gamble. Nobody today can accurately say they know what it feels like, but I don't think I've ever seen another series that does such a good job at presenting World War 2 as people experienced it, rather than World War 2 as people recall it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oh3mr45GGuecGH86e8EMXEHk4sj9wFtiNkKVTXOLpzMFY62o7Jip7rDQG9jq01sE