Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/9/23 12:29 p.m.

Learn how Google Password Manager secures every sign in

No thank you.   I will pass on this.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/9/23 12:33 p.m.

I use it for what are essentially throw away accounts that have no link to the actual me and I don't really car if I loose.  I also use a junk email account when an email is needed.

I would never use it for anything that has any need to be secure.  ESPECIALLY important if your computer does not have a good password on it to log into it.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/9/23 2:01 p.m.

What is a good password manager? 

My MIL has all of their accounts and passwords, printed on paper, on the back of one of their kitchen cabinet doors. 

The problem is managing the password updates. 

When I was in my 20's, most of the bills were in my wife's name, except my loans. Now, most of them are in my name, and she's always wanting to know their status, but can't access accounts. That's challenging when we've got 4-5 accounts just to pay mortgage+utilities. Not to mention all kinds of other accounts we share for kiddos. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/9/23 2:07 p.m.

I have "heard" people like this one, but I have no experience:

https://www.lastpass.com/pricing

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/9/23 5:22 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Learn how Google Password Manager secures every sign in

No thank you.   I will pass on this.

The YouTube video at the bottom that actually explains it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8cEpOyQslk

So I'm curious what specifically about how it works makes you not want to use it?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
2/9/23 6:00 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

1Password works well and is easy. 

andy_b
andy_b Reader
2/9/23 8:08 p.m.

BitWarden is a well regarded password manager.  

LastPass was hacked recently.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/10/23 7:33 a.m.

I use bitwarden for personal and keeper for corporate 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
2/10/23 9:19 a.m.

2 factor authentication with google passwords has worked great for me. beats trying to remember the 200+ passwords I have created. The autosuggestion passwords allow for me to not have the same password to every site. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/10/23 9:54 a.m.
lnlogauge said:

2 factor authentication with google passwords has worked great for me. beats trying to remember the 200+ passwords I have created. The autosuggestion passwords allow for me to not have the same password to every site. 

I have 2FA for everything (even accounts I don't want it on that vendor makes me), including work which takes 3 separate passwords to even get to a point I can work. 

But I'm still curious why OP is so against Google's password manager, vs another companies password manager that also puts it in a cloud. I just want people to elucidate why they don't like something vs just being "that's new I don't like it"

"I hate technology.............as I post from my smartphone that listens to me and tracks everything I do"

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/23 10:11 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Exactly. It's like they don't realize EVERYTHING they've EVER done online or even adjacent to online is recorded and tracked.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/10/23 10:26 a.m.

Recently I had the occassion to read the agreements you sign when you use Google and others.  After reading them I refuse to use any product that is Google.

Google is the only one that you agree to allow them to use ALL THE DATA that flows through them in any way they see fit and that includes Gmail.  You can't opt out

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M3QRml5KKiqyKoFLUNDFU5VhhD3htdDHiuhX0zpDPI2RLuQ5qtSWYLoyOodE797M